Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Different song, same title?!

sozforhappysozforhappy Deactivated Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
Doesn't it occur to you that a song artist makes a song of the same title as another artists song? Like one of my favourite songs is This is Me by Demi Lovato, but they also made a song of the same title in The Greatest Showman of the same title with similar lyrics and sort of similar rhythm too! Not to mention possible copyrighting and stealing ideas (no criticism intended here). Don't get me wrong, I love both songs, but whenever I sing either one to myself or just have it playing in my head I always get it mixed up with the other and feel like the new song is replacing the one I always listened to first.

Comments

• ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    Hey Sozforhappy,

Yes this happens to me all the time.   That moment when your singing something in your head, and before you know it your mixing the lyrics up.  

I wonder if they use the same song writers?  Sometimes that happens with artists.  There was a big thing a few years ago with Beyonce and Kelly Clarkson.  They used the same writer and ended up with songs that sounded the same. 

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown

• AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    Italia said:
    Hey Sozforhappy,

Yes this happens to me all the time.   That moment when your singing something in your head, and before you know it your mixing the lyrics up.  

I wonder if they use the same song writers?  Sometimes that happens with artists.  There was a big thing a few years ago with Beyonce and Kelly Clarkson.  They used the same writer and ended up with songs that sounded the same. 
    Yeah this is commonly found across the music industry. I could give you a list of ones I know but I wont I'll explain why it happens there is only so many chords and melodies a song writer and come up with. So you might see it has the same name and a different artist, lyrics and chord melody but really it's the same melody.

Some I am aware about which have the same title. 
    Wings by birdy also little mix 
    Yours by Elton John as well ella Henderson

@Italia I havent heard about that one actually doesnt surprise me though. Might do some research into that one actually. 

@sozforhappy yeah it happens a lot like I explained. This is me is just an iconic song never watched the film personally but that song generally has lot of hidden messages. 

Abi
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

This happens a lot! Some people make covers of other peoples songs. Sometimes, they will agree to recreate another artist's song in exchange for splitting the revenue etc. Sometimes the song will be different, but the lyrics are from the same songwriter. There's also sampling! A lot of melodies, rhythms, drum beats etc are borrowed between different artists as well :)

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    Hey @Abigail
    If you want to look it up I think it was Halo by Beyonce and Gone by Kelly Clarkson.  Different lyrics, but the same tune. Once you hear it you can't un-hear it!

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown

• AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    Italia said:
    Hey @Abigail
    If you want to look it up I think it was Halo by Beyonce and Gone by Kelly Clarkson.  Different lyrics, but the same tune. Once you hear it you can't un-hear it!
    Being the music nerd I am, i have looked into it for coursework and wow I will never be able to listen to the song again. 

I think the reason it happened was the copyright of the melody wasnt in place so the songwriter used that melody after writing helo and that's how it all came about. 

Been an interesting read and definitely a vital thing that someone wouldnt notice (not even people who call themself a musician can here it) here a cover I found of the halo lyrics and the Kelly Clarkson song chord progression 

https://youtu.be/WAw2wrZoC3c&nbsp;
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.