Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help

Charley7Charley7 Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
Hi, I’ve needed to go and see a doctor about my mental heath for a long time, and have finally decided to do it. I’ve just wanted to ask what the process is like and how to get started? Because the idea really scares me but I need it. Thanks

Comments

• Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    edited August 2019
    Hey! Thank you for posting about this it is a brave thing to do.  <3

I understand that going to see a doctor about your mental health can be a frightening thing to do, so really well done for getting to the point where to feel ready to go.  :)

What do you think scares you the most about talking to them?  <3

There is a good article here, about speaking to your GP about mental health which is worth a look at:

https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/mental-health-treatments/going-to-see-your-gp-about-a-mental-health-problem-6835.html

From my experience of talking to them, I really found that writing down what I want to tell them really helpful and is a good starting point, so that could be bullet points about how you are feeling and your thoughts around what help you think would be beneficial. You could either use it to refer to in your appointment or give it to the GP to read, if that is easier. 

The GP would help you through talking about what has been going on and may talk through what options they have available in terms of support. Most GPs are really understanding and clued up on mental health and will want to help you the best they can.

Let us know how you get on!

Butterfly x

• Charley7Charley7 Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
    @Butterfly23 thank you so much! The support really means a lot and I don’t know why I’m scared, I just know I am 
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey,

You say you don’t know why you are scared, which is okay. Sometimes we can feel emotions and not have a reason why. 💓

Butterfly x
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Hi @Charley7

It takes a lot of courage to admit you need help with your mental health so well done for taking that positive step - the discussion boards are a great resource for support.

It's completely natural to feel scared as you are doing this for the first time - what support do you have from friends and family? How would you feel about possibly taking someone with you to the appointment?

As @Butterfly23 suggested, writing down a few notes about how you have been feeling in the past few weeks or months can be a helpful way to gently remind yourself what you want to discuss with the doctor. Doctors are usually very understanding about mental health as around 40% of GP appointments in the UK are related to mental health.  

If you want any support from the community in the meantime, feel free to join one of The Mix's Support Chats which are announced here

If you feel comfortable, please let us know how you get on at the appointment  <3
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Heyy,  we will be supporting you if you decide to see your gp. Really good you want to do that and takes a lot of courage <3. It can feel scary to open up. You have done well to seek help here! They're only there to find a way to support you & want what's best for you.  

It also may be worth booking a double appointments if you feel 10 mins may be too short. You can book double for 20 mins. I think. 

How are you feeling today ?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

It's great to hear that you want to talk to your GP - that's the first step to getting on the road to recovery! It's effectively a discussion about what you're going through - in particular, they're looking for anything that prevents you from living a functional daily lifestyle. As previously mentioned, writing things down beforehand allows you to have everything you want to say on record, so they can follow along as well. Hope all goes well!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.