Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Training to be peer support worker

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    edited July 2019
    So proud of you getting distinction Shaunie you should be so proud of yourself ! Distinction is equivalent to an A i think so so amazing and big fat hugs well done to you ❤️
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    That's amazing @shaunie, so proud of you 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Really proud of you shaunie! Knew you could do it well done xx
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Well done shaunie you worked so hard and really deserve it! So pleased for you 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Aw! Thank you al so much !!! <3<3<3
    it is equivalent to an A so im still suprised aha. Ive looked at detailed feedback and guess dont give myself enough credit.

i was reallyy happy with knowing i atleast reached a pass. So am just trying to be kind to myself & actknowledge things have achieved -like just getting onto the corse was a hard competition, and things like going everyday, completing all the work on time in such short time, all the anxiety provoking presentations & work experience & communication assessment, exam & all that and i got a good grade after, so just trying to see positives & things can achieve :)

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie, you have achieved so much 💗 you should definitely appreciate them ☺️

Is is there anything that you could do to treat yourself for doing so well tonight? 

Butterfly x

edited July 2019
    Thank you!
    not sure. Will do best to enjoy friday.(graduation) but now atm Im too busy stressing about speech for graduation and coming up with nothing lol  They have given us pointers and i still dont know 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Congratulations! :) From what I've seen you worked really hard on this despite going through a tough time, which is a real achievement in and of itself, let alone getting the highest possible grade. From my perspective, it seems like you definitely deserve it aswell. I see can see why you'd still be stressed about your graduation though, but I bet you can carry all this positivity and momentum through and do well again. 
    edited September 2023
    Thank you <3

omg fml graduation is tomorrow :(. None of my family will help me make a speech. Why does there have to be a graduation. Why does there have to be a speech:(. Don't NHS have other things to spend time & money on.  This is more stressful than anything from the corse lol
    theres going to be lots of people I need to say this in front of. Every graduate has guests.  they're graduating Peer support workers and peer mentors too:( and every graduate has guests. So tooo many people :'(. And they will take picture and put it on CPFT social media's apperantly. Safer to stay in bed I think lol. 

Please can someone help me urrgently lol

Here the pointers they gave us

How do I start:( who do I say thank you to? What does "parts of your journey that have particular significance for you" even mean. Does that mean MH recovery journey - not the training? Does "your success and strengths" mean in general and not just from the training. Im guessing what learnt -is from training. Basically I'm confused on if there's question are about specifically the training or MH recovery. (Since Peer support workers use MH to help others). I think it means to include good parts of MH recovery but idek.
    idek how you word there's things let alone the answer to them :'( also going to town to find dress lol. Last minute person. Never good idea

Post edited by JustV on
    yeah speaking in front of people is scary, but you've already achieved so much this should be no different. The way I read it, is that it's related to your course -- but you're MH is a big part of that and could be used to support your speech, if you feel comfortable saying it. 

Thankyous: I'm sure it can't have been easy for you studying sometimes, especially during bad moments, is there any body that helped made it possible for you? any teachers, family or friends that motivated you while you studied? 

Moments of significance / strength and successes / learning: is there anything you're proud of learning or accomplishing during your course? your MH could be used to support this in that it's something there that you can feel positive about it. That you worked for it and achieved as such. Also that after your studies I'll bet you're better able to talk to others who're going through a lot aswell. If so talk about that (without details I imagine), and talk about how being able to help someone else made you feel better.

Where do you go from here? what has the course enabled you to do now? 

This was just my interpretation of it, but I hope having a few more ideas will help you feel more confident. Best of luck with it all :)
    Thank you!

i feel like crying lol.
    But i just messaged one of the people from the corse and she hasn't wrote down what she wants to say yet either. So atleast not only one. She doesn't know if the questions mean MH recovery or the corse either. I think can add MH recovery since yeah PSW that's main thing for them but parts that are significant for my journey is the training. and remember on last day of training he said to actknowledge your mental health in some way. 

Next wensday should be seeing the peer tutor for 30 mins for feedback on good parts and where to improve. Dreading that too since is the day I have my first appointment with rape crisis for emotional support that day too

It's okay to be apprehensive about it, sounds like a pretty heavy day. Which order are those appointments in if you don't mind me asking?

Will be with rape crisis first then the my peer tutor:( rather other way round. 

My sisters dont even seem to wanna come to graduation and feel am forcing them & they seem moody. And don't think they think is a big deal. They go like "so what are you doing with your life after this?" "Are you going to do another corse and further education" "this is really good for your CV" - like its something I will do nothing actually with. And I'm just thinking whattt this is a career that I want & is a good career & actually high level of education.
      I just need to learn to drive cause most PSW jobs need that. 

So stressed. I feel like everytime i try to speak about graduation with my family they just shut me out and its like what is wrong with it. Is it because it's a job that clearly states you have signifcant MH challenges and been under services and they're ashamed orrrr. 
    Nothing wrong with it, you've got a path and a plan, and graduation in itself is really a reward for your hard work, even though it's been stressful. And oh, so you're worried you're gonna be really emotional by the time you go to your peer tutor?
    Yeah. 
    I cant find dress lol am so picky.cant tell if too dressy or too casual and hard to get middle. . Are jumpsuits okay to wear. If looks ok. 

My sister read it as MH journey not training. Now confused aha
    afraid dress advice is where my knowledge ends XD
    Ahah. My sister coming and she knows more fashion than me aha
    life stressful should stay in bed. 

My problems are pathetic lol sorry
    nah don't say that, got a right to feel upset and pissed off at the shit in life ^^ speaking of bed though, I've been up all night on here so I think I need some serious sleep XD
    Hey @Shaunie

as far as dress wear, considering you mentioned this is a graduation, a traditional wear would be a dress bu then again i don't see a jumpsuit being the right fashion for the event.

but then again this is fashion advice from a gay male soo 

Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
    edited July 2019
    Aha is cause I've been on website typing in peer support workers and think its pictures of their gradation and not your typical sort but they're a lot older than me so hard to compare cause tbh I wouldn't wear that so i don’t know.i think is graduation pictures. umpsuits can look okay and formal.  Ive brought 4 things lol cause am that Indesisive   Cant even afford 
    Shaunie said:
    Aha is cause I've been on website typing in peer support workers and think its pictures of their gradation and not your typical sort but they're a lot older than me so hard to compare cause tbh I wouldn't wear that so i don’t know.jumpsuits can look okay and formal.  Ive brought 4 things lol cause am that Indesisive   Cant even afford 
    you didn't buy them because your indecisive, you wanted a wide selection to pick on the night of the graduation, 

sending love and hugs and cute cat pictures   
    🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🐱🐱🐱🐱
    Maybe ask your peer tutor what they think is a good choice, see what's most suitable and return the others? If your tutor is unavailable, perhaps email somebody about it, if anyone springs to mind.
    Thank yous! I asked other people and I think a jumpsuit will be okay and said they can work just as well as dresses. I got jumpsuit from newlook, so will just wear that. Plus I accidentally did my self harm too far down & still fresh and hard to cover to be wearing dress

I wrote draft of speech & I don't think is as long as should be but maybe if I speak reallyyy slowllyy or add to it maybe will be okay. Maybe need to add to it cause feels bit like random sentences idk lol

"I'd like to thank you for this opportunity and thank you to everyone who has supported me through my journey including peer tutors, everyone on the training and my family.Through therapy groups I found this opportunity. I did goal setting with my group in occuptional therapy and I'm so happy with achieveing one of my goals this year.  I've learnt how to support people and share my story appropriately. At the moment I'm keeping an open mind for jobs roles but I'd like to work with CAMHS or on a ward"
    Sorry to hear you recently self harmed. Despite everything going on with your peer support work, don't forget to address the things that're getting you down.

A couple of additions you could make to your speech: 
    Is there anything you learned on the course that was particularly interesting or insightful?
    How has achieving your goals helped you personally and allowed you to move onto the next one?
    Why would you like to work on ward or with CAMHS?

As to what you've already written, it reads nicely and I don't see any repetition. What really matters is that what you're saying means something to you. :)
    Thank you @Spook98

i would say I wanna work with CAMHS and on a ward cause I know how feels and have experience there. But i don't think I should say that considering they have told us that you can relate to every single person even if they have different diagnosis to you and relate to the fact they're under services and are struggling. But i don’t know if they meant that just about diagnosis 
    You sound like you have it well in hand :)
    edited July 2019
    Welll lol done speech. Was awful. Not going to lie. 
    I had panic attack I think or was dying at one point(not in speech). Only part that was good is that I didn't regret my choice of clothes cause people did go very casual and some went v formal. I Felt Inbetween so was okay.  
    And i didn't say what I even wrote I was too nervous to even read I can't even remember what I said. And after hearing other people's i was thinking ommmg I need to say more about my mental health seeming everyone spoke about that so made up stuff on spot  A ll I know is I start with "hi I'm shevaun, and I'm really nervous tbh but as already been said 'what's the worst that can happen' so I will just try" then I spoke load of shit. . And i was soo agitated when speaking like idek where to put my hands. There was a mic and people taking cameras everywhere.  So I started to get really figgity when speaking which is embarrassing since they're taking picture so I look all over the place looool

isnt this embarrassing.??? (In spoiler) Like where is my legs and hands and they put these shit all over their social media

Fml. I cant keep still when that anxious embarrassing :'(

Post edited by Siena on
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Well done @Shaunie <3 

I hate public speaking too, I know how stressful it can be but it sounds like you did a really great job! At least it's over and done with now, and you can enjoy your success. You also look lovely! 
    Thanks. But now I feel empty but heavy& sad(some how). & empty lonely too.  Not going to be happy no matter what I achieve or what changes in my life. Always empty after. I think i want to die. 
    Hey @shaunie

How are you doing today? 💗

Sorry to hear that you are feeling alone and empty and that you are struggling ☹️

You’ve done amazing with completing your peer support training and graduating, and other achievements like making the speech at the grad. So I’m proud of you for that, it can be hard to feel like we aren’t moving forward in life, but it’s important to remember what you have achieved and cherish them💗

Butterfly x