Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Home Office #KnifeFree campaign: what’s your take?

chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
edited August 2019 in Politics & Debate
Here at @The Mix, we’ve been discussing this tweet from the Home Office official twitter account. The tweet is part of an ongoing campaign to tackle knife crime, after the massive surge in knife-related deaths, by sharing stories of those it has impacted. The personal stories are printed on boxes which will be distributed from a number of popular takeaway chicken shops. 

MPs and public figures have branded the move "offensive", calling out the campaign for it's racist overtones. 
Dal Babu, a former chief superintendent with the Metropolitan Police, said: "This initiative seeks to target chicken shops because the assumption is that's where young black people go.

"There's a racial element to it - it stereotypes people, it's patronising and I can understand why people see it as racist."
Check out the full story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49352330

What do you think about the campaign? What should be done to tackle knife crime?

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    edited August 2019
    Why is it so hard for this government to make the connection between heavy budget cuts to public services, youth services and welfare, and rising knife crime?

The chicken shop thing is ridiculous and badly done for a lot of reasons, and it's the same when Sadiq Khan gets flack for it as the Mayor of London - it's just scapegoating the issue. For me, anything about this is overshadowed by just how easy it is to see the cause of and fix to this problem. Look after communities by funding the services that are designed to support them, and this kind of thing doesn't happen - or happens much less. It's so infuriatingly simple.

The other viewpoint here is that they know about that connection and are well aware of why knife crime has risen, but it's simply not important enough for the government to tackle when they're busy funneling that money into tax cuts for the wealthy. I don't think there's any argument over whether dying young people need that money more than someone who owns two yachts. This feels like quite a token gesture; a way for the government to look like they're doing something about this issue without actually doing something.

We have someone in number 10 right now who is the embodiment of privilege and is very politically smart, and has become very good at putting on this relatable, goofy Londoner act. But it's not just Boris; we need a government with better priorities, and one that is run by human beings instead of aliens pretending to be people.

Interested to hear what you guys think. :) Apologies for going off on a bit of a rant!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    Why is it so hard for this government to make the connection between heavy budget cuts to public services, youth services and welfare, and rising knife crime?
    @Mike because there too busy up there on there high horses to realise that there taking money away from services that need it the most .

To put it in perspective the youth centre I work at up until 4 years ago they ran a summer programme for 13+ - Monday to Wednesday based at the centre 10-4 and Friday we was taken on trips and we paid what £20 for the 4 weeks they ran this because we had enough of the funding from the council to do this and yet for the last 4 years our funding gets slowly cut lower and Lower to the point off we can only open 2 and half hours maybe 3 hours , for 2 days a week (Tuesday and Wednesday ).  Whereas we used to be open 4-8 Tuesday and Wednesday and 3-6 on a Thursday and have needed to cut the age range they run the older club from around 21 down to 17.

And the chicken shop things really ? Because that’s the assumption where black young people go , no offence but would they be making assumptions that you’d find white young people in day the chip shop or the pizza shop.

people moan that young people are getting in trouble , there terrosing people , taking over spaces for young children yet there the ones that cut the funding to youth services which provide somewhere for them to go so find the logic in that ! 🙄

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2019
    Hey. Sorry I don't have much concentration to read the campaign so for now, I'll just answer this 
    What should be done to tackle knife crime?

I think the extreme would be to only selling these knifes in shops
    TRIGGER WARNING just incase 🙂(picture of a knife)
    Although I still see that as dangerous apperntly it's harder to hurt someone with it and lot less fatal. And works totally fine as knife should in a kitchen because it's rounded

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Shaunie said:
    Hey. Sorry I don't have much concentration to read the campaign so for now, I'll just answer this 

I think the extreme would be to only selling these knifes in shops
    TRIGGER WARNING just incase 🙂(picture of a knife)
    Although I still see that as dangerous apperntly it's harder to hurt someone with it and lot less fatal. And works totally fine as knife should in a kitchen because it's rounded

What next ban screwdrivers?

The problem is cultural and so the fix must be cultural too. Further investment for social services in poorer areas and increased funding for the police are the two obvious measures that are needed.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    edited August 2019
    [deleted because I'm worried I'm misinformed or something ahah]
    Post edited by Kathleen07 on
  • Options
    Rant away @Mike haha

You're absolutely spot on about our underfunded youth services. I have some personal experience both as a recipient and a volunteer with my local community centre - resources are woefully lacking. I have no doubt that the government are well aware of the connection. 
  • Options
    Hey @Kathleen07 :)

Don't worry about getting something wrong! Everyone is welcome to share their views <3
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    edited August 2019
    Thank you @chubbydumpling, I guess I'll share :)

I think you need to tackle it by the roots. What psychologically makes someone turn violent? They could be incredibly angry, hear voices that tell them to do it, be threatened into doing it... It's all gonna be different really.

I think something that could help, and that I just think should exist in the world anyway, is to make sure people with violent thoughts get treated with more understanding and that they can get the help they often need. Make sure there's somewhere they can turn to - a helpline, the police or a doctor, etc - who will provide a caring and non-judgmental ear and can take measures to stop them from hurting people if need be (such as a mental hospital. Or prison, except what I think should be what prison is. Rather than as a punishment and depriving you of your basic human rights, I think it should virtually be a building with security, sort of like a care home or something, for dangerous people). Not everyone is going to reach out, but I honestly think a few would and that it could prevent deaths.

Also, as I said, we should live in a world of love, not hate and revenge and selfishness. So in that world of love, I think that's a better approach.

I also agree with Shaunie about only selling those sorts of knives in an extreme measure, and Aidan about having more police patrolling areas.
  • Options
    Great insight everyone! 

Some good ideas there @Aidan, especially the focus on rehabilitation and incentives. What do you think of the Word 4 Weapons knife surrender bins? 

I think you're right about getting to the heart of the issue @Kathleen07 - a lot of young people carry knives because they feel threatened or have been threatened into doing it. Like @Skive says, it's all about steering youngsters away from gangs. 
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Last week was the time of the year people can give up knives anonymously at police stations and designated spots. From what I saw a huge amount of knives were thrown away which is positive 

Another thing in the news recently has been about taking the pointy end of knives away to prevent stabbings and decrease knife crime, however I feel the knifes will still be used to slash someone.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/09/24/britains-first-stab-proof-kitchen-knife-launced-bid-combat-knife/
    What's your opinion on this?
    I hope this is the right thread to post this. Didn't want to make a new one when a thread about knife crime is already here.
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ever tried to cut a sweet potato with a dull knife? We all know how that works out 
  • Options
    It's great to see the discussion is still going, guys @GreenTea @Aidan! Totally agree with you both about this. 
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    These stab-proof knives are a waste of time. There are many tools and implements that can be used as a weapon. You goona ban screwdrivers next?

It's a gang cultural problem and needs to be addressed as such. 
    Weekender Offender