Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What does intimacy mean to you?

chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
Intimacy is a term often conflated with sex, but that's not all there is to it. People can be sexual without being intimate, just like people can be intimate without sex being involved. 

Think back on your experiences of intimacy, and of sex, and see if you think there's a difference. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below :)

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    edited February 2019
    I definitely feel intimacy and sex is different as you can have one without the other.

For me intimacy on a daily basis is cuddles/snuggles, kisses,  falling asleep in each others arms, doing things together like playing games,  having laughs. 

I consider sexual activity intimate in its own way,  especially with some snuggles thrown in after 😂

Like you said,  you can be sexual alone,  and you can intimate alone,  but you can also have the two together :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    I once saw someone explain it as being when you can feel vulnerable around someone while also feeling safe. I think I would agree with that statement.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit

Intimacy to me means physically touching each other without being sexual or having sex and knowing the person well. And is definetly different to sex. 

And think intimarcy can lead to sex and intimacy defiently makes better sex. Cause sex without intimacy isnt that great. 

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • SkyeIsNotTheLimitSkyeIsNotTheLimit Posts: 86 Budding Regular
    I think intimacy is being close to someone, so whether that is sexually; physically or emotionally. 

I always picture it as looking deeply into someone's eyes and for a minute completely forgetting the world around you and being lost in another world 
    I told her once I wasn’t good at anything. She told me survival is a talent
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Agree with a lot of comments above, intimacy to me is more about the little things and feeling safe with someone, whereas sex is... Sex :lol:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    To me intimacy is both physical and emotional, being physically close (sexually or not) and also being able to be honest and vulnerable. There's definitely a difference between intimacy and sex and I think you can definitely have one without the other. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Thanks for the reply @Laine ! You gave some really good examples of intimacy. 
    That's a really great way of phrasing it @TheAprilFool ! I think being vulnerable physically and emotionally is one of the most intimate things you can do. Having that kind of trust with someone is very special. 
    You make some good points @Shaunie ! Especially about physical intimacy being separate from sex. 
    That's a great way to look at it @SkyeIsNotTheLimit :)
    Safety has come up a few times, and I think you're absolutely right that it's a distinct feature of intimacy @Lucy307
    Absolutely @independent_ ! I think you're right that touching doesn't always have to be sexual to be intimate.