Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sertraline

Sammyh94Sammyh94 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited August 2019 in Health & Wellbeing
About a year ago I was on sertraline for a month or so before I stopped taking it due to my mum not letting me anymore (whole other issue there haha) so didn't really see any improvement. Anyway now I've decided to give it another try and took my first tablet today. So just wondering what peoples experiences are of it, eg did it work/how long, sickness et?

Comments

• Mia_mooMia_moo Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    Hey ❤️ 
    I have not personally taken this specific medication, but any kind of antidepressant usually takes around 4-6 weeks to build up x 
    You may find this useful to look at the time scale and side effects (sickness, etc): https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/sertraline/
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    As @Mia_moo said it usually takes about a month to take full effect, I found this one really helped me, like I had more energy, I felt more motivated and could actually get out of bed in the morning 😂 sadly they took me off it to try a stronger one which is shit haha, hope it works for you .. let us know how you get on 😊
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2019
    Heyy!

Antidepressant work for everyone differently, I've heard sertraline helping for people and not helping them.  I hope this one helps in some way. Also with any antidepressant you have to also put in the work too otherwise it won't work completly by themselves. 
    ive tried sertaline but it made me feel sick so I stopped it but side effects don't last the whole time just hated feeling sick tbh.  But I hope it helps for you. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    I've been on quite a few things and I'm not too sure if this was the one that effected my ability to swallow along with inducing sleep apnea.

Getting through side effects is tough but you know yourself best and if you start feeling like you might harm yourself or others let your gp know ASAP! 

I went cold turkey after realising that my medication was inducing really abnormal thoughts. I definitely don't advise doing it unless you're under the supervision of your gp though 😉

• Sammyh94Sammyh94 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Thanks for all your responses :)
    Feeling abit sick already but not too bad so fingers crossed it will have had some positive effect by the time I see the doctor again for my next lot
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Welcome Sammy, it's great to have you here :blush:

Feeling sick sucks. Let us know how you get on, and we're always here if you want to talk about anything :heart:
  • CarolineVCarolineV Posts: 133 The Mix Convert
    Welcome to the boards Sammy! It sounds like you're feeling positive about your medication, even if you're feeling a bit sick. 

As everyone else has said, different medications can affect people differently, but it's great that you're aware of the side effects and know that they will hopefully pass soon.

When are you seeing your doctor next?
  • Sammyh94Sammyh94 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi sorry haven't been on for a while.
    I have a months worth of tablets so maybe in 2 weeks i'll see the doctor again. I'm not entirely sure I want to continue, dunno if its all feeling abit too real taking tablets
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Is it still making you feel sick? One of my meds made me horrifically sick so the Dr prescribed me promethezine, you can buy it over the counter too, and that seemed me work for me 😊 worth speaking to the Dr about 😊 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    edited August 2019
    Hey @Sammyh94

How are you feeling so far with the tablets? Do you feel any positive effects? It might be too soon to tell but sometimes they work quite quickly on people.