Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Awkard situation and a bit worried

L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
edited May 2019 in Work & Study
So recently I got a job offer during my work experience.

However  yesterday let me explain this incident for it to make sense I had literally just come from a local supermarkets 11 year olds. Started being annoying and making rude things and  calling me names (thinking I had a certain disability which I didn’t) someone must of told security as security came out and told me to go off and the others to go opposite way. However by the time he went I looked behind and by the time on a local cycle path I saw them following me so I stopped let them pass and continued. However they then said i was following them when I wasn’t. So I turned up a hill but they managed to overtake me and turned out they lived up their so they told them I had been following me and trying to knock them off which I hadn’t done.

Unfortunately there parents believed them and grapped hold of me and so did the kids and my bike I panic and start being physical when anyone grabs anything and someone called the police. Then awkwardly my supervisor got involved and she saw me. She just said to wait for police (At the time I was scared and I wanted to get away from that area as when people grap and punch me it feels like I’m getting assaulted whether or not this was I dunno?) The Parents eventually lessened their grip and I used this to get away. I stupidly ran away from police in front of my supervisor from work experience. I went down to the local river to try to calm down as the river and ducks are want calm me down. Unfortuantly one of the parents borrowed the 11 yrs bike and followed me. I tried to explain the truth but he didn’t believe me saying his children would never do that. (My supervisor wasn’t involved at this point) he tried to convince me to go back to main road so police will talk to us. I asked my man what to do she said to go back home I guessed I would probs end up seeing the police.

After the parent went I explained to them what happend. They didn’t say anything afterwards but they listened.

Thing is I’m afraid my supervisor is going to report this to the manager at my work experience which I don’t have for a few days and it’ll risk my job offer. I dunno if I’m getting paranoid or if it does is more likely theyll ask for full story, has anyone had anything similar happen?

And did the police decide not to say anything after I mentioned my side  since they don’t know who’s right or need to check with security to find out?

[edited by moderator to add line breaks]
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @L100, and well done for posting about this. By the sounds of it, you were taken advantage of by some younger people, who also seem to have taken advantage of their parents' trust! Not fair at all, and I can understand why you felt a bit shaken and just wanted to get out of there (regardless of how that might look to others). Sounds like a scary experience all things considered?

Thing is I’m afraid my supervisor is going to report this to the manager at my work experience which I don’t have for a few days and it’ll risk my job offer. I dunno if I’m getting paranoid or if it does is more likely theyll ask for full story, has anyone had anything similar happen?

And did the police decide not to say anything after I mentioned my side  since they don’t know who’s right or need to check with security to find out?

It might be tricky to find someone clued up on the law and police procedures here, so do check with an expert if you want to be sure. My understanding is that unless you've been given any formal caution or warning by the police, nothing goes on your record or anything like that. So in theory, there's no reason for this to impact your professional life, and you're not obligated to tell them anything you don't want to because it really doesn't concern them unless it's a legal issue.

If your supervisor does tell your manager (though I think this would be very unfair and unnecessary), there shouldn't be any reason for it to impact your position. Of course, in theory they could not give you a job offer and say it's for other reasons, but we're getting deep into speculation there.

If you're really unsure, it might be an option to tell your manager about it or clear the air with your supervisor when you next see them. Would it give you peace of mind to talk to your supervisor and maybe ask about what they saw? Might be a good chance for you to give your side to the story.

She just said to wait for police (At the time I was scared and I wanted to get away from that area as when people grap and punch me it feels like I’m getting assaulted whether or not this was I dunno?)

Again, legalities are tricky things so it pays to ask an expert if you're unsure. :) But I'd imagine grabbing someone's arm and trying to stop them leaving is assault, unless it's by a policeman during an arrest or a security guard or something like that.

Citizen's Advice should be able to help with this kind of thing, if you haven't spoken to them already. :)

How are you feeling personally after what happened @L100?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    Mike said:
    Hey @L100, and well done for posting about this. By the sounds of it, you were taken advantage of by some younger people, who also seem to have taken advantage of their parents' trust! Not fair at all, and I can understand why you felt a bit shaken and just wanted to get out of there (regardless of how that might look to others). Sounds like a scary experience all things considered?

It might be tricky to find someone clued up on the law and police procedures here, so do check with an expert if you want to be sure. My understanding is that unless you've been given any formal caution or warning by the police, nothing goes on your record or anything like that. So in theory, there's no reason for this to impact your professional life, and you're not obligated to tell them anything you don't want to because it really doesn't concern them unless it's a legal issue.

If your supervisor does tell your manager (though I think this would be very unfair and unnecessary), there shouldn't be any reason for it to impact your position. Of course, in theory they could not give you a job offer and say it's for other reasons, but we're getting deep into speculation there.

If you're really unsure, it might be an option to tell your manager about it or clear the air with your supervisor when you next see them. Would it give you peace of mind to talk to your supervisor and maybe ask about what they saw? Might be a good chance for you to give your side to the story.

She just said to wait for police (At the time I was scared and I wanted to get away from that area as when people grap and punch me it feels like I’m getting assaulted whether or not this was I dunno?)

Again, legalities are tricky things so it pays to ask an expert if you're unsure. :) But I'd imagine grabbing someone's arm and trying to stop them leaving is assault, unless it's by a policeman during an arrest or a security guard or something like that.

Citizen's Advice should be able to help with this kind of thing, if you haven't spoken to them already. :)

How are you feeling personally after what happened @L100?
    I guess, turns out when the children damaged my bike they ended up fully bending my disc brake rotor on my luckily it’s still rideable just takes a bit slower with gears and bike shop bend it back as much as they could till I can get a new one. The awkard thing about sports centre it’s in partners with local council and my friends (I’ve only told my close friends) say unless it’s a citizens arrest (and even if that’s done wrong it’s illegal as it’s unlawful and false arrest) which is the only time citenzens can be physical.  (Unless it’s police or security using reasonable force) 

also ive heard of Citenzens advice but I don’t really know what it is.

well kind of awkard because I’m going to be a lot of nervous around children and teenagers due to my volunteering and sports centre work especially since it’s half term. Not helpful when I’m supposed to be helping out with an event later today but you just have to remain positive and professional. 

As for cycling I’ve moved my bike camera to a chest mount as it kept falling of handlebars before and weirdly I haven’t seen them again. But perhaps this is due to half term? 
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    L100 said:

Citizens Advice exists to give free and confidential information to people to help them with a huge variety of things. They are a great charity to turn to if you need advice on the law, housing, benefits, work, debts, and a variety of other things.

Like Mike said, they would be good to contact if you were looking for advice regarding the legalities of what happened and what you can do.

I can understand feeling nervous about children/teenagers after what you experienced. I can see how what you went through would have led to this. Do you think there is anything you could do to alleviate this fear?

Sorry to hear about your bike, I hope you manage to get it fixed.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Jordan said:
    L100 said:

Citizens Advice exists to give free and confidential information to people to help them with a huge variety of things. They are a great charity to turn to if you need advice on the law, housing, benefits, work, debts, and a variety of other things.

Like Mike said, they would be good to contact if you were looking for advice regarding the legalities of what happened and what you can do.

I can understand feeling nervous about children/teenagers after what you experienced. I can see how what you went through would have led to this. Do you think there is anything you could do to alleviate this fear?

Sorry to hear about your bike, I hope you manage to get it fixed.
    Thanks. Well I was just proffesional and positive. Although I was nervous with the event yesterday so I sounded a bit less confident however I knew if anything would happen the colleagues would probably help out and the kids were with their parents all the time as for today similar thing. It’s more afterwards but if I look at a positive way I’m out later with friends and won’t be back till late like 10/11pm so hopefully their not around or if they are I’ll get it on my camera 
    edited May 2019
    Update 
    @Mike @Jordan

well now it’s become awkard. 
    (I also do a course so I got asked about it by one of my teachers however I didn’t really answer).
    I don’t get why didn’t they just ask me yesterday when I was at my work experience.  Because I thought it would be more sensible to ask the person. 

Its not just that. I’m kind of worried about someone could do the same thing to my volunteering place or bad things could get out (since one of the staff their used to work as a police officer) or if one of the visitors recognises me and then complains.
    . I never talk to that guy that used to be a pc  just the odd hi thanks, due to previous incidents(sometimes I think he’s heard things because i get odd looks sometimes)

Luckily that hasn’t  happend yet.  But sometimes even though I love animals I feel like I’m loosing interest. I don’t know if I am or if it’s just because of these situations 

the thing is is if I loose both these places I risk not having a future as these are basically building up my experience for the future 
    😞

edited May 2019
    Aidan said:
    Hey L100,

I just wanted to add something I'm not sure anyone has said yet.

If you were held and punched, that is assault. They also caused criminal damage to your property (bike). If you wanted to, you could go to the police for these things. The non-emergency number is 101.

Sorry about how you're feeling with your work experience, I hope this doesn't negatively affect your work situation.

A camera is a very good idea to collect evidence and protect yourself and others!- it's legal to film in public places and in private places with the owner's permission.

Take care! :)
    Aidan 
    Yeah I know that’s why I changed my camera angle recently. Annoyingly that day my camera had gone dead as the charger didn’t fully charge that day.  

I get that but I also did it back so couldn’t I easily get done for assault if I was to tell police  although this was more self  defense fight or flight response and also I don’t have much proof and outnumbered again. I also knew they were lying both because I know what happened and also when i tried explaining they said he wouldn’t do anything like that because of a disability and the teen proved it by showing  scars to him and how else would he gotten this. 1 that isn’t true and if you got a cut on the day it would be fresh not scars. So I replied I dunno mabye something happened at his school?  and the parents replied saying schools are closed (< schools were not closed that day I know because we had schools come in at sports centre) 

i hope not but I don’t know since awkardly my local sports centre is partnered with the local council  and councils are quite strict then  but I also got this work experience becuse a incident before I moved towns the person I ended up speaking to works their . so I dunno?  Also now thinking perhaps I didn’t get asked in Thursday as my main supervisor (the one that saw)  was ill  and the manager just forgot.  But still weird who told my course then?