Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should condoms be security tagged?

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
we all know when it comes to sex a condom is a great way to protect yourself from pregnancy and STI’s.

I myself haven’t had sex yet but I do have sex toys that I use. I mainly do it as I have found it really helps to relax tense muscles and relive some stress. But while out Alway feel a bit conscious and  awkward when it comes to buying anything sex related in my case it was lube. 

I was Coming home from work and stopped at a popular store (I won’t name) I went originally to buy something for my dinner but decided to pick some lube up while there. Then I saw something that shocked me everything sex related was security tagged, pregnancy tests, lube and condoms!

I did buy what I wanted after telling myself “at the age of 24, there shouldn’t be anything awkward about it. At my local store (again I won’t name.) I could go self service as there are no age restrictions and this saves cashiers from knowing my business! But due to the security tag I had to go to a till. The woman who served me didn’t seem to mind but did glance a few times at me while taking the security tag off.

Now, I know you can get condoms for free up until the age 18. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t important after that age, A lot of young adults are still encouraged to use them as an extra form of protection. I feel putting security tags on these types of items can really put people off, especially younger people who may not feel confident enough to go to a sexual health clinic or purchase them at the till. This could possibly lead to people having unprotected sex at a young age. 

I know they might be worried about shop lifters but anything can be stolen we don’t tag everything else unless it’s age restrict which condoms are not.

So I’d like to see what you guys think. Please vote and feel free to comment why if you like,

Should condoms be security tagged? 14 votes

yes condoms and items related SHOULD be security tagged
0% 0 votes
No condoms and items related SHOULD NOT be tagged
100% 14 votes

Comments

• JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    I understand why they’ve done it but it’s very offputting. I needed a pregnancy test once and went Tesco and put it through self service and it came up needing my age to my verified I felt so awkward lol and wanted the ground to swallow me up 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Totally agree with both of you. Seems unhelpful to add barriers to buying anything like this. It can only be a good thing if someone is buying condoms or pregnancy tests, so it should be as easy as possible to get hold of them IMO.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • ValerialettoValerialetto Posts: 87 Budding Regular
    hey @One-in-a-million,
    great topic to discuss and I absolutelly agree with you.
    Especially when it comes to young teenagers they have unprotected sex than go to store suffering from all these glances from shop assistants. 
    For sure this tagging issue won't reduce number of people who have sex but will create a lot of inconveniecense for people(  and unfortunately it's also the issue of tactfulness of people who work in stores ..

• Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular

Hi @One-in-a-million

That is so interesting - I am shocked to learn that they are putting security tags on these things too. I completely agree that they should not be tagged - it can be an embarrassing experience as it is going to buy a pregnancy test or condoms without having to go to a till to have the tag removed. I find it a bit worrying and hope that it is not putting young people off purchasing these things.

• davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    I just want to mention that you can buy condoms and lube all online from durex website (I'm 17 and I don't ask for free condoms, I raver go and buy them myself) and get them descreatly delivered to you, but yes I do agree that they don't need to be security tagged 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Totally agree with @Aidan

Tagging condoms is only going to lead to younger people practicing unsafe sex. They should be widely available and accessible without restriction. 
  • alice123alice123 Posts: 88 Budding Regular
    I'm so glad that you're bringing light to this @One-in-a-million

Personally, I have never been in this situation (luckily) as the shop near me doesnt security tag these products but I completely agree that anything which makes sex safer should be widely and easily accessible without embarrassment. 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    This is a really great thread!
    I personally have never seen them tagged before, so this is very shocking. I think we should be promoting safe sex and tagging them is in fact a deterrence from that in my eyes. People can feel uncomfortable in those aisles anyway, let alone having to confront the restrictions. Safe sex should be accessible and focused on the most. 
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Wow guys I honestly wasn’t expecting such a big reaction from this. I’m glad to see everyone is in agreement here that tagging these items is not helpful at all.

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    For me, buying condoms etc at the age of 16 is awkward enough without having to have the hassle of getting a security tag removed. It's not helpful. I'm lucky in that I'm quite comfortable myself so I try not to get too embarrassed, but perhaps people who aren't as comfortable would just not buy them and therefore more people would have unprotected sex. 

I didn't know that you can only get them free up until 18 - in Scotland, anyway, you can get them free until you're at least 25 (it may be older, excuse my laziness in not looking this up) with something called the C card, or from sexual health clinics. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”