Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Online Harms: Building online resilience in young people

ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
edited June 2023 in Politics & Debate
Online safety is compulsory in schools, under the computing curriculum.

But the Government is thinking about ways this could be made even better. We would be really interested to hear about the different ways you learn how to stay safe online, and what you would like to learn more about.

• Are there ways (outside of school) that you would like to learn about how to stay safe online?
  • What would you find helpful to learn about to improve your online safety? For example. How to report things that worry or upset you?
  • How to read terms and conditions?
  • How companies use your information? Something else?
  • How do you think your parents/carers could help you with this?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
-
Brene Brown

Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey, hope this is helpful thought wise. 
    • Are there ways (outside of school) that you would like to learn about how to stay safe online?
    I know around my area the youth centre is at the heart of everything from awareness of mental health right through to politics and the LGBT+ community. Take the learning away from the schools into clubs have been shown to be quite useful as not many people like school so won't want to listen when there in school. 

• What would you find helpful to learn about to improve your online safety? For example. How to report things that worry or upset you?
    Personally as I'm more older I know most of it, but young people in school its things like how to identify sexting, staying safe, how to report posts and what can happen after you've reported a post, where to turn to if you have an issue with it. 

• How to read terms and conditions?
    A lot of terms and conditions are pages long and we don't read them, I've spoken to people about this out of a class of 10 people no one said they read them as there too long, some are pages and pages of text. A small summary was what my group said they might find helpful or even 1 terms and condition across all sites.  (College group not school)

• How companies use your information? Something else?
    I think its important that people know what there going to use your information for, some sites use it to see how popular something is also depends on what it is. 

• How do you think your parents/carers could help you with this?
    keep checking securities, make sure you know and met every single contact on your phone and social media, check search history as well as having the talk with you regularly (a bit like the safety talk in a relationship). 

Speak soon
    Abi
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,780 Master Poster
    1) Internet safety quizzes, an online safety chat on here, ThinkUKnow having more information and being more interesting.

2) How to report bullying, how to report abuse, how to not be a bully and how to be safer online.

3) Make them shorter and less boring!!!

4) More information 

5)
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    Hey! Really cool to be heard on this.

Q) Ways outside of school to learn about e-safety?
    Adverts at the start of Youtube Videos came to mind as a good place to start. Short and snappy, each with say a 10sec long tip. 

Q) What would be helpful to learn about to improve your online safety?
    Lots of social media platforms have really cool features you can use to protect yourself, but they're not well publicised or know. It would be helpful to know things like how to view your daily activity report (how long you've spent on a certain site) and how to block certain hashtags from your feed. I only know these features exist from youth panel events I've attended, and don't think many people do. More information about how to use the apps brill tools to keep yourself safe would be great.

Q) How to read terms and conditions?
    To be frank, I find T&Cs unnecessarily long and so really quite boring (totally agree @Kasa2103) to the point where I don't think I've ever properly read a set all the way through. Like @Abigail has mentioned, a short summary (possibly even in the form of a video) would make them so much more accessible. Until they're made easier to read, I don't really see a point in teaching young people how to read them - I just don't think they'll have the time to and many simply won't care at all.

Q) How companies use your information?
    I think GDPR regulations helped with this massively. I'd want to know why the company want the information they're asking for and, if that seems reasonable, then I'm happy.

Q) How could parents help?
    This is a tough one. I think parents need to let their children have freedom to discover and express themselves online so personally don't agree with parents having young people's passwords and regularly checking their messages etc. Parents need to be equipped with the tools to reinforce the messages about the importance of e-safety, and should lead by example. 

Sorry for the essay @Italia - I got a little carried away. Speak soon!
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨