Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weekly challenge #104

StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
edited January 2023 in General Chat

Hey Folks, so for this weekly challenge we are doing a learn a new fact a day challenge .

Feel free to share the facts on this thread, we look forward to reading them. <3

Also feel free to vote for next weeks challenge :smile:

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Weekly challenge #104 7 votes

Lyric challenge
57% 4 votes
Social media detox challenge
42% 3 votes
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Have some baby facts 
    All babies grow a moustache , lose it and then eat it in the womb 😂
    All babies can cry in the womb 
    All babies can laugh in the womb 
    all babies wee in the womb and then drink it 😂
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    The world's farest diesel train is held by England back in the British rail, its the class 43 also known as the intercity 125, it maximum speed is 148mph (238km/h) but is restricted to 125 mph (201km/h) due to having no incab signalling

It produces a total of 2,250 house power, that's two and a 1/8 of a bugatti veyron engine produces,

I try to remember to drop more facts of train over the week 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Scotland's national animal is a unicorn 👌😂
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    edited July 2019
    The untied kingdom has the oldest rail network in the world,

9,824 miles is the total length of the system and 
    3,339 miles is electrified 

It's one of the oldest but also one of the safest rail networks in the world 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    a fact about the history of coffee:
    9th-century goat herders noticed the effect caffeine had on their goats, who appeared to "dance" after eating the fruit of the Coffea plant. A local monk then made a drink with the produce and found that it kept him awake at night, thus the original cup of coffee was born.
    More facts 
    The national rail network is made up of 2,566 stations, but 4 new stations have opened this year but we take away one of them due it only a train operating company is just running trains their in the summer and its owned by a heritage railway company,

The four new onces are 
    Kenilworth (been too)
    Meridian Water (doing today) 
    Maghull North (going to at some point)
    Corfe Castle (the odd one, going to next year) 

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster

These facts are all about the 2014 version of Annie which is a film that I have recently been watching. 

Alan D Purwin was the pilot of the helicopter in the 2014 version of Annie.

He was killed in a plane crash just 11 months after the film was released.

Sandra Bullock was originally considered to play Miss Hannigan. She declined the role citing once how she hates musicals and vows to never star in one.

In the beginning of the film, the blackboard filled with presidents' names also has Thomas Meehan, the writer of the original musical's book as well as Charles Strouse who wrote the music and Martin Charnin who wrote the lyrics.

The Italian restaurant that Annie visits is name Domani which is a translation of tomorrow which is the title of the musical's best known song.

In 2011, Will Smith envisioned the film as a star vehicle for his daughter, Willow Smith with Jay Z playing William Stacks. By the time the production was ready in 2013, his daughter was too old to play Annie.

In the 2nd and 3rd installments of the Austin Powers trilogy, Dr Evil performs his own renditions of Will Smiths "Just the Two of Us" and Jay Z's "It's a Hard Knock Life."

This movie's version of the song "It's the Hard Knock Life" omits the original's line "You'll stay up till this dump shines like the top of the Chrysler Building" but the film later includes several aerial shots of the top of the Chrysler Building.

When William Stacks is serving mashed potatoes, he quotes The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990) which starred (and in later seasons was produced by) Will Smith who was a producer of the film.

Ryan Murphy was an early contender to direct the film. He declined.

When Stacks rescues Annie from getting run over by the truck, the shot includes a building sign "Punjab Imports." Punjab was a character in the Little Orphan Annie comic strip and in Annie (1982 version.) He wore a turban, was probably a Sikh and added to the exotic, worldly aura of Daddy Warbucks.

When Stacks has lunch with Annie for the first time, the level of water in his glass repeatedly  changes.

The social worker refers to the living room of the penthouse as being the star ship Enterprise in regards to the size and number of chairs.

When Annie is about to sing "I Think I'm Going To Like It Here" she jumps on the 2nd stone in the water display but the camera quickly cuts to another angle where she has jumped on the 1st stone.

The film within a film "Moonquake Lake' is a thinly veiled satire of Twilight and Avatar.

When William Stacks takes Annie and her friends to a movie, the movie's cast members are named Andrea Alvin and Simon Goodspeed. Andrea McArdle played Annie in the play's Broadway premiere at the Alvin Theatre. Goodspeed is the theatre where Annie premiered before Broadway.

When Annie and Grace are about to leave Domani, Grace puts her chalk in the cannoli box. It's in her hand a split second later.

The incumbent mayor is named for Harold Gray, the original creator of Little Orphan Annie.

SPOILER ALERT COMING UP!!!

In a homage to the Daddy Warbucks character, William Stacks is actually bald but he just wears a wig to hide it.

At a bar, Guy and Miss Hannigan see a band named Leaping Lizards which is a popular catchphrase from the Little Orphan Annie comic strip. Aileen Quinn, who played the title character in the 1982 film has a band with the same name.

Although the film was due to be released just before Christmas, the film was released online three weeks early due to hackers.

Justin Timberlake and Brad Pitt were allegedly considered to play William Stacks.

Jamie Foxx played William Stacks.

Quvenzhanè Wallis played Annie. She has one sister and two brothers. She had her first acting job audition at 5 years old. She beat 4000 others in the audition to get the starring role in Beasts of the Southern Wild although she was supposed to be at least 6 years old to audition.

Rose Byrne played Grace.

Bobby Cannavale played Guy.

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje played Nash.

David Zayas played Lou.

Cameron Diaz played Miss Hannigan.

Zoe Margaret Colletti played Tessie.

Nicolette Pierini played Mia.

Eden Duncan-Smith played Isabella.

Amanda Troya played Pepper.

Dorian Missick played Annie's fake Dad.

Tracie Thoms played Annie's fake Mum.

Mike Birbiglia played the Social Services Inspector.

Stephanie Kurtzuba played Mrs Kovacevic.

Peter Van Wagner played Harold Gray.

Ray Iannicelli played the Waiter at Domani.

Michael J Fox played the part of himself.

Victor Cruz played the part of the teacher who was shown at the start of the film.

Taylor Richardson played red haired Annie who was shown at the start of the film.

Sia played the Animal Care And Control Volunteer.

Derrick Baskin played the auditioning Dad.

Pernell Walker played the auditioning Mum.

Bobby Moynihan played the Guy in the Bar who made a comment about William Stacks.

Mila Kunis played Andrea Alvin.

Ashton Kutcher played Simon Goodspeed.

Rihanna played the Moon Goddess.

Scarlett Benchley played the Fish Goddess.

Pat Kiernan played the NY1 Reporter.

Brittany Connors played the Biking Girl.

Aldous Davidson played the Biking Guy.

There are 47 scenes in the film.

There are also more characters that were uncredited who joined the celebration of the opening of the Stacks Literacy Centre.

The cheerleading squad at my school which I am part of decided to do a version of It's the Hard Knock Life." And no it is not on YouTube or in a film. It was just a bit of fun. 

"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    BTW, my facts are in a spoiler due to being so many and so people can choose whether or not to look at it. I recommend that people who haven't watched the 2014 version of Annie should avoid looking at too many of the facts. 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    Moving onto crossrail now 

Crossrail aka the Elizabeth line runs from reading alone the great western main line to Paddington where It goes underground and splits at Whitechapel and one branch heads towards Abbey Wood and the other to Shenfield,

the total track length is 73 miles long, due to fully open end of this year but has a two year extension when I will be hopefully done in 2020 or 2021

The units being used are called class 345s and if you look to your left when going into London on the great western main line after a station called action main line you can see all the units sat at Old Oak Common waiting to be used,

the 345s have a max speed of 90 mph and are made up of 9 carriages and you can walk through the whole train, they have 450 seats and 4 wheelchair spaces and hold a total of 1,500 people per train including seated people, 

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Of course we have to have some Young , young adult and adult carer facts 
    1.It’s now estimated  there is 3 Carers in every classroom .
    2.The average age of a Young carers Is 12/13
    3.The economic value of the contribution made by carers in the uk is £132bn a year 
    4.45% of young adult carers reported mental health issues 
    5.one in four carers is a mental health carer 
    6.50,000 children and young people are looking after someone who is mentally ill 
    7.young adults carers are 4 times more likely to drop out of college and university courses.

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Ooh I have a fact I know. 
    Well actually this is just probably something everyone knows and I'm just so stupid to only realise

the weekend is called the weekend because it's the end of the week!!!
      Let's not pretend you already knew lol. I can't be the only one to just realise haha. Probs cause I don't think much about words just it is called that 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited July 2019
    Shaunie said:
    Ooh I have a fact I know. 
    Well actually this is just probably something everyone knows and I'm just so stupid to only realise

the weekend is called the weekend because it's the end of the week!!!
      Let's not pretend you already knew lol. I can't be the only one to just realise haha. Probs cause I don't think much about words just it is called that 
    but surely the end of the week is the sunday 

i dont like that, i wanted to unlearn that fact from my head
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    Thank you for all the facts folks, I have learned lots of new things through this thread :heart: 
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.