Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Not sure how to advance with music

TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this because I'm looking for advice rather than sharing something. Recently I've been thinking of getting back into music but I'm not sure where to go next. I've really wanted to play a musical instrument for years but I've reached a point where I don't know how to advance any further.

I've tried to teach myself various instruments for as long as I can remember and I had around four years of piano lessons before I had to quit a couple of years ago. I've barely managed to practice since and at this point, I'm not sure how good my skills are or how I could improve. I guess I'm just looking for more guidance because I keep getting told to just do it for fun but I find it hard to enjoy because I don't have any set goals now that I'm not aiming for grades anymore (I would still love to get all the grades in music theory and piano but I took my first ones six years ago and got put off). 

Has anyone got any good online courses or forums they could recommend? I know I haven't included a lot of information but I don't know what to say. If anyone could talk me through some things I would really appreciate it.  :)

Comments

• Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey @TheAprilFool <3 I'm into music - have hopes of becoming a musician (specifically singer) in the future.

And I started playing the piano/keyboard when I was 11; I'm 14 now and it's been roughly 2 and a half years :) Honestly, music tends to just come to me a bit. But one thing that really helped me learn piano, was teaching myself the 1st movement of the Moonlight Sonata. The keyboard I started playing on had an option where you could learn various songs, and it had a shortened and simplified version. So I found myself spending a lot of time trying to learn it. Once I had, I then taught myself the full movement by watching a tutorial on youtube. Doing this helped me get used to the keys and sounds. As for other instruments, I'm trying to learn guitar right now - I've started off by finding youtube tutorials for chords, such as A major, A minor, E major, E minor.

So when it comes to learning instruments, I'd definitely suggest looking at tutorials for chords or songs you love. Have you tried doing that? Idk if it would be helpful for you.

I keep getting told to just do it for fun but I find it hard to enjoy because I don't have any set goals now that I'm not aiming for grades anymore (I would still love to get all the grades in music theory and piano but I took my first ones six years ago and got put off).
    Are you saying here that you want to have a goal while doing music - and what would you count as a goal? Would that be picking the piano back up and learning to play a favourite song, or maybe becoming fab at the bass and getting to play in a band, for example?

I'm sorry I'm not of much use. I hope someone can recommend some courses or good advice.

Hope you're doing okay <3
  • Options
    Hey @TheAprilFool <3 I'm into music - have hopes of becoming a musician (specifically singer) in the future.

And I started playing the piano/keyboard when I was 11; I'm 14 now and it's been roughly 2 and a half years :) Honestly, music tends to just come to me a bit. But one thing that really helped me learn piano, was teaching myself the 1st movement of the Moonlight Sonata. The keyboard I started playing on had an option where you could learn various songs, and it had a shortened and simplified version. So I found myself spending a lot of time trying to learn it. Once I had, I then taught myself the full movement by watching a tutorial on youtube. Doing this helped me get used to the keys and sounds. As for other instruments, I'm trying to learn guitar right now - I've started off by finding youtube tutorials for chords, such as A major, A minor, E major, E minor.

So when it comes to learning instruments, I'd definitely suggest looking at tutorials for chords or songs you love. Have you tried doing that? Idk if it would be helpful for you.

I keep getting told to just do it for fun but I find it hard to enjoy because I don't have any set goals now that I'm not aiming for grades anymore (I would still love to get all the grades in music theory and piano but I took my first ones six years ago and got put off).
    Are you saying here that you want to have a goal while doing music - and what would you count as a goal? Would that be picking the piano back up and learning to play a favourite song, or maybe becoming fab at the bass and getting to play in a band, for example?

I'm sorry I'm not of much use. I hope someone can recommend some courses or good advice.

Hope you're doing okay <3
    Hey. Thanks for the advice. I'm already pretty familiar with the piano and can play a few songs.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,305 Part of The Furniture
    I was about to ask a similar thing after reading your main post. It feels like this might depend on where your satisfaction of playing the instrument comes from. For some, it's being very technically good, which can be taking a lot of lessons. For others, it's being able to jam with their friends or being able to play some basic songs. What is it for you?

I had drum lessons when I was younger and found that to be a good source of motivation, partly because I had an awesome teacher, and partly because I knew I could trust my source of learning (whereas I probably wouldn't trust myself to learn correctly through YouTube or something). When I eventually stopped taking lessons, I went to a weekly samba percussion band that was a good laugh.

If the social/light fun aspect of it appeals to you, I'd recommend looking into some casual music groups in your area. Nothing compares to playing music with other people for me. :) 

Really awesome that you're trying to feed your creative side, by the way. I hope you find what you need to get back into music.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Hey guys. Sorry for the late/short replies. I haven't managed to come to the boards much recently. I had lessons for about 4 years a while back and wasn't sure how to get back into it now that these aren't available, but I found a good online course that I feel suits my needs. :) 
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Good on you that you found a good course :)