Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stressed. Trying to stay well. Peer support training.

Comments

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    I'm sorry you're feeling stressed and anxious. You're almost halfway through today, you can do this <3 

How's it going today? We're here if you want to chat :) 
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,454 Skive's The Limit
    Thank you Aife!  Just was having to read out loud and started stuttering and embarrassing and i felt like people was laughing and we have to role play communcation assessment today. Doesnt say that on timetable ffs. 

Will not go home tho lol as tempting as can be 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey @Shaunie

I'm sorry they didn't prepare you for the role play assessment today. I know it's hard not being prepared for these things. Try and remember how many skills you already have. You're amazing at supporting others and always know the right things to say. You can definitely do this! 

With the reading out loud, try not to worry too much about what other people think. These things are challenging and you're doing the best you can. I hope the rest of the day goes okay. Keep us updated with how it goes <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
    edited April 2019
    Thank you Aife <3
    Rationalise it - dont think they was laughing. And just trying hard to think. 

is just really overwhelming and a lot to take on. Because there is "recovery lanaguage" - it doesnt sound it but its completely different. we cant say "im sorry to hear that....." we should say "i can hear that you are saying....". We cant say diagnoses. Like cant say psychosis - have to say "hearing things" and all sort of things like not saying "but" cause like for example soemone says they went to the shop but was really anxious. - you DO NOT say - "i can hear you felt anxious BUT it is good you went out" you cant say stuff like that the " but" because its dismissive of how they actually felt. Say "i can hear you felt anxious, can i just honour the fact you still made it out". And hard to remember  and small things like that. And COMPLETLY different to how health professionals speak. 

And really hurting my head and very so much to take on. 

After my days are finished. ---Can i like write a whole massive paragraphs of everything ive learnt that day & reasons for it & post it here ?

- is just  not anyone had to read or cares. Maybe someone will he interested. But i need someoen to share with as it helps me to make more sense if feel im sharing with someone not myself if makes sense . Its really hard
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey @shaunie

great job on powering through this day and great that you didn't leave,

An good song that would like to say that your doing is your still standing  strong (I'm still standing by Elton John) 

Stay strong and here's an section of the lyrics to I'm still standing 

davcr0ck

Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
    Wont be standing at end of next month lol. Gunna die
    I don’t know if i can do this. It is sooo much i actually feel like dying now
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @Shaunie what's going on, are you safe? Do you want to talk?

We're here for you x
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Im safe.just overdramatic. & stressed thankyou
    edited April 2019
    Tbh i dont get some of recovery langaue   Why cant we say "im sorry to hear that" i like when people say that to. Shows empathy. But they said its oh. "Oh no poor you". But fml lol confused. And i know cant say diagnosis because its like we are saying its their whole idenity but not really. Like do i say oh yeah she diabete and nothing else..... no. 

Dont really under stand completely lanague side of it. I understand some of it and possible reason. But yeah i don’t know tbh

too stress think going to call in sick to work on weekends

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey bud,

I agree - some of that recovery language is weird :/ I've heard about the "but" thing before and I think it makes sense, but I really don't see why you can't say "I'm sorry to hear that" - what's wrong with sympathy? Lol. I have to say, I also don't understand why you can't say the diagnosis. If anything, it feels to me like that's discouraging talk of the mental illness? Oops, I'm rambling here :p Basically, yeah, agreed.

I totally see how you're stressed. I would be too. I think it may be good to call in sick to work, if you want to - make sure you look after yourself <3
    edited April 2019
    Nevermind i understand now - its cause saying something like oh she has BPD /i have bpd makes it sound like it affects everyone the same & saying describing it and what theyre expereince instead is more person based. 

Def calling in sick. If i need to write assissments for every lesson have by beginning of JUNE

and thank you Kathleen (wrote ths before saw comment so quickly adding that on lol)
    Post edited by Siena on
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    If you need to call in sick for a bit of a break, then do! I've done that a few times when I've felt overwhelmed, am a firm believer of taking mental health/destress days when needed. Have you got deadlines for each piece of work or is it one big deadline for it all? I wonder if can break the assignments down so they don't seem so massive? 
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    edited May 2019
    Theyre all due in one deadline in June. Is my day off today - thought id enjoy it. But have homework to do by tomorrow - which dont even understand & i guess i better start on the assissgments. 

They said the interview process is hard has ever ever been & that everyone was very carefully picked because they have 100% belief we can do it all and well. I feel like im doubting if i can. & i dont think they know how "ill" i still am compares to other recovery journeys. My care co ordinator must of gave a good refrenence.

I guess just a v intense month for something good & month isnt long. I mean it is a level 4 ( equavent to first year of uni) all in one month. So i think about it like that & its not so bad to be so stressed for just one month lol. 

& made descion that i am not going to take anti depressants anymore so stopped that.cause i dont want to be more tired than already am And not even going to bother making review for it - & no more ECGs. Hopefully they wont bother me with that and ring me - they will most likely forget about me :)
    edited May 2019
    Sorry posting again - I think i may be boring everyone. Please do tell me to shut up and that you do not care and i wil like vent on the notes app lol. Honestly wont be offended rather told me. Thank you xxxx

In my new "recovery language" - is best i use everywhere or things will get confusing

WORDS I CAN NOT SAY; (even if the peer says it themselves)

-Illness 
    -Issue 
    -Problem 
    -Difficulties( so far the ones above i say challenges instead) like MH challenges, not problem ect 
    -Suicide 
    -Never say my diagnosis or anyone else, (only describe it). PD, OCD and all that
    -Seeking attention 
    -Manipluative 
    -Mental, mad-(in any content) 
    -But/however (when it could sound likes it invaliding the main challenge) 

-obsession

-deludional

-self harmer

- patient/service user (only peer)

-obsessive

-relapse (all sorts of alternative - bump in road ect)

-Symptoms (say expereince) 

-unmotivated or lazy

-

And thats all i can rememeber from top of my head. 
    Its weird how i have apperently been using "un recovery language" 
    And langauge changes thought ect

So this training is very insightful

Its like education as well as therapy lol

(There is reasons for why cant say them which do make sense)

edited May 2019
    So i have started my asissgment for module one. Which was the first day. I've wrote the benefits for the peer support worker and the organization. Just hard to know the challenges it brings for Peer workers and organization.  Can't remember much about that tbh and i literally keep going to write something but forgetting like in seconds. Is that normal??? It's frustrating me :(((  i feel bit less stressed since I've start cause starting feel like most difficult part. But im scared my brain is a bit messed up with my memory from stress or have dementia
    sooo hard to stay concentrated
    Don't be sorry for posting - and I'm certainly interested <3

Shaunie said:
    They said the interview process is hard has ever ever been & that everyone was very carefully picked because they have 100% belief we can do it all and well. I feel like im doubting if i can. & i dont think they know how "ill" i still am compares to other recovery journeys. My care co ordinator must of gave a good refrenence.

I guess just a v intense month for something good & month isnt long. I mean it is a level 4 ( equavent to first year of uni) all in one month. So i think about it like that & its not so bad to be so stressed for just one month lol. 

& made descion that i am not going to take anti depressants anymore so stopped that.cause i dont want to be more tired than already am And not even going to bother making review for it - & no more ECGs. Hopefully they wont bother me with that and ring me - they will most likely forget about me :)
    They made a wise choice in picking you. We definitely believe you can do it and well:) Though I understand doubting if you can.

You're right in that it's a very intense month for something good. I totally hear how stressful it must be, but you're doing really well.

It seems like not taking the anti depressants anymore may be helpful. Have you noticed any difference, so far? - I'm guessing you only just stopped though lol so you probably haven't.

Shaunie said:
    WORDS I CAN NOT SAY; (even if the peer says it themselves)

-Illness 
    -Issue 
    -Problem 
    -Difficulties( so far the ones above i say challenges instead) like MH challenges, not problem ect 
    -Suicide 
    -Never say my diagnosis or anyone else, (only describe it). PD, OCD and all that
    -Seeking attention 
    -Manipluative 
    -Mental, mad-(in any content) 
    -But/however (when it could sound likes it invaliding the main challenge) 

-obsession

-deludional

-self harmer

- patient/service user (only peer)

-obsessive

-relapse (all sorts of alternative - bump in road ect)

-Symptoms (say expereince) 

-unmotivated or lazy

How do you feel about not being allowed to use those words? - tbh, I don't understand why you can't use some of those words. Particularly words like, "suicide", or the diagnosis. If anything, I feel that it's kind of discouraging talk about these issues. Hopefully my opinion isn't completely invalid and unnecessary here lol, I'm just interested:)

Shaunie said:
    So i have started my asissgment for module one. Which was the first day. I've wrote the benefits for the peer support worker and the organization. Just hard to know the challenges it brings for Peer workers and organization.  Can't remember much about that tbh and i literally keep going to write something but forgetting like in seconds. Is that normal??? It's frustrating me :(((  i feel bit less stressed since I've start cause starting feel like most difficult part. But im scared my brain is a bit messed up with my memory from stress or have dementia
    sooo hard to stay concentrated
    Aww, I can virtually gaurantee that you haven't got dementia. Your memory very well might be a bit bad from stress, or tiredness. I get how it's frustrating you:(

Not sure if this would help, but when I'm writing something at least, I find that listening to calm music designed for focus can be helpful.

Sorry I'm not of much use :/
    TODAY DID NOT GO WELL AT ALL 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I started crying and left. I could not do the role play and I just felt too overwhelmed. But this really nice girl about same age as me followed me and was really nice and felt better but very embarrassing:(
    Aww, so sorry to hear about today:(

It's understandable that it feels embarrassing. Though I hope you know there's no need to be <3 I'm glad that girl was nice and helped you feel better x How are you feeling now?
    Awful 😭😭😭😭  we have to do role play everyday now. And I really hateeeeeee it and just really hate it and it was hard because I had to do it with someone I hadn't spoke to yet. And it was too much. And questioning if confident enough. And I just questioning the commitment I've signed up to and how hard is
    I Dont want to go tomorrow:(((  I'm really scared :((((((((  the people are sooooo nice when they see I am anxious. But doesn't stop me from getting really bad :(((😭😭😭😭😭  

Does anyone have any advice on how to do role play? & anyone else hate it ?
    Reminds me of drama and hatedddd drama😔😔😔
    Have you tried sitting in front of a mirror and pretending to role play, as weird as that sounds? <3

Have you thought of telling them how you feel about the role play, if that's possible? - just thought it could help you feel better to just say.

You could also maybe try to think a positive thought every time you have a scared one. For example, "I'm scared I'll say something wrong and they'll think I'm not fit to be a peer support worker" - "they're really nice and non-judgmental, and there's no reason for me to say something wrong".

And of course, please feel free to vent about it all, if you want - just getting it out can sometimes ease feelings of fear, anyway <3
    I Dont know what would help 😭😭😭
    People said they didn't like the role play and he said ”you gonna have to get used to it because we will be doing this everyday” 
    😭😭😭😭  I can't be walking out crying everyday 😭😭😭😭
    And I know the communication assessment is role play 😭😭😭
  • davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    Uhm the roleplay I've done is NSFW so I'm not much if an help 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
    Thank you. 
    I will try tomorrow. I've already read the scenarios for tomorrow and seems quite hard

This is the last page tomorrow so I'm guessing we will learn how to support them in those situations 
    But still I'm so scared 😭😭

edited May 2019
    There is another reason why hate role play that is triggering/upsetting to read so I won't say it. But do you think if I was being triggered so much that I could tell them that?   It makes me feel v suffocated and like can't leave the room  

And BTW apparently if I speak differently or act differently  (not saying certain things) its because it's my new language that I have to use everywhere lol
    Starting crying again doing role play. But this time proper crying and spoke with tutor. I said why  (won't say here) She said she is going to have to sPeak to manager since our communication assessment is role play. I don’t know how can go round it. But she was so lovely and said it was brave of me to say how it makes me feel & way of taking care of myself and she doesn't want me doing something that is making really uncomfortable  
    And I stayed in the quiet room until they stopped the role play.  But I was crying so much my eyes got blood shot and still are that when I went back in the room everyone could tell I was crying and felt was being stared out. But someone passed me a note off. ”i know we haven't shared a table yet and I haven't spoke to you properly but I am here for you” and that was so kind.

I don’t know how they can work a way round it  

I now I feel sick and Dont know why

edited May 2019
    And @kathleen0172
    You was speaking about you Dont get why we can never say anyone diagnosis or say suicide

Here's why 

Basically say if someone says ”i have depression”  
    We could assume what that looks like. So never say diagnosis to say their diagnosis as make assumptions of what that diagnosis looks like. So should only explain. 
    Only say when saying what they have been diagnosed with

There's a few pages of ”unrecovery” and recovery words if anyone interesting. 
    I find it all quite interesting which is why I share but then people probs Dont lol
    How have you been today Shaunie? <3
    edited May 2019
    I'm feeling okay I guess. Im not dreading tuesday. People on the course are so lovely so that helps. And I'm glad I've told them how much I hate role plays. They was really kind about it and said it's good I am telling them this stuff cause its looking after myself.  Thankfully, i was scared they thought i wasnt fit enough for it if keep crying over doing role play. And  Had not much choice to say cause I started crying lol but yeah. They will probably not think way round it and will probs end up doing it and that is stressing me out. 

And also finding the assignment work quite hard. And need to write my story

I'm surprised ”story” isn't in un recovery language since story sounds not real lol. But yeah going to be hard to stop saying certain words. And not say ”but/however/atleast” when trying to say how well they have done instead. But yeah also finding it hard to say to people ”how are you" instead of "you okay" (cause we have been doing open and closed questions) so better to say how are you

and omg it doesnt sound like it. But there is so much to learn. But it is really insightful into being more understanding of people, how to support them and how i say things can have difference