Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Body dysphoria is coming back again

snowpuffssnowpuffs Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
I've been suffering from body dysphoria for about 2 years now. Ever since I started being aware of my body and how I dressed I haven't liked what I saw.

In my head for years I thought I was curvy like every other girl and I was happy with that. I look closer to how most girls with dysphoria think they look like if they think they're too skinny or curveless. I only have 2 features I'm fine with and even then being underweight is making me feel really horrible about myself.

My medication isn't helping as it's made my weight fluctuate like crazy and stepping on the scale can make me feel bad in the mornings if I haven't gained.

I didn't even mention the weird defect I have that makes things worse. I just don't like a lot of what I see.

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hi. I just wanted to say sorry you're going through this:( We're here for you. Is there anything you feel could help with this (for example, joining a support group)? Sending hugs, and hopefully someone here can offer better advice/support. <3
  • snowpuffssnowpuffs Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi. I just wanted to say sorry you're going through this:( We're here for you. Is there anything you feel could help with this (for example, joining a support group)? Sending hugs, and hopefully someone here can offer better advice/support. <3
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit

Hi. 

I’m sorry you’re feeling like this. 

Have you spoke to your doctor about your medication and how it is affecting you? Sometimes there are alternative ones and have to try a few to see which one works for you. 

And do you speak to anyone about how you’re feeling in general with your BDD? Think sharing obsessive thoughts can make them less powerful. ? or with people who understand

We are here for you too though. & I hope youre taking time to self care too. 

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie said:

Hi. 

Have you spoke to your doctor about your medication and how it is affecting you? Sometimes there are alternative ones and have to try a few to see which one works for you. 

And do you speak to anyone about how you’re feeling in general with your BDD? Think sharing obsessive thoughts can make them less powerful. ? or with people who understand

I am on new medication which can help with this. Only problem is I'm taking it for something else one week per month and family doesn't want me hooked on meds as they didn't need meds themselves at my age.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    snowpuffs said:
    Shaunie said:

Hi. 

I am on new medication which can help with this. Only problem is I'm taking it for something else one week per month and family doesn't want me hooked on meds as they didn't need meds themselves at my age.
    Hey @snowpuffs, and a belated welcome. :) 

It sounds like your parents are getting pretty involved with your treatment (or lackthereof?). How much have you talked to them about what you're experiencing? Would you say you're close with your parents?

Although they usually have good intentions, really the only people who can advise you on treatment are medical professionals. Parents or friends wanting you to go down a certain path could be linked to their personal experiences, or even internal biases or insecurities. In order to get the best advice for you, it's best to have an honest conversation with a professional and see what you both think.

As @Shaunie said, there are almost always alternatives to try out. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right fit, just like a lot of other things in life. :) 

family doesn't want me hooked on meds as they didn't need meds themselves at my age

What do you want, snowpuffs? I know it can be daunting to go against family and the other pressures we come up against, but it's okay if you want something different. It's your body and your mind.

I don't have much insight to give in terms of BDD itself - hopefully some others have more to offer there. :) 
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Mike said:
    snowpuffs said:
    Shaunie said:

Hi. 

Hey @snowpuffs, and a belated welcome. :) 

It sounds like your parents are getting pretty involved with your treatment (or lackthereof?). How much have you talked to them about what you're experiencing? Would you say you're close with your parents?

Although they usually have good intentions, really the only people who can advise you on treatment are medical professionals. Parents or friends wanting you to go down a certain path could be linked to their personal experiences, or even internal biases or insecurities. In order to get the best advice for you, it's best to have an honest conversation with a professional and see what you both think.

As @Shaunie said, there are almost always alternatives to try out. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right fit, just like a lot of other things in life. :) 

family doesn't want me hooked on meds as they didn't need meds themselves at my age

What do you want, snowpuffs? I know it can be daunting to go against family and the other pressures we come up against, but it's okay if you want something different. It's your body and your mind.

I don't have much insight to give in terms of BDD itself - hopefully some others have more to offer there. :) 
    Because of what my family says I keep doubting I need anti anxiety meds. I am seeing a professional soon about getting another one for a seperate issue. If it sits well with me I'll probably continue taking it.

My mom has reminded me that I don't need her approval to take my meds unless it effects the whole household.

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    That sounds positive? Hope youre meds appiontment goes okay. & they can hel
     Have you learnt any self help stuff to manage your BDD that work a lil?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie said:
    That sounds positive? Hope youre meds appiontment goes okay. & they can hel
     Have you learnt any self help stuff to manage your BDD that work a lil?
    I honestly should read some BDD self help just in case. I am feeling better now though.