Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hi, my name is rosie

purplerosiepurplerosie Posts: 4 Newbie
edited March 2019 in Introduce Yourself
So this is my first time doing something like this (evidently) and I kinda don't know where to start or what to do right now, so please send help. I don't know how to have conversations with people and I find myself spiralling and I don't know how to explain to my parents that I'm depressed and sometimes just don't want to talk or be around others and that I'm not purposely ignoring them. I'm studying in a different country to where my parents live and my Dad is threatening to pull me out of school because of my inability to communicate with them and I don't know what to do. I don't know to explain that I'm hurting and they just think that I'm being rude or disrespectful and immature.
Post edited by purplerosie on

Comments

• Options
    littlegemzlittlegemz Posts: 52 Boards Initiate
    Are there any clubs that you could join to get to know people? Maybe a teacher would be able to help find something? Communication can be hard when you don't feel confident but as you get to know people things will get easier and become more natural x
  • Options
    purplerosiepurplerosie Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited March 2019
    Hi :)

Thank you so much for your response.

The tricky part is if we were to meet you wouldn't be able to tell that I deal with social anxiety or even depression. I am not in any way shy or quiet and I don't really have issue of lack of confidence. I'm usually that one kid whose always laughing, smiling, answering questions, arguing and generally interacting with different groups of people. 

For example, if I was to meet a new person (or even an acquaintance) I can easily engage in a conversation with them about any topic. However no matter how interesting the conversation might  be I find myself losing interest days/weeks later and I won't being able to keep up with the constant stream of conversation outside of the occasional small talk and I usually just talking to them completely. Which makes life a little bit lonely.

I'm Kinda still a new Student to the University that I'm currently attending and I'm scared that everyone would already be in their own little cliques but I guess that it wouldn't kill me to do some research as to what society groups they have and try to join one. x

• Options
    dannieeedannieee Posts: 3 Newbie
    I’m the exact same. I’m quite an extrovert in public but that’s because I don’t want people to think bad of me. If it were up to me, I’d sit at home and not speak to anybody and just cry to myself. I told my parents about my depression today and I thought they’d call me stupid but they were so understanding and they’re helping me to get help. It’s worth telling them and opening up
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Welcome Rosie!x

It's tough, but I think that you should take the leap and be honest with them. It's a difficult thing to do, but that way, you're open with your parents about what you're going through, and it takes the weight off your shoulders from carrying this around without speaking a word about it. You could speak to a counsellor beforehand to talk it through!x

Much love <3

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.