Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Body Image

LuluSliderLuluSlider Posts: 1 Just got here
Hi, this is my first post so I thought I'd start off with something important to me. I've struggled with body image for years, criticizing things I can't change and ignoring the things that I can. I've  faced body shaming from people I know and from strangers online. Today I'd like to say that I am done with this. I am done with feeling bad about how I look. Today, I am going to start focusing on being myself and accepting who I am. I am going to focus on becoming a better person on the inside. If anyone feels like they aren't good enough, I am here for you. Each and every one of you is special and beautiful in your own way. And if you don't believe that yet, then I am here for you every step of the way. 

Comments

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Hey, Welcome to the mix :)

im sorry you've had to go through this, but im so proud of you for choosing to focus on yourself now :) so well done for that.. I too have struggled with body image, and know how hard it is to change the mindset, but it is SO worth it! let us know how you get on and I wish you the best of luck with it! <3  
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2019
    Hey welcome !

so proud of you for posting this and choosing to accept who you are <3 I know how hard that can be. This can help others and you can definelty get through this. Thank you for inspiring us <3 we all deserve not only to accept ourselves but to love ourselves. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey and welcome to the mix! We are glad that you have found us.  :)

I'm proud of you for opening up to us as I know it isn't easy, and what you are going through is really difficult, and I know as I am going through it myself. You are inspiring in the way that you speak, and I really hope that things get better for you soon! You sound like a really strong person!

Take care,

Butterfly x
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular

hi @LuluSlider

I love love love this post! We should all embrace our bodies - flaws and all - and take some time to focus on the amazing things our bodies do for us!

The Mix has some great articles about body image and body positivity too to keep us inspired:

https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/body-image-and-self-esteem/heres-how-i-learned-to-love-my-body-28633.html

https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/body-image-and-self-esteem/building-self-esteem-5940.html

https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/looking-after-yourself/being-positive-6284.html

Also check out this amazing charity Body Gossip "that combines Arts and Education to empower every body to be the best version of themselves and rock their own brand of gorgeous.":

https://www.bodygossip.org/home