You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

What are you thoughts on...? [content warning]

AidanAidan PotatoPosts: 1,296 Fanatical Poster
edited May 21 in Politics & Debate
What are your thoughts on...

euthanasia?
My opinion is that euthanasia should be legal (it currently comes with a maximum sentence of life imprisonment), and more than that, medical professionals should be allowed to practise euthanasia. I think it's important to allow someone a right to end their life painlessly and with dignity, with as little anxiety as possible, particularly for:
  • People with long-term disabilities
  • People with long-term mental illness
  • Those in severe pain
  • The elderly

... when they feel they still want to end their life, after already receiving the medical treatment that would be appropriate for their circumstances. And, also unconditionally for:
  • People with terminal illness
What are your thoughts and would you support a change in the law to allow euthanasia under certain circumstances?

This goes without saying for this kind community, but I'll say it anyway :)

-please be respectful of the fact that this is a sensitive topic, and conceal parts you feel may require a content warning with the spoiler format.

Thank you everyone, have a nice week!

Kathleen07Anch0r33

Comments

• ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 6,777 The Mix Elder
    I agree with that. I think euthanisia should be legal in this country. In certain physical health conditions. but i do know in some countries. They have allowed euthanasia for mental health conditions which i dont agree with
    “If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care” Marvin J. Ashton
    Kathleen07davcr0ckAidan
  • AidanAidan Potato Posts: 1,296 Fanatical Poster
    edited May 21
    You're right @Shaunie , I think Belgium and the Netherlands do.

It seems like when it happens in the Netherlands it's because no treatment for the mental illness has worked.

"At the End of Life Clinic in The Hague more than half of those who come seeking euthanasia on psychiatric grounds are turned away because they have not tried all available treatments."

From a BBC article about a Dutch woman who sought euthanasia after exhausting every treatment here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-45117163

I think it's encouraged to seek all help that is available and it really is a last resort.

Anch0r33
  • ClaraOswaldClaraOswald TardisPosts: 131 The Mix convert
    I think it should be Legal however you would need to apply and only in medical circumstances, people should be allowed the freedom to end their life on their own. I think it would also make someone happier, they are in controll, not the medication ❤️
    My feelings are bigger on the inside. People get me wrong.
     "Sometimes the only choices you have are wrong ones but you still have to choose"-Peter Capaldi, 12th Doctor  ❤️

Aidan
  • LaineLaine Llama Mama Posts: 1,357 Fanatical Poster
    There's a campaign called "Dignity in dying" if you wish to follow it and maybe get involved,  
    At the moment people are taking their elderly loved ones to Switzerland which is a lovely option but I do agree we need more. 

I don't agree with the mental health terms, maybe if they've tried absolutely everything,  have serious debilitating conditions and are thoroughly assessed, it might be considerable.

I definitely think when the meds aren't working,  when they're tired,  and in pain, those near the end should have the right to,  I know it's not the greatest comparison but we do it for dogs and cats?  X

🌈Positive thoughts🌈 

"Maybe it's not my weekend,  but it's gonna be my year" ~ All Time Low

"No one else is dealing with your demons, meaning maybe defeating them could be the beginning of your meaning friend" ~ TOP

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille
    AidanKathleen07Anch0r33
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Carer/Craft Lover Posts: 2,365 Mega Poster
    I think I’m terms is someone’s mental health condition or physical disability means that they have no quality of life then it certainly is a consideration to take .

For me giving them that option if they have a long term condition such as cancer which in end of life can be horrible 

I saw both my nana during end of life of cancer and it’s horrible for one of my nana they spent weeks unconscious, not communicating and it shouldn’t have to be like that , that shouldn’t be the memories she had and she was in pain before it happen , she had Pancreatic cancer and it spread everywhere she was in constant pain and as a 10 year old that was always so difficult to see.

For my other nana we were there the day the hospital withdrew all treatment and let nature take its call as if so to speak. On her final day she would stop breathing for a few seconds and then gasp and start again and she shouldn’t of been allowed to get to that state her last memories should be of us happy not saying “ it’s ok Nanna / mum/grandma you can go now , you don’t need to carry on fighting 

For both of them they were on morphine drivers and IV paracetamol to try and manage there pain though Weill never know if that helped becuase they were non verbal and almost like asleep in there final days . So even when it’s time to let them slip away there still pumped full on drugs and it shouldn’t happen ! 
    (^^ Talks about what both my Nanas were at end of life ) 
    “ I believe that you have the power to achieve whatever you put your mind too, You are living a life’s most people won’t  ever understand but that’s what will Be the root of all your determination and success. You have a soul full of love and kindness and I just know that despite all the hardship, a life’s of happiness awaits you and I’m very proud of you, just keep holding on” 
    AidanAnch0r33
    edited May 22
    Hey everyone,

Thank you all for you insights and opinions, and @Millie2787 I'm so sorry to hear about that

My Auntie died of cancer too, for the last few months of her life she was weak and bed bound, in constant agony, and it put her husband through so much anguish that he hasn't recovered years later and still talks and acts like she's still alive, writing her name in cards and 'going to see her' at the cemetery. The medication she was given helped the pain a little, but it was senseless prolonging her life just for her to suffer. Her slow painful death haunts him, and it was awful to see someone you love in such a state, she shouldn't have had to have gone through that.

I've started a petition on parliament's petition website, I don't know if it'll go far but it's the right thing to do. I'm just gathering initial support to get it published, and I've PM'd The Mix asking if I can share a link to it here once it's published.

Take care everyone
    Millie2787Laine
    edited May 23
    Hey everyone,

I've got permission to post a link to my petition on the boards, once it's published. It's currently unpublished, pending a review to ensure it meets petition standards, which should take about a week.

When it's published, the goal is to reach 10,000 signatures, in which case the government is obligated to respond.

Have a great weekend!
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,026 I eat threads for breakfast
    The argument isn't about self determination and the right to end your own life, (suicide is not illegal), it's about the right for someone else to kill you (if you wish them to). At this very moment, killing another human being deliberately is murder, it isn't suicide. "Assisted Suicide" is just a nice way of saying "Killing Someone". 

There are very good arguments for why this should be legal however there remain some concerns.

I have no doubt that if such a law was accepted, pressure would be put on those not wishing to end their own lives to do so. The "you're being selfish" argument.

It might be quite easy to find a doctor willing to kill people, but I hope it isn't quite as easy as it sounds. Whilst there will be doctors who don't believe in God, it will still be difficult to shake that niggling feeling that once you've "euthanised" the patient you'll be damning your soul to an eternity in hell.
    MikeAidanJellyelephant
    I have no doubt that if such a law was accepted, pressure would be put on those not wishing to end their own lives to do so. The "you're being selfish" argument.

I accept this could be a possibility as well, people are currently being pressured into living through inescapable suffering because 'suicide is selfish' so it's reasonable to expect an opposite reaction if the status quo were flipped. I don't see it a reason to not legalise euthanasia, but it's definitely a reason that euthanasia needs to be carefully managed and considered.

The argument isn't about self determination and the right to end your own life

Not necessarily, depending of course on the method of suicide it's unlikely to be as likely to end a life, be painless, or be as 'neat' as forms of euthanasia. Going through a painful or botched death is a real fear.

Thank you for your insight, it's a topic with overwhelming support so the perspective of the ways it could have negatives are refreshing.

• AzzimanAzziman The Mix convert Posts: 545 Extreme Poster
    There's a serious question we have to address about the role of inheritance in this. In several cases, families have encouraged terminally ill relatives to end their life (legally or illegally) prematurely so that they can inherit their wealth. In some of these cases, those family members will start spending with the inheritance in mind. Some people are very opposed to the morality of a terminally ill patient deciding to end their life prematurely due to financial reasons and pressures. I haven't seen any solution to this anywhere, though, and it's something that we really need to consider.
    <3
    MikeAidanSkive
    edited May 28
    Hey everyone,

I've gotten a reply (quite quickly) from my MP on the matter.

They fully support assisted dying for the terminally ill and permanently debilitated given appropriate safeguards, and in fact voted in favour of the bill for assisted dying in September 2015.

Whilst they state that petitions are not an effective way to change legislation, they would vote again for a bill legalising assisted dying and euthanasia.

My petition is still under review.

Thanks again @Azziman and @Skive for your input as it's very important to remember not every aspect is necessarily positive, whilst the notion might be positive overall, and proper safeguards would be required.