Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Feeling lonely since birthday

It was my birthday not too long ago, I had the time booked off work but I think that was a mistake. I’ve never felt so damn lonely in my life, no one said happy birthday, no cards and just a text from my dad while they’re off on holidays. I tried playing some games alone but I just felt really down and haven’t been able to enjoy myself since. I’ve never been the social or talkative type but for the past two weeks I’ve just been getting worse and worse and it feels like it’s not going to get better. Any advise please?

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Welcome to the boards :smile:

I'm so sorry. It sounds really isolated and miserable to have no one around on your birthday.

Were you having problems before your birthday, or has it only been since? Do you think it could help to see a doctor or anything?

Sending you hugs :heart:
  • LibbyLibby Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    Hi, I've felt lonely for a while as well but I don't have any advice as my family say that these feelings are in my head and they don't really have anything else to say about it.  Im sorry to know that you feel like this and i understand these feelings as Im not talkative either. I hope this changes soon because you seem like a really nice person to talk to xxx
  • knownaslonerknownasloner Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    Hey.

I’m sorry to hear your birthday was so tough. I can imagine how that loneliness feels as I’ve been in the same boat for a few years. But I’m finally starting getting back on my feet and YOU can, too.

Have you considered joining a support group? There you can meet other people going through similar experiences. Maybe there would be someone you could connect to? Even just one person can really help make you feel less alone.

Another option is talking to someone you can trust [maybe your local gp?] about how you’ve been feeling. Venting or expressing feelings can help you feel better, especially if you’ve been bottling it up. 

I can see how you believe that it won’t get better but it will. You just haven’t met the right people who care yet. You said you’re never been sociable or the talkative type but sometimes you’ve got to get a bit out of your comfort zone to meet people. 

Wishing you all the best, I’m here if you want to talk further but no pressure. Apologies if I was no help.  <3
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey,

Welcome to the site! i hope it felt better & less lonely to share how you're feeling here. Birthdays can feel like the loneliest times soemtimes and doesn't help when already lonely <3 . You said you had time booked off for work but maybe a mistake - are you back at work now? Do you have any friends at work that you could start speaking more with? For me I am kinda too hard on myself for not being as sociable as most but It's actually really hard to be sociable sometimes & can take time & you're doing well in trying & thinking about it. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • knownaslonerknownasloner Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    Idatzi zure iruzkina