Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Calling the REAL ravers....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
...not the ppl that go to a club or concert and say they were "raving". I'm talking about the old skool dance classics, if "Shooting Star" means anything to you listen up.
Apparently L.A. (USA) is the place to be right now for us. I'm going out there in a week with some mates. Let's see if these rumours are true.;)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am a pretend raver. I like happy hardcore to do the housework to. I didn't know they had even heard of HH in the USA.
    happy hardcore is good. Childish and great, re-live the flava! I think it's a new thing to them out there, but they are lapping it up
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Proper music!

Yeah, but the reavers in the US are all pink and fluffy with thousands of glow sticks and dummies that go round saying P.L.U.R to everyone. It makes me sick. Raving is about image, it's about loads of people coming together to forget about everything for a couple of hours get totally spandangled on drugs and listen to some wicked tunes.
    ...not the ppl that go to a club or concert and say they were "raving".

You mention real ravers yet hardcore in this country is almost always played in indoor licenced venues and clubs such as the Sancturay or Bagleys. Real raves are still held illegally but are almost always Acid House/Hard Trance raves, held by people such as Tribe of Locust, and Outlandish.

Having said this there is a big difference between a event like Slammin Vinyl and a club like Godskitchen and it's not just about the music. The atmosphere at Salmmin is more like the atmosphere at an illegal rave, it's underground, and it's quality. There's a big difference between raving and clubbing.
    I'm talking about the old skool dance classics, if "Shooting Star"

Blimey ...is this what being considered Old Skool now. :p

I started listening to hardcore, Techno and Jungle back in '95 and went to my first rave a year later when I was fifteen, since then I've been to Tazmania (RIP), Fusion (RIP), Slammin, Dreamscape (RIP), Skelter, Destiny, Hardcore Heaven, Oblivion, GHB and over 30 Adrenalins, and I still go as much as I can though mostly for the D&B. Hardcore has become really trancey and although I still love it, it's not what it used to be.

The more BPM the better. People can diss it all they like but there's no other music that can get me feeling as good as hardcore.

Weekender Offender 
    Lucky...I would love to go to Helter Skelter..is there going to be any similar events this year?
    On the subject of shooting star, has anyone come across the cover version on the music channels ? flip and fill or someone ? It seems its set for a re-launch :eek:
    I know what your taling about ebb. It is crap!!!! I ain't into hardcore anymore but i used to be and the old version is way better. Flip and fill have ruined one of the only decent hardcore tunes (in my eyes)
    I haven't heard it but saw it on a new MosS album and was confused.
    nice history you've got there Skive. Fraid Shooting Star is known as old 90's music now. Funny thing is everybody loves that tune. the remix is total shite. So long as the ravers stay loyal to some of the best music ever, i think we'll see it come back.
    Just a quick note: Relentless, makers of the "Bonkers" Hardcore CD's are releasing and new one in the next couple of weeks, i think its called 'The rezzurection' mixed by hixxy, sharkey & sy:D
    Re: Proper music!
    Originally posted by Skive
    Yeah, but the reavers in the US are all pink and fluffy with thousands of glow sticks and dummies that go round saying P.L.U.R to everyone. It makes me sick. Raving is about image, it's about loads of people coming together to forget about everything for a couple of hours get totally spandangled on drugs and listen to some wicked tunes.

You mention real ravers yet hardcore in this country is almost always played in indoor licenced venues and clubs such as the Sancturay or Bagleys. Real raves are still held illegally but are almost always Acid House/Hard Trance raves, held by people such as Tribe of Locust, and Outlandish.

Well, there's a lot of truth to that. We call them "candy ravers", they're usually about 16-18, have the pacifiers and glow sticks, and do really babble P.L.U.R. to everyone. Although, they don't really bother me, everyone likes to do their own thing. And they aren't "all" ravers out here, older ravers in their 20's don't really do this, we go to see the music and do the drugs. It's an unfair stereotype.

We still have many illegal desert raves out here. The first time I ever went one it was two hours east of L.A. in the middle of nowhere. Those are what you want to go to. It's nice to go to a club, but then you have to worry about not looking so fucked up that you'll get thrown out, or pay $7 for a bottle of water.
    Originally posted by w0lf
    happy hardcore is good. Childish and great, re-live the flava! I think it's a new thing to them out there, but they are lapping it up

ROFLMAO! I don't think anyone who might consider themself a 'real raver' (whatever the fuck that is) would be caught dead listening to happy hardcore. Its a joke genre. Nothing like old skool hardcore at all really.
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    Lucky...I would love to go to Helter Skelter..is there going to be any similar events this year?

Skelter nowadays is all about D&B :) and Garage :mad:, however there are plenty more events still going which are like the skelters of old. Have a look here Events for a shed load of wicked nights. Slammin Vinyl is probably the biggest event for underground music now, it seems to have taken Skelters place. At Slammin you're likely to find Hardcore, Hard House, Hard Trance and D&B.
    Originally posted by Blagsta:
    I don't think anyone who might consider themself a 'real raver' (whatever the fuck that is) would be caught dead listening to happy hardcore. Its a joke genre. Nothing like old skool hardcore at all really.

Why? Pretty stupid commentif you ask me. I think that garage is a pretty stupid music genre yet there are thousands of 'badbwoys' that disagree. Old skool I like just as much as Happy Hardcore, but different strokes for different folks! Old Skool's what got me into the scene but the music had to progress.

Hardcore nowadays isn't really happy or 'cheesy' as some might call it, it's very much trance influenced, but it still retains the 4-beat.

I'm waiting for the one like the Justin Vinyl (Credible) to comment on this thread, I know he used to love it. :D I've heard stories mate. ;)
    Weekender Offender 
    Originally posted by ebb
    On the subject of shooting star, has anyone come across the cover version on the music channels ? flip and fill or someone ? It seems its set for a re-launch :eek:

I can't stand the flip and fill version :mad: ...but there is a Stimulant Dj's remix on the CD...Methinks its out on monday! :)
    Originally posted by Skive
    Hardcore nowadays isn't really happy or 'cheesy' as some might call it, it's very much trance influenced, but it still retains the 4-beat.

Exactly my point. Hardcore isn't 4-beat, its breakbeat (at least the stuff I was raving to in 1992 was anyway). Happy hardcore is quite different. Has that crappy 4/4 kick over the breaks (why for fucks sake? Totally ruins a good break). All the ragga/dancehall/reaggae/hip hop influence seems to have been removed as well, which is what made it so great in the first place (IMHO).

My point was that most people who were into hardcore in 91/92 generally can't stand happy hardcore. In fact a lot of the ragga UK garage stuff seems to have taken the lead from hardcore...some of its fucking wicked. :)
    Originally posted by Blagsta

Hardcore isn't 4-beat, its breakbeat (at least the stuff I was raving to in 1992 was anyway). Happy hardcore is quite different.

As with all music you get different genres with sub genres and so on. There are many types of hardcore music - old skool break beat, gabber, freeform, happy hardcore... etc. The hardcore you're reffering to is generally labled as old skool on flyers nowadays, not hardcore, but I don't think it's really worth arguing about what's 'hardcore' and what isn't.

Personally, I enjoy the music from 94-96 the most, probably because this is when I got into it, and it's from this period where I have all my best memories - listening to Druid at the Rythm Station or Rat Pack at Skelter and Top Buzz at Dreamscape. It will never be the same.
    Weekender Offender 
    Oh yeah, its all IMHO of course. :)

I just prefer the old skool stuff, it has (for me) much more musical worth than happy hardcore (which is just crap IMO).
    Shooting Star isn't a classic... its not old skool

Samplemania, Toytown, Searchin 4 my rizla, Love of my life, Paul Elstak or anything by Charlie Lownoise/Mental Theo

If we're going further back 'out of space' or 'let me be your fantasy' and 'set you free'

:p

Thats what I originally went to all the raves to hear; Hysteria, Asylum, Pleasuredome, Dreamscape, Vibealite, Slammin Vinyl, Hardcore Heaven.. :p

... ok now I feel old!
    Originally posted by Justin:
    Paul Elstak

...was quality, as was most dutch hardcore.

These are classic tunes with some real audio links:
    Groove Control (http://www.djstrike.freeola.com/audio/groove_control.ram)
    In Complete Darkness (http://www.djstrike.freeola.com/audio/in_complete_darkness.ram)
    All U B*stards (http://www.djvision.co.uk/ra/impact/imp045a.ram)
    Weekender Offender 
    You cant argue with the classic nature of dancin to Toy town in a venue like the Drome (RIP)
    Its a real shame that place closed down as anyone who went to a Raindance there will know.
    Have any of you been to a Future Dance event, I went to a couple at their old venue down the old kent road before it became a tesco.
    "Come take my hand, and lead me to the land... where dreams come true for me and you in a magical wonderland!!"

I'm wearing my Raindance t-shirt as we speak... :)
    Originally posted by bongbudda

Its a real shame that place closed down as anyone who went to a Raindance there will know.

I went to the last Raindance at the Drome, and it was a fucking awful event. It wasn't the music but the heat and the fact it was jam rammed.

1 matey died from heatstroke and they blamed it on pills but there were dozens more suffering from heatstroke and dehydration, bouncers were letting people in through the exits, and bassically the atmosphere was so uncomfortable it made me physically sick.

I could see that in it's day it was quality but that place was dangerous!
    Weekender Offender 
    A mate of mine went to that last Raindance there too. It was a shame really because it was a really good venue.
    As you siad they just over filled it.
    The problem was the management had changed since its last event. I went to what turned out to be the last proper party at the drome before it changed. An Antiworld one (dont know if you know it) and then there were licence problems and the management changed and were supposed to revamp the place. But all they did was over fill it, people died and now its a car park.