Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

TW applying for job and always never hear back from the employer.

davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
*** POSSIBLE TRIGGER AND THIS POST IS REALLY LONG ***

This is something I want to start off an thread about and get an idea of people that get an similar issue as i do and partly and rant about how much i struggle to get anyway in life. '

as you all know im 17 and last year i applied for apprenticeships and colleges in my area, My current place of study UTC (not saying full name else leak of location) i was already going to be guaranteed an place their as they like me so much and im an hard working student.

last year when applying for theirs places, i applied for 37 apprenticeships or colleges and only 10 of them responded back to me and then an only 2 of that 10 offered some form of interview (it being my current college and crown packaging) went for both the interview but didn't get the crown packaging one although they did say if they was hiring for two people i would of been me.

And this year an apprenticeship in my future career path came up and i applied for that and the assessment day is scheduled for tomorrow but i've heard nothing from them for like two months, 

obviously i'm really fed up of this s*** and i wish employers have the politeness to send an email back saying you didn't get the role or the interview.

another thing i really hate and i know this is gonna be an problem for the whole of my life but discrimination for my mental health issues and physically disabilities. 

i didn't chose to be have this heart condition or have autism or depression or anxiety, i have been told in emails from employers saying that we not gonna hire you because of your mental or physical health issues, 

Companies cant say their an inclusive employer if their not gonna give people like me an chance,

does anyone else have this issue and how do you have the motivation to carry on applying for job because i've lost all motivation

**sorry it so long, i just needed to get this off my chest**

Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 

Comments

• mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi, 

It can be very frustrating when you don't get the place especially when it's because of something out of your control. Sorry to hear the situation you are in. 

What helps me when employers turn me down due to my mental health (after the initial annoyance and mini rant in my head) is just thinking "I'm glad they turned me down so I didn't work for and support a company who discriminate". Moving forward to stay motivated is often difficult. Setting goals of where you would like to be in the future or what you would like to achieve could help staying motivated. 

Don't apologise, we all need a rant sometimes. 
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Heya @davcr0ck

It sounds like you are frustrated by the lack of response from employers. I can sympathise with this, it's common not to hear a thing back from employers if you aren't successful. 

I don't know your specific situation regarding what prospective employers said to you regarding mental/physical health or the questions they asked to figure out you had these disabilities.

You might find it helpful to read over this, it goes over the questions an employer can ask you at work, and the steps they have to take after asking them. Employers can ask very specific things if they think of a condition you may have might affect the job.

The link covers the questions they can ask and what you can do if a potential employer may be discriminating against you.

I've also included some other information from MIND about telling your employer about mental health.

Hope this is helpful

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    Hey @davcr0ck

Can really empathise with how frustrating job hunting is. Employers that do not contact you to say that you have not got the job/on to the next stage when you have spent time and effort are downright rude.

The link that @Jordan posted looks like it might be really useful.

I think a good way to stay motivated is to just assume that you aren't going to get the jobs so you don't get your hopes up too much. This has really helped me in my job search.

Also, have you got LinkedIn? Sometimes people post about their personal struggles and hurdles they have faced whilst searching for jobs there. Often people who seem really professional and like they have it all together have faced discrimination too, so maybe it'd be motivating to look at some of these posts? You can also search for and apply for jobs on there too
  • davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    I wont lie I'm not an fan of LinkedIn, hate the website layout and the area of where I'm applying, you have to make your own separate account to apply for their jobs, so I don't really see an point in having one 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    it is frustrating but you unfortuantly you just have to be patient. Also bear in mind it’s also school half term. Perhaps that’s the main reason you haven’t heard anything?