Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Top Tips for Staying Safe in the Summer Heat

chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
edited July 2019 in Health & Wellbeing
Since temperatures are climbing, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for people to leave their top tips for staying safe and protected during the summer months. Here's a few to get us started:

• Always apply sunscreen - although technically you should wear an SPF all year round, it's especially important to keep your skin protected from around mid-April to September. The NHS website recommends that you wear an SPF of at least 30 to protect against UVB, though SPF50 is preferable. Make sure to apply liberally, and don't forget your ears and feet!
  • Stay hydrated - this one seems really obvious, but a lot of people don't stay adequately hydrated during summer. Don't forgo water in favour of fizzy drinks! 
  • Plan ahead - if you're going to be outside for extended periods of time throughout the day, make sure to check your weather app not just for the temperature, but the pollen count and UV index as well. That way, you can stock up on hay fever medication and appropriate sunscreen.

Make sure to comment with your tips below!

Comments

• Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Great tips!

My top tip is to always remember to pack your sunglasses - it is so important to protect your eyes!
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Great tip @Han93! Hats too! Your eyes and the skin on your scalp are two of the most sensitive places on the body so it's really important to protect them. 
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    My tip, be aware of the medication you take! Some medicine especially anti psychotics can make it harder for your body to regulate body temperature so you're more prone to heat illnesses! 💕 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    That's a really great point @BubblesGoesBoo

I would suggest having a good amount of time each day out of the sun. Too much sun can cause headaches and general feeling illness, even without realising its happening. Take care of yourself!
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Great tips! Hard to think of others.

I'd say if you're not someone who spends a lot of time out doors and has a trip outdoors coming up, to spend a bit of time outdoors everyday before and slowly increasing your time outside. It can be a big shock to the body if you suddenly spend several hours outside in the sun if you haven't been exposed to it much before. It might save you from sun stroke if your body is prepared!
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    A good one to remember is that you should replace the electrolytes lost sweating,

It's good to hydrate in the heat but is equally important to remember that your electrolytes need replacing too. 
    Think electrolyte tablets and or smart water! 

If you have mild heat exhaustion(really hot, headache, confused, nauseous etc)
    Get inside,  get cool(get a cold shower,  put feet in a bucket of water,  or a cold flannel on your head)  Raise your feet,  lie on a sofa and keep them raised slightly. Drink plenty. 

Liquids lost through sweat while laid down need replacing more than through exercise. 
    While hydration with exercise is important,  our bodies hold the liquid(retain it) to preserve it,  it's important to sip and not gulp :)

Remember if you're ever concerned or worried the NHS website is your friend x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Putting cold water on pulse points
    have a cold shower and leave hair wet
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    As someone that had heat stroke on the 29th June, when it was 33°C and didn't even go outside

Keep hydrated but make sure you don't over hydrated yourself and spend the night in the toilet being sick like I do a far bit, 

If you do any of the symptoms of heat exhaustion (mentioned above) and your outside head home or rest under some shade for a bit, if it feel like it's getting that bad then call someone to pick you up.

Yoy may feel quite nauseous or confused or really hot, just go an lay down for a bit with ice or something cold around you (tonight's dinner maybe because that need defrosting)

If you feel dehydrated it's normal a sign that your quite dehydrated, a good way to tell for males (idk if it's the same for females) is if your pee is a darker shade of yellow or orange then you need to drink some water, if its colourless then your alright and just stick with sipping water, if your peeing a lot every hour and it colourless you might want to hold back on the water 

Cold showers as their quick you can just jump in abd out, as other have said, leave your hair wet, 

Dont use fans when sleeping if you do have alleges as it blows dry mucus into your nasal passage which can cause it to be blocked and can send dust up their too

If your room is warming then it is outside or if their is a bress then open your window but close the curtains or blinds, to stop the sun light from heating up your room more 

I keep reading what tips others have as I struggle a lot in the summer
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
    Excellent tips @Laine

Smart water is definitely worth it - I've only just recently started drinking it. 

This is really insightful @davcr0ck! I'm sorry about your heat stroke, it sounds awful <3
    My tip, be aware of the medication you take! Some medicine especially anti psychotics can make it harder for your body to regulate body temperature so you're more prone to heat illnesses! 💕 
    @BubblesGoesBoo Yeah my medication falls under being a pain to manage heat, let alone my body just being terrible at it managing heat
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
    Laine said:
    Think electrolyte tablets and or smart water! 
    @Laine wait as in the smart water the bottled water that you buy in shops?? 
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Yeah @davcr0ck

electrolytes can be replaced through diet,  but if people don't have a varied diet or exercise/stay in heat for an hour or longer replacing them is a good idea. 

You can get tablets In most shops but the smart spring water you buy bottled is vapour distilled and has electrolytes in them 

Some regular spring waters do too,  I think princes gate does,  just read the label :))

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Thanks for these tips guys! I’m awful with heat 😂
    These are great tips guys, keep 'em coming! 

Like @BubblesGoesBoo mentioned, it's really important to be aware of the medication you take. But also essential not to forget to take it. For me, even missing one day can trigger withdrawal symptoms like dizziness and nausea. Those can be 10x worse in the summer heat.
    These are great tips guys, keep 'em coming! 

Like @BubblesGoesBoo mentioned, it's really important to be aware of the medication you take. But also essential not to forget to take it. For me, even missing one day can trigger withdrawal symptoms like dizziness and nausea. Those can be 10x worse in the summer heat.
    Or ending you up in hospital because its kind of life threatening and have your cardiologist yell at you, (yeah I've forgotten to take my walfarin a few times)