Home General Chat Positivity Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Looking to the future

JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
Hey guys 

I hope this is the right place for this. Anyway I went to an offer holders open day on Wednesday at uni and it made me really excited for the future. It made everything seem so real for me and I can’t wait. I am going to be doing a degree in mental health nursing for those who don’t know and I am so proud of myself for using my experiences to care for others. I can’t wait for September to get started and be able to officially call myself a student nurse! Never thought I’d be able to get to this point but what it shows is that it’s never too late to follow your dreams and even if you take a different path, you can still end up at the right destination. I am 25 now and this will be my second degree, so it has taken me quite a while to get to where I want to be haha! 

Does anyone else else have any future dreams? Doesn’t have to be career goals can be anything. Even if it seems impossible I’d love to hear :) 
The sun will rise and we will try again 

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Aww, this is lovely to read <3 Good on you, I bet you'd be great in mental health nursing.

I dream of being a singer in a rock band. It probs won't happen though lol - though I'm willing to work for it and I'd love it if it could come true. I'm 14 so I guess I have some time to think about it.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Your be an amazing mental health nurse jelly ! 

For now my future goal is just to get through the the next 2 years of my L3 course :) and then hopefully go on to study SEND or a CAMHS degree than can be done at my local uni 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    edited April 2019
    Hey @Jellyelephant

I'm so happy for you! You're going to be an amazing mental health nurse and I'm very excited to hear all about your course when you start in September. 

I completely agree with what you said, it's never too late to follow your dreams and it's okay if it takes a bit longer to get there than you hope. It's so inspiring how strong you really are to have fought through everything and turn your life around. You've found your way forward and I'm so proud of you Jelly! 

Thank you for your lovely message about The Mix and all the members here. I'm so glad we were there for you when you had no-one. I can't imagine how hard that time was for you and I'm so glad you found us! I can't imagine the community without you :) 

Well done again Jelly! This is the perfect time to celebrate with a unicorn cake. Keep us updated with everything and I hope the occupational health check goes okay too. <3
    Post edited by Aife on
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    love this thread!!!!<3 <3<3

so proud and happy for you jelly. <3 totally agree with everything you said!
    & youre doing so well. Will be a great mental health nurse!! xxx

My goal is to be a Peer support worker which is starting to look possible 😊
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Congratulations! You'll be great!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,287 Part of The Furniture
    Aife said:
    I completely agree with what you said, it's never too late to follow your dreams and it's okay if it takes a bit longer to get there than you hope. It's so inspiring how strong you really are to have fought through everything and turn your life around. You've found your way forward and I'm so proud of you Jelly! 

Thank you for your lovely message about The Mix and all the members here. I'm so glad we were there for you when you had no-one. I can't imagine how hard that time was for you and I'm so glad you found us! I can't imagine the community without you :)
    This. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.