Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Circumcision

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have decided to get circumcised. I was wondering if there were any others who have done so (besides those who did when they were born of course). Is it painful, how long are you out for the count, sex wise. Does it hinder sport, example swimming and running. I'm big into fitness and i don't want to have to stop working out.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, infact you should swim faster......................................(less drag!)
    what for?
    Foreskin problems!
    I would think it would be painful but i presume they would give you painkillers afterwards. discuss it with your doctor
    From what I've heard. it can be very uncomfortable for some men in the weeks afterwards (although some guys feel better than others) - especially when they get erections before it's healed properly.

So have a massive "tommy tank" session on the day you go in so you're less likely to want to ejaculate in the days afterwards.
    Thanking you.

Was talking to my doctor about it, wouldn't give me a direct answer. Didn't want to disuade me. Ah well sure, what has to be done must be done.

I'm going to miss my foreskin :(
    um, just so you make an informed decision, I've *heard* that being circumcised takes something like 25% of the sensitivity out of sex...don't know if thats true or not but I thought you might be interested to know!
    Thats not necessarily true. Ive been circumsized since infancy and i have all the sensitivity one could need. Of course I admit I have no basis for comparison since I never got to know what sex with a foreskin feels like, but i can attest to the fact that i have no probs getting "there" without one.
    why would it be true that it makes it 25% less sensitive? surely not having the extra skin in the way would make it more sensitive
    No, it is true that it's less sensitive after circumcision. The foreskin has loads of nerve endings in it or something. But apparently sex won't be any better or worse afterwards. It'll just be different.
    I dunno. I'm a girl so don't have personal experience on such things. :p
    Apparently, once you`re circumsised, because the head is exposed more, it becomes used to stimulation from clothes etc. Therefore it effectively does become less sensitive. Result.........(apparently, as Ive never conducted a survey).... you last longer.

This is probably a generalisation as all men are different. All I can tell you is that Ive been done since I was a nipper and Ive been told by more than one partner that I last a long time. (*blows own trumpet very loudly*) They may just have had a raw deal previously though!

Lots of masturbation also supposedly helps with the staying power thing too, as your fist is tighter than a vagina. (I know which I prefer though!)
    Well I suppose because during sex the foreskin like rubs against the head so theres more stimulation, where as if you're circumcised then obviously thats not happening. But yeah I don't really know either being female and having no personal experience of it!
    Shock horror - I actually do know what I'm talking about

Okay - I'm a guy and I'm circumcised. So I do have first hand experience of the situation.

However, as a caveat, I should say I was circumcised at the age of 10 and so couldn't tell you what sex is like with a foreskin. Kids at my school weren’t that forward.

Bad Points:
    After the operation it hurts like hell. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're lying.
    Not many guys in this country are circumcised so girls (and other guys) can find it strange.

Good points:
    It’s very clean. No smegma. No dodgy itching. Very easy to wash.
    Some evidence even suggests a woman’s chance of developing cervical cancer can be reduced if her partner is circumcised.

The sensitivity issue:
    Yes you do lose sensitivity. I’m not sure about losing 25% sensitivity. (How on earth would you measure that? Sounds like it’s come from the ‘34.4% of all statistics are made up’ school of thought)

Anyway . . . because the end of your penis is exposed permanently it soon gets dulled. Initially it’s really, really uncomfortable because it’s hyper-sensitive. As the sensitivity goes so does the discomfort.

But a decline in sensitivity is not necessarily a bad thing. It’s not as if you suddenly can’t enjoy sex - it can still be great. In fact it can even be improved because taking the edge off the sensitivity means you definitely will last longer.

The only sex problem I have ever encountered is occasionally lasting too long! (Particularly if I’m wearing a condom or receiving oral sex)

Conclusion:
    Given the choice I would definitely be circumcised. And I’d have my kids done too. (Boys only obviously)

But then you could say I don’t know any different?
    Cool, thats just the information i was looking for. As for whether i will get it done or not. I pretty much have to. My foreskin doesn't stretch around my head. Thanks a mil.
    Ive just read all the post and it still baffles me why you want to br circumcised in the first place.50 years age there were no modern showers,just a tin bath to have a all over wash. nower days,theres no excuse for not cleansing your private parts in a bath or shower.the excusses for a circumcision is if you have problems retracting the foreskin back over the head of the penis,then of coures something would have to be done about it.
    Originally posted by copius
    Foreskin problems!

Erm, that's why he's being circumcised.