Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

finding love online

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
is it just me or do people always meet people who seem wonderful, then they never hear from them again? this is very annoying...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Love On the net hmm. I hate the sound of it and think that it is pointless and stupid :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by madinthenut
    think that it is pointless and stupid

Not as pointless and stupid as you.
    A while back I would of dismissed it as all very Jerry Springer, but been about this place it seems good people have met good people and i don't see anything wrong with that :)
    I think finding love online is good so long as your very careful. I don't go looking for love online but I have dated people online before. I've found mates online and then chatted to them for a few months and both my feelings and hers change to fancying them.
    Originally posted by Kermit

Not as pointless and stupid as you.

And why is that?? just because I thought that relationships on the net where pointless and stupid?? well If I am not aloud to give my opinion then whats the point in having a forum!:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by madinthenut

And why is that?? just because I thought that relationships on the net where pointless and stupid?? well If I am not aloud to give my opinion then whats the point in having a forum!:rolleyes:

You did give your opinion and Kermit gave his :rolleyes:

Anyway back on topic, I think online love is down to the individual. Its not for me, but I'm sure there are people out there who have had many a happy relationship over the net.
    Why do you think they're pointless?
    Ok I think that they are pointless because you are talking to someone who you don't know, you don't know what type of background they have and its so much diffrent from going out and finding a girlfriend/boyfriend because you can talk to them and see who they really are and what type of person they are!

Ok don't get me wrong there are some online relationships that have worked out but to me its just not the same as going out and meeting someone!
    No its not, you know what they are like before you go out with them with net relationships. Internet people show more of their true character than any club pull could ever do.
    No its not, you know what they are like before you go out with them with net relationships. Internet people show more of their true character than any club pull could ever do.

Ok yea I do understand some people are into online relationships but its just not my thing.. No more fighting :p

*Agrees*

As most of the regulars know i met someone who i had been speaking to online for a few months & now we are together & have been for almost 6 months.:D
    [whispers] Kermit is right [/Whispers] , people can be themselves online, although not all people are like that.
    Anyways my opinion is that it can be cool as long as you have sense.
    Re: finding love online

In reference to the pointless and stupid thing, well, it's just one in the many number of ways to meet people. Doesn't seem stupid to me at all. There seems to be this stigma attached to meeting and falling for people on the net, that all people who do so are desperate and can't get someone IRL. I don't know. That's how it is with some people I know. They all joke about and make fun of one of the girls I know who met her bf online and has been with him for almost a year. Silly really.

Back to the question...
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    is it just me or do people always meet people who seem wonderful, then they never hear from them again? this is very annoying...

Do you mean you never hear from them on the net again? Or never hear from them in 'real life' again? :confused: Or both even?
    Yes, but madinthenut, it helps if you a personality that doesn't have to compete with wet paper bags. Then you might have a bit of luck finding love anywhere.

Daisy, very good point about the whole stigma, but when I look at the relationships I know...it's a mixed bag. There's some very, very successful ones, like the frogchicken's, and the canary's. There's some that I regret being so successful, and there's others that just should never have come to fruition. But yeah. It's just another place, with all the usual advantages and disadvantages.

Ehm...bottom line opinion: yeah, why not.
    what ever gets you going. if you virtually meet some one and getting chatting to them, why not start online relations with them. Personally wouldnt though as i dont think it is the safest place to meet people. but that doesnt mean i would stop anyone else doing it!
    Originally posted by Eddie_Hitler
    what ever gets you going. if you virtually meet some one and getting chatting to them, why not start online relations with them. Personally wouldnt though as i dont think it is the safest place to meet people. but that doesnt mean i would stop anyone else doing it!

People in 'real life' are just as dangerous as those over the net. :p
    i honestly don't see why not,

for me, personally, it all revolves around being able to be more open/more myself online. Which for someone with limited self confidence has to be a good thing,

yup!
    ..what's the difference between the net and a phone call?

Or for that matter, being introduced to someone at a dinner party, (or wherever it is you guys go - I'm old fashioned, so bite me) that you've never met, and making conversation?

Love online is a possibility; to dismiss it would be to close one's eyes to a distinct reality.

*maybe considers buying a cardigan and slippers*
    :rolleyes: That's my brother a'right *Glares at Chaos Insomniac*

When you're old enough I'll take you to some bars or summat. I'm not a believer in online relationships because of the distance. They're a lot more fun when that person's there in your arms though. I mean, well I'm not the best at keeping in relationships... but an online one? You don't know who you're talking to and what their intentions are.
    Originally posted by Creeper
    When you're old enough I'll take you to some bars or summat. I'm not a believer in online relationships because of the distance. They're a lot more fun when that person's there in your arms though. I mean, well I'm not the best at keeping in relationships... but an online one? You don't know who you're talking to and what their intentions are.

i think there needs to be some sort of differentiation here, i think what people are meaning are meeting someone online and going on to form a relationship in real life. an online relationship, is something completely different, surely??! if the net can bring two people together then that has to be a good thing!

distance is no object really, it can work, so it can. surely though you don't know someones intentions when you meet someone in real life.

i have to agree, it is so much nicer when they are that much closer.

carry on,
    A lot of people seek to find love through the Internet. Fair enough, it's up to them.
    What I don't understand is why they can't just get up off their butts and get out the house to look for someone.
    More and more of these 'Find a Date' websites are encouraging an increasing number of people to do so through the net, which I personally would never do.

Okay if you meet a guy or a girl through the net, and you think they're great etc. but there are so many things you don't know about them that you would know through meeting them in real life. First impressions for a start are usually based on body language and looks.

People who you meet online are not always what they seem to be, so I think surely it would be far more sensible to seek love somewhere else.

Finding love online - it happens. Happened to a friend of mine. But she didn't go online for the sake of looking for it. She wanted to meet new people, maybe make friends or whatever. I reckon people should base online relationships on friendship first, rather than jumping to the issue of love, especially when it is somebody you've never met before.

And maybe after a friendship is formed, you've actually met up with them etc, who knows what may happen....
    I've never fallen in love with anyone on the internet so I can't speak about that properly but I know I wouldn't go looking for love on the internet...then again I wouldn't go looking for it anywhere else either. I'm guessing some people have some insecurities which make them feel less confident IRL so feel the net is the solution for them.

But people keep saying that people on the internet are not what they seem. How do you know that anyone is? Just because you've physically met someone doesn't mean they can't be hiding something or deceiving you.

I would think that a relationship which developed online would require friendship first. I know this isn't so IRL but I guess that's due to the whole physical attraction thing.

I personally think the internet is a good thing if it can help bring people together. Like I said before, I've never fallen for anyone on the net but I'm not against it. If I started to talk to someone and thought they were truly wonderful I wouldn't discriminate against a possible relationship simply because I'd met them over the net. Sometimes these things happen.
    I'm not sure about the idea of purposefully looking for someone to love online. People do it IRL so why not on the net? I'm not sure. That bit leaves me confused but people are lonely creatures so if this makes them feel better, why not?
    oops, i am on my sisters user here! time for a change...
    Do you mean you never hear from them on the net again? Or never hear from them in 'real life' again? Or both even?

i mean on the net, i haven't met any of my online friends.

being 15 (and therefore under age) i can't look anywhere else (too young for bars/clubs, would get beaten up asking someone out) and i am looking for an adult, so it really is my only option...
    How long have you talked to these people on the net for?

When you say you are looking for an adult how old do you mean? What's wrong with girls your own age at school or something?

And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get beaten up asking someone out...:confused:
    Online is no different to real life, in that you wouldnt really fall in love with someone youve never met before. But meeting someone new is safer online, really, cos when you eventually do meet up at least you know sort of what the person is going to be like. Or, at least, you know more about them than you would a random in a club.

True online relationships are pointless...you cant cuddle and kiss over a computer, but if you meet online its great. I met my fiance online, and shes one of the best people Ive ever met.