Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is is possible to hide a thread?

ArianaAriana Posts: 193 Trailblazer
Hi, I'm still quite new here, and just wondering if it's possible to hide a particular thread so that you don't have to see it? Obviously I know I don't have to click on it, but even just the title of this particular thread is a bit triggering for me when I see it (just because of my own issues, not because there's anything wrong with the thread!) So I was wondering if there's anything I can do to stop the title even coming up for me in places like the What's New page? Completely understand if not, just thought I'd ask in case I'm missing a trick. Thank you x

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Ariana, there isn't a way I don't think (if I'm wrong @The Mix should say), sorry! :/ xo
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited January 2019
    I’ve asked this and there isn’t a way. And they said “We'll make a note of this as a feature and see if it's something Vanilla can develop in the future. ”

Is it one one of my threads? Always parniod when people ask this sort lol. And because I made two threads today and just make threads a lot lol which makes it quiet likely.  If is I’ll ask them to delete it or edit the title 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • ArianaAriana Posts: 193 Trailblazer
    Thank you @kathleen0172 and @Shaunie. I might actually delete this if I can now I know the answer because I don't want to make people paranoid, especially when it's my issue, not anything anyone else has done! My head's just in a bad place right now so I'm overreacting to everything. Nothing either of you have done so please don't worry xx
    edited January 2019
    Ariana said:
    Thank you @kathleen0172 and @Shaunie. I might actually delete this if I can now I know the answer because I don't want to make people paranoid, especially when it's my issue, not anything anyone else has done! My head's just in a bad place right now so I'm overreacting to everything. Nothing either of you have done so please don't worry xx
    No sorry. I am always parniod and didn’t mean to make you feel bad. But is okay i get triggered by things like a whole thread and doesn’t mean anyone’s done anything wrong. But I was just wondering if I could help if it was one of my thread 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Thanks @Shaunie, you didn't make me feel bad! Just realised it might make other people feel paranoid too and I don't want to make people feel bad either. But I think I went and missed the window where I could edit it anyway so now I don't think I can do anything! 
    Ariana said:
    Thanks @Shaunie, you didn't make me feel bad! Just realised it might make other people feel paranoid too and I don't want to make people feel bad either. But I think I went and missed the window where I could edit it anyway so now I don't think I can do anything! 
    Was it one of my threads tho? Lol. It’s totally okay if is. Just really want to help cause I’ve asked the same question so do realise it’s not pathetic to get triggered by title of thread. 
    Ariana said:
    I'm sorry your head's in a bad place bud, and also you're not overreacting <3 You don't at all have to have this thread deleted! However, if you want to...

Click the flag button (on your first post),

Click report,

Select "this is my post and I want to delete it",

Add in the notes that you want the thread deleted.

xo
    Thank you both for being so lovely and understanding. It wasn't you Shaunie, I usually find your threads really interesting. And thank you kathleen for explaining how to do that because I hadn't worked that out yet! 
    No problem at all Ariana :)
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Hey @Ariana,

You can't hide a specific thread, but you can add specific people to your 'ignore list' which should hide all their posts from your view. A bit more heavy-handed than hiding one post, but can help if you find there's a particular person posting about a topic you're finding tricky.

And as these folks have already said, this isn't an overreaction. We have the ignore feature there to help people look after themselves and avoid conversations they don't feel up to reading, and making use of it is something we encourage everyone to do if they need to.

It doesn't have to be a personal thing so no worries about worrying anybody. :)

Mike & the team
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    Thank you @The Mix really useful to know about that feature too, although I'd hope I never have to use it. Thank you for saying it's not an overreaction too. I'm kind of used to everyone in my real life just calling me "silly" whenever I get upset by stuff, so it's nice to see that doesn't happen on here. 
    So I actually had to try using the "Ignore" function today because there was a thread I really didn't want to keep seeing, but even after doing it the thread is still showing on the "What's New" section. (It even seems to be pinned to the top but I don't know why because it's not a @The Mix thread) Have I done it wrong?
    Ah i see what your trigger is. Im so sorry. One of my threads must of been one of them. 
    & i think that thread is pinned because its part or what The Mix are doing with a voluteer. Though idk but when ignore people the thread title stil comes up

but i just wanted to say sorry if one of my threads triggered you 
    edited January 2019
    Ohh thanks @Shaunie that explains why it's pinned at least. I didn't look closely enough to see what the actual content of the thread was. It's okay, it's a really stupid trigger, just relates to my own issues. Nobody here has done anything wrong, it's just me being weird.
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Hey both,

Just dropping in here to confirm what @Shaunie's saying - we pin anything we think everyone should know about. Most of the time that happens with threads we post, but very occasionally it will be one someone else has written.

We've actually just tested this ourselves (we didn't do this before, but we probably should have!) and it looks like ignoring somebody only hides their responses to threads rather than main posts. Presumably, the logic there is that it shows you who wrote the thread anyway, so if they're someone you want to ignore, you'll know not to read it. But you don't always know who's responded to a thread, so that's what the ignore feature protects you from. If that makes sense.

Not to say that's our thinking, but that seems to be the reason it works the way it does. :) In theory, thread-titles should be as trigger free as possible, so hopefully that's not an issue.

We all have our triggers and things that make us uncomfortable, and it's good that you're trying to avoid that stuff and make your experience suitable for you @Ariana. :) Hopefully the ignore feature lets you do that as much as you need to.

Let us know if you have any other thoughts or questions. :)

Mike & the team
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    edited January 2019
    Thank you @The Mix for explaining it to me. It doesn't really do what I thought it would do because I was aiming to hide the title of the thread, so I'll undo it because I never really wanted to ignore a particular user, just to not see a particular thread. I guess if you ever make any future developments to the site maybe people would find it useful to be able to hide particular threads as well as hiding particular users? Just a thought. Thanks for your help! 

As another aside, I'm not sure what it does when you click "dismiss" on one of the pinned posts? I thought it would take it off the pinned bit but it didn't so I'm not sure what it actually did or whether I should be clicking it or not...