Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

ED relapse

SebJSebJ Posts: 4 Newbie
I've had an eating disorder for a long time, but for a year or so I was doing pretty well with it and eating the right amount and maintaining weight. But recently I've been diagnosed with some chronic physical health problems and it seems to have led to a relapse in my eating disorder and not wanting to eat. I think it might be linked to not being able to do exercise like i'm used to, or even walk that much, because of my health problems. I've been trying to get professional help for my mental health but I've just been on waiting lists for months and never seem to get anywhere. People say to ask for help but it doesn't seem like medical help is actually available. I'm a guy and the support group near me only allows women.
Is anyone else experiencing an eating disorder / want to talk?

Comments

• golfgolf Posts: 1 Just got here
    edited August 2019
    Yeah I'm here to talk if you want

I went to bed btw I'll check this tommorw of you still want to talk 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2019
    Heyy welcome

i have an eating disorder too & im here if you wanna talk more, can understand how hard it can be <3 it's really good you're reaching out and having that self awareness & shows you wanting to get better - which for an eating disorder can be the hardest part. I don't personally use it anymore but Beat website has some support  https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/

have you had pervious support for your eating disorder? I've had CAT therapy for diagnosis of anorexia and although most of it was shit i try to remember some of it to help me
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • SebJSebJ Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thanks very much to you both for replying! I have had some previous mental health support but it didn't really focus on the eating disorder part of things, more the depression and anxiety. I do still try to use some of the things from that treatment to help, like you said with your CAT Shaunie, but it's hard to use it on the ED stuff because there's always that conflict of wanting to get better vs being attached to it and wanting to keep going. I hope you are both doing okay :)
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Hey @SebJ .. How are you doing now? 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • SebJSebJ Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hey @BubblesGoesBoo , thanks for asking, I'm still finding eating hard but I've been on the beat website suggested above and talked to people in the chat rooms a couple of times, and it's been helpful, so I feel like I have a bit more support now :) hope you are doing well?
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey I understand the two mind sets. One that says want to recover and other doesn't. I hope you can listen to one that wants to recover. There are many pros to it even when other part says different. Its awful to have a life revolve around food. It's hard and am relapsing into anorexia right now myself but I understand that feeling. Glad Beat has helped you! <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Hey @SebJ

Welcome to the Mix, it looks like you have already been made to feel very welcome. 

It's good to hear that you feel like there has been progression over the past few days and that you feel better supported. 

You mentioned in your initial post that you thought your relapse might have had something to do with you not being able to exercise anymore like you used to before the diagnosis. As someone who doesn't feel myself when I haven't exercised, I can understand how difficult this must be for you. 

Is there a new form of exercise or a new activity that you might be able to start? Exercising can often produce a state of "flow" in our consciousness, where we forget about the past and future, and switch off our self-conscious brain - in a way, we feel completely in control of the present moment. There's no reason to say this same state of flow can't be achieved from a different activity - perhaps yoga, painting, or pottery?

I understand I may be completely barking up the wrong tree, but I wanted to offer my perspective just in case it is helpful.

Keep on communicating, your voice is a refreshing addition to the Mix :) 
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey,

It's good that you have created this thread as I think it will help many people, I personally don't struggle with an ED however I do know how hard they can be to fight, and I just want to say well done for posting here, it is a really brave thing to do. <3

Butterfly x