Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Post of the month - January

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
Hey everyone,

Here's the nominees for January's post of the month :) 

1. @Ariana 's reply in 'Young Carers & Mental Health - self care tips'

I don't think that's a stupid question at all @Shaunie. My dad openly calls himself a mental health carer for me, but I feel a bit conflicted about it to be honest, because although he does really help me with practical things (for which I am very grateful!) he's not really supportive of me emotionally and always just brushes me off whenever I want to talk about something or minimises my problems. That doesn't mean I'm not really grateful for all the practical support he gives me because I am, I just feel like him calling himself my mental health carer is a bit contradictory when he doesn't want to be involved in the emotional side of things at all.

That said, I think all you young carers are absolutely amazing individuals and I have so much respect for what you guys handle in your day-to-day lives. I also know all sorts of self-care tips but rarely manage to follow them myself. I guess the one self-care thing that helps me the most is spending time around animals, especially my cat, because cuddles from him always make me feel better and the sound of his purring is so calming and comforting. I feel like animals give you a good time out from human company because they don't judge you in the same way and they don't require any conversation, they're happy to just sit and be with you. So that's what helps me the most.

2. @Aurora 's reply in 'employment and mental health'
See Darkness, this is were I disagree with you, I know people who were in hospital with me, who are on long term benefits, because of their mental illness, and I'm ngl, but what income do they have, while in hospital? I know in hospital everything is provided, for example food, accomodation, etc. You don't technically need to pay for anything, but then, what about the extras? What about bath products, clothes, etc? Without them recieving benefits, they wouldn't be able to get them, what if they wanted food that the hospital couldn't provide, sweets? Crisps? Things were lucky enough to be able to get and afford, because we do work. 

And when these people who have been in hospital for a year are suddenly discharged, they have no income, how are they meant to afford to live out of hospital? It's not just people with mental health who get benefits neither, what about those with physical health. 

The benefit system  has done wonders for  me, and without it, I would of probaberbly still be going in and out of hospital, because finaincially I wouldn't be able to support myself, I at the time was overdosing every other day, I couldn't go into work, because I was not only putting myself at risk, I was putting other people at risk. I was constantly calling in sick, so my income was starting to get seriously bad, I couldn't afford rent, I couldn't afford to look after myself. I stopped all self care, and if I didn't start getting benefits at the time, and I did continue working, I probaberbly wouldn't be here. 

I agree some people take the piss with benefits, but you're so lucky that you can still manage to work and battle your mental illness, sometimes it just isn't possible. But not everyone has the capability to work, and I really hope you get where I'm coming from, How difficult it is to drag yourself out of bed every morning and follow the same routine, how you stop looking after yourself because you've given up on everything. 

I know what both sides of this story are like, and its not always possible to work and battle your mental illness, and you do need to be that extra bit stronger to be able to work and battle your mental illness. 

3. @Kathleen's reply in 'I need supprt from someone'
I'm sorry you're turned away, that shouldn't happen. I'm not sure if it's something you'd want, but could you try out talking to a therapist online? That could be a possibility if you can't get anyone else to listen. Though if you've only seen one or two professionals (assuming that's what you're talking about?) it could always be worth it to keep trying until you find someone who will help (as someone somewhere will).

Having strong feelings for him still sounds extremely hard for you xo

I can understand putting others first, and it shows you're considerate which is great. I know it's hard to stop putting others before yourself even for just a second. But remember that you matter too, very much. I hope you can start taking some time to care for yourself buddy.

Remember to keep a look out for posts to nominate this month. You can nominate a post by flagging it, selecting Report, and then choosing 'Post of the Month nomination' as the reason. 

Aife & the team
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Post of the month - January 7 votes

Ariana
28% 2 votes
Aurora
28% 2 votes
Kathleen
42% 3 votes

Comments

• TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Hey everyone,

I just posted this up again because I forgot to make the poll private on the last post! I've transferred @kathleen0172's comment over to this new thread :) 

Originally posted by @kathleen0172
    Nominated again what the hell, thanks joy But really hope @Ariana or @Aurora win, vote for them please 
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • ArianaAriana Posts: 193 Trailblazer
    I think your nominated post is lovely @kathleen0172 ! I feel a little bit embarrassed about mine because I spend half of it moaning about my dad, but thank you very much to whoever nominated me. I'm glad someone found it helpful! 
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Congratulations @kathleen0172 you're January's post of the month winner! Your post will be featured in the newsletter this month :) 

Well done to all the nominees too!

I'll be posting up the February post of the month nominations soon so keep an eye out for it :) 

- Aife & the team

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Aww don't deserve that thank you guys :blush: Maybe the others will win next time <3