Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

No work getting me down

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
I’ve always worked in a nursery since being 16, most of it was volenteering (5 years) mostly due to college but I didnt require a placement for the first 2 years of college but I wanted to make sure childcare is what I wanted. But even suring the summer breaks ive found a summer job somewhere. 

But in July I unfortunately had to leave my job due to my role as a 1-2-1 worker being no longer needed. I’ve applied for a lot of nurseries but had no luck some of which I think is due to needing a DBS update which can take time to come. But some of it I feel is due to (I hope im wrong) my epilepsy. I mention that word and I can see a change in them, I reasure them that I do not have fits, that I am fully aware of what’s happening at the time and pose no danger to anyone. But still you can see something change in them. The same goes for when I mention my dyslexia, I tell them that it doesn’t effect my ability to do the job and that if I do need a bit extra time to finish paperwork, that I would do this in my own time before or after work.
(I have to declare these when asked if I have any disabilities or learning difficulties)

anyway enough of that. The fact I have been unemployed for 2 months is really getting me down, I can see my bank account getting lower and been stuck at home is starting to annoy me. I don’t like the fact that there will be a gap on my CV (I know it’s only small but from November 2011- July 2018 I’ve been doing something.)

I just feel rubbish not earning, being able to pay my way and having money to go out.

i’ve signed on an agency and hope that they will ring me ASAP but for the time being I’m kinda stuck.

anyway thats my moan over for now 

Comments

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @One-in-a-million,

I'm sorry to hear you have been out of work and it's getting you down. I think work gives us a sense of purpose and without what it can be really difficult, with money being a factor too. Have you heard anything from the agency yet? 

It wouldn't be right for you to be judged on disabilities and I sincerely hope you are not being judged in that way... Please don't let it discourage you, if they were judging you then it sounds like they'd be crap to work for anyway tbh. You don't want that kinda environment!!

Also try not to worry too much about having a gap on your CV, as long as you're honest that you were looking (if they ask you), it's not really regarded a problem (coming from someone that used to look through heaps of CVs!!) :smile: Hope that helps a little. Sending hugs <3

- Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi guys thanks for replying, I’m still waiting for Work off the agency. I’ve told them I’m eager to start as soon as I can. Just started to get stressed over not knowing how long I’ll have to wait for Work. 

Im just sick of the stress this is giving me but concider myself lucky for the family I have got. I have never thought about asking the gp about a fit to work note and might look into this. So far I’ve had to give one of the agencies concent for the to tell the schools that I have very mild epilepsy. I have made it very clear to them that this will not effect my ability to work and they said they would make sure that the school is told thst it doesn’t effect me.

makes it worse that I had 2 episodes last week :( another disappointment as I was 6 months clear.
    Thank you Lucy, hearing that the gap won’t make a big problem is really helpful 
    Thank you both so much 

emma
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey @One-in-a-million though I have no easy answers for your job hunting quest, in-between job hunting, work on your hobbies and look for options if available to make your hobby a career. Nothing would be better than that even if you earn a bit lesser in doing so.
    Also, try to learn some new skills like cooking, repairing or something like that. Cooking and repairing/restoring will help you a lot in the future. Cherish the good things in your life.

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Being out of work is soul destroying. My advice is get anything you can until you get something that you want. Best of luck.
    Weekender Offender 
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi guy thanks for your support. I’m still looking but feeling a little better as a woman who came into the nursery I worked in to see how I was doing and if I needed and support or help with what I was doing. Has contacted me to ask if she could put my details forward to a nursery who is in need of a 1-2-1 and wanted to recommend me.

im just waiting to seenif they call me :)
  • L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    Why do you think it’s because of your eliepesy. I have to disclose my diabeties type 1 and  yes I know their different but aren’t they both classed as unseen dissabilties in Equality act? Meaning employers should not discriminate against them. I also have a medical id alert for my type 1  diabeties.

Have you got a similar thing to say your elliepsy? Because that way at least people are aware of you suddenly had a seizure and know what to do in a emergency. 

• RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey everyone I'm gonna close this thread since it's several months old at this point. @L100 I've seen you responding to a few older threads recently so just a reminder to check how old a thread is before replying, it's an easy mistake to make. Thanks for being so supportive and active on the boards!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
This discussion has been closed.