Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

VO5 Summer of Love Series: Friendship, honesty and loyalty

SophiASophiA Posts: 59 Boards Initiate
edited June 2019 in Sex & Relationships
Supported by 

So, as I’m sure many of you are aware, Love Island (LI) has graced our screens for another ‘long hot summer’. This year The Mix have partnered with Vo5 on an exciting project, where there will weekly disscussions on various topics that crop up on the show. It would be amazing for you guys to get involved let us know what you think. 

This week is all about friendship. 

In the villa, the contestants are together 24/7, sharing: beds, clothes, food etc so I imagine that forging friendships throughout their time is very important in making the experience enjoyable (because no one wants to be stuck in a villa with someone they hate, no matter how lovely the weather is). However lets not forget its a competition with a hefty cash prize as well as the chance of finding your one true love  ;). As we would expect, the boys and girls generally start to form close bonds with the same sex, and as with any friendship a sense of loyalty, trust and honesty form, which we have already seen from some of the girls. 
For those of you who dont watch LI what went down was: a boy from another couple told a girl (Lucie) that he liked her (without telling the girl he’s with now (Amy), about it first). Shortly after Lucie, told Amy what the guy had said to her. 

My question to you guys is: would you tell your friend something, someone they are interested in, had said about them even if you knew it would upset them, or do you think its better coming from the person themselves? 
Post edited by Aife on
Tagged:

Comments

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Oooh this is a tricky one, but also so important to talk about! 
    I would really encourage the person to say it themselves, however my general rule is to put myself into their shoes. So my answer depends on what the "thing" is - if I would want my friend/someone to tell me then I would tell them, and if I would only like it from the person themselves I would work on encouraging that :smile:
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hi @SophiA

I love this thread - it is such a tricky situation to be in but so many of us are going to find ourselves in it! If I knew it would upset my friend at the time but make things better in the long term I would have to say. (e.g. if a boy my friend was dating was saying nasty things about her and it upset her at the time but led her to cut ties with him and move on)

I always find things like this really hard though, mainly because I hate confrontation and being in the middle of things. I wonder, just adding on to the previous question - how would everyone deal with being caught in the middle of two friends/partners who have fallen out?
  • ValerialettoValerialetto Posts: 87 Budding Regular
    hey @SophiA,

really nice thread and I fully agree with @coc0mac that it depends on what "thing" is.
    Very tricky issue..but considering this particular situation  I guess the boy didn't really behave good..I guess the best option here would be Lucie to tell the boy to go and to tell it Amy first cause the fact that he told about his feelings to Lucie  put her not in really pleasant condition..It wasn't her role to tell Amy this thing...

@Han93 regarding your question..I guess I'd probably put efforts to bring them together , to create space for them to meet and have possibility to talk/discuss their issues. But I woudn't like to be a mid part between them. Also cause it's difficult to stay unbias so for sure it will be clear who position is closer to you and it can influence their relations as well as your relations with them :/
  • SophiASophiA Posts: 59 Boards Initiate
    Loved reading all of your responses, couldn’t agree more with @Han93, i hate confrontation but if its the best thing in the long run then i think i would have to say something, but it would definitely depend on what is being said. @Valerialetto i also agree with what you are saying, i think in that particular situation Lucie should have encouraged the boy to talk to Amy as i think it woyld have definitely been better coming from the guy.