Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Would you forgive your partner for cheating?

chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
edited March 2019 in Sex & Relationships
Whether it be a sexual or an emotional affair, would you be able to forgive a partner who cheats?

Would you forgive your partner for cheating? 7 votes

Yes
28%
NekolovesteaVilJa 2 votes
No
57%
One-in-a-millionRileymags98Elsbeth97 4 votes
Depends on the act involved
14%
Lucy307 1 vote

Comments

• One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    No
    In my opinion no, but it depends on what you class as “cheating” was it a drunken kiss by mistake and he/she has owned up to it and is legitimately sorry for what happened? Or is it something that has been going on for a while and he/she has hid it from you?

I wouldn’t say I had been cheated on but I was speaking to a guy once and after a while I started to fall for him. He got with another girl which I thought to myself “we weren’t together so whatever..” but he ignored me throughout his relationship until they broke up. Then started talking to me again. I was annoyed with him for only talking to me now that they broke up and said I felt like I was “second choice.” He managed to get round me telling me how sorry he was, that she was controlling and didn’t like him speaking to other girls ect.

eventually I decided to give him another chance we were talking and we arranged a date. On that night I was dressed and ready to walk out the door when I got a text saying there had been a family emergency and that he couldn’t make it and he was so sorry. Safe to say I was gutted but understood that family comes first as it does for me. 

However I woke up the next day to find ge had changed his relationship status and posted photos in a pub with another girl. They were taken on the night he told me there had been and emergency.

again he ignored me throughout his relationship and then they broke up he came back and started talking to me saying her children kept taking the phone and that she was insecure about him talking to others ect.

this time I told him where to go. I said that I was obviously just a second choice to him and that he had hurt me twice now without even being in a relationship with him.

so in that respect I don’t think I could but I haven’t really been in a full on relationship and had this happen to me.
  • NekolovesteaNekolovestea Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Yes
    Yes, I would, but I should not. I tend to be extremely attached to someone if i am in a relationship with them, so yes, I would because I wouldn't want to lose them and because I believe they could change. The truth might be different but I know I'm weak when it comes to this kind of decision. So would I yes, should I, probably not.
    “You must see with eyes unclouded by hate. See the good in that which is evil, and the evil in that which is good. Pledge yourself to neither side, but vow instead to preserve the balance that exists between the two.” 
    -Hayao Miyazaki
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    No
    For me personally I don't think I could forgive someone for cheating on me, regardless of the act involved what's much more hurtful is the broken trust and I find it very hard to repair relationships (any kind not just romantic) after trust is broken.

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Hey everyone- thank you so much for taking part. Some really insightful replies here :)
    Thanks for voting @One-in-a-million :)

I was sorry to hear about your experience, but glad that you were strong enough to get through it and cut off contact. 
    Hey @Nekolovestea I don't think you're weak at all. When you love someone, and feel loneliness so keenly, it can be very easy to become attached and stay that way no matter what. 
    Great point about broken trust, even in non-romantic relationships @Riley !