Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Post of the month - May

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited June 2019 in General Chat
Hey everyone,

It's time to vote on your Post of the Month winner for May. For those of you who aren't familiar with Post of the Month, each month you can nominate threads and replies you've seen on the boards. We then put up a poll and the reply with the most votes wins Post of the Month.

Here are the nominations below:

1. @kathleen0172's reply in '..... no title'
Hey NatalieMT

I just wanted to send a big hug. I can really hear how much you're hurting right now  

The world never felt so sad
I have never felt so small and lost
Purpose in life but I feel so lifeless and empty
I hate the word defeat but I’m a representation of it 
I feel like a helpless child 
It sounds like you're feeling really miserable and depressed, would you say so?

If you want to talk some more about how this feels and what it's like for you, we're always here to support you 3

You know I don't see you as the representation of defeat, at all. You're still breathing, you're still looking after your daughter, still opening up about how you're feeling... You're still here. And I'm glad and think you're strong (hopefully being told that doesn't make you feel worse haha).
Can you miss feeling like you belonged to someone? Even if that someone is not a nice person?
I believe you can, especially if that person wasn't nice or abused you, and that's a valid feeling. It could be because it's all you've known, because you feel disturbed or can't process what happened.

I say just how trapped I am how low for fear of losing the most important person to me.

Only if you feel like sharing, I wondered if that's your daughter, or is it different?

I understand how you feel around saying your thoughts - we most certainly won't judge if you ever do feel up to it.

Much love and strength 3

2. @Aidan 's thread 'Help in being more supportive

Hey everyone, I hope you're having a nice day!

I also don't know if this is in the right place, so you mix moguls feel free to move it joy 

I'm an honest guy, but I think I'm too blunt and hurt people's feelings sometimes. It's negatively affecting my skills with people and my relationships. I want to be more supportive of people.

I came back to the mix a few weeks ago after some time off, and I've been trying to be supportive on here to help other people to make it right. But it takes me a while to write a reply, because I go over everything in my head over and over again to make it nicer or more supportive, and it gets hard without following a formula and making every reply basically the same reply, I'm just not sure if everyone else has to go through so much effort to be nice and if it comes naturally to some people.

There are also issues that I won't touch on or try to help with, because I think the issues are too sensitive for me and I feel out of my depth.

I want to learn to basically be nicer, not by lying or being fake, but by wording things better or seeing the positives in things or structuring a post a certain way. I think I struggle with empathy sometimes, and be in their shoes, I want to but it's like the shoes don't fit.

What do you think makes a supportive reply to a post?

Thank you 3
Aidan

3. @Butterfly23 's reply in '3 weeks clean from self-harm!!!'

Hey guys!! 

Just thought I’d come on here because I’ve finally gone more than 3 weeks without self harm, it’s a massive achievement for me and I’ve been struggling the past week but it shows how I don’t need that in my life anymore. Just wanted to emphasise to anyone who struggling with self harm that you’ll get through it eventually, each day you’ll grow stronger and stronger until you no longer need it 💗

sending love to you all x

4. @Rhys 's reply in 'My friend'

***I know this topic was aimed at your friend, id just like to give my two cents on the suicidal thoughts part***

Hey sham, things sounds really difficult, have you told the doctors how you're feeling?

I'm not saying go into hospital, but if you tell the doctors about your suicidal thoughts / low moods they may be able to help.

Over the past 6 or 7 years I've been suffering from a range of mental health issues, Suicidal thoughts being one of them. However, its started to get better, along with my voices and hallucinations dying down, and the personality becoming nice.

So what i'm trying to say is, things can get better. You may not make a 100% complete recovery, but you can make enough of a recovery to live a good and happy life. 

There will be times when you have down days, don't get me wrong there, but thats normal, for everyone regardless of mental health. 

The thing that has worked mostly for me, other then my medication, is planning for my future. Now I'm not saying everything is achievable straight away, I'm far far far from what I've planned, however having goals and something to aim for, that is reasonable, is a good start.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had a bad life thus far, and I honestly hope things look up in the future.

5. @Chubbydumpling 's reply in 'Surviving suicide attempts'
Hey there Sham

I survived a suicide attempt about a year ago now, thanks to the intervention of some friends. It's definitely possible that what you're experiencing is PTSD, which can occur immediately or delayed after any traumatic event. For me, reliving the event is triggered by smells and sounds in particular. 

If you can't see your GP or consultant, consider reaching out to a helpline. 

You can call The Mix here: 0808 808 4994 (7 days a week, 4pm - 11pm) 

OR

Access our crisis messenger text service which provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK. Just text THEMIX to 85258.

Flashbacks can be very scary and disorientating, and there's no shame in asking for help. I do a lot of things for self-care when I feel overwhelmed. 

Things like:
  • Focusing on your breathing (slowly, in and out, to bring your heart rate down)
  • Keeping a note of triggers (maybe writing them down in a diary to pinpoint the early signs of a flashback)
  • Grounding yourself (if you dissociate during a flashback, it can be helpful to describe the things around you out loud, describe a place you feel safe, or even keep an object with you that holds positive memories)

Stay safe, and don't hesitate to get in contact if you're feeling unable to cope 3

6. @Vilja 's thread 'Sexting and Safety
Hello everyone!

In today's world we are all exposed to social media and a lot of the times our relationships are dependent on the use of technology. I wanted to start this thread to talk about how we all navigate the world of dating, with or without sexting, what we consider safe practice, whether we find it helpful, what we are comfortable with and whether or not we like to indulge in it. Not everyone wants to indulge in it and that's completely okay too. 

I think it is important to discuss sexting because there aren't any rules and measures to protect us and it is important to learn for ourselves how we feel about it and how to protect ourselves. 

Feel free to share your thoughts on this and don't hesitate to ask questions! And of course, any tips on safe sexting are also welcome!

Cannot wait to hear from you all, 

Viloka  3

Remember to keep a look out for posts to nominate this month. You can nominate a post by flagging it, selecting Report, and then choosing 'Post of the Month nomination' as the reason. 

Aife & the team

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Post of the month - May 10 votes

Kathleen
20% 2 votes
Aidan
20% 2 votes
Butterfly23
30% 3 votes
Rhys
10% 1 vote
Chubbydumpling
10% 1 vote
Vilja
10% 1 vote

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Thank you for the nomination, I don't think my posts deserve them but it's always uplifting <3
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Thank you for the nom 💗
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Thanks for the nomination! 
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Congratulations @Butterfly23 you've won Post of the Month! Keep an eye out on your profile for a shiny new badge :) 

Well done to all the nominees too!  Your support really is amazing <3

- Aife
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Thank you @Aife

That’s made my day! 💗