Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Worried About My Mum

SkyeIsNotTheLimitSkyeIsNotTheLimit Posts: 86 Budding Regular
Hi,

So my mum is a recovering alcoholic and has been for 16 years. She hasn't touched a drop of alcohol on purpose (someone once gave her the wrong drink last month but she is still on the wagon)

I've noticed that she is really keen on over the counter meds. She says she has a tooth ache, but she is taking well over what she is meant to. Plus I was afraid to buy her cough medicine earlier because she takes it like it's a drink.

Not sure what to do tbh  :'(:s
I told her once I wasn’t good at anything. She told me survival is a talent

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Skye x

Sorry to hear about all of this. 

Of course she very well could have toothache, is she taking regular painkillers like paracetamol or ibuprofen? Could they just not be cutting it?  Or does she just take them religiously?(Every 4 hours or less) 

Cough medicine if you are aware usually has a bit of ethanol in it, does she sound like she has a cold? (big wheezing cough or blowing  her nose) 

Some recovering alcoholics drink cough medicine for the kick, or she could just be feeling poorly. She could have turned to painkillers for extra or could genuinely have a toothache. 

I'm really sorry regardless because it sucks being that anxious about things xo

I think it's best to maybe ask her how she is,  has any big events in her life happened that could have set it off? 

Ask her how she's feeling and such and see how she reacts.  Maybe suggest she goes to the dentist for that tooth or doctor for that cough and see how she reacts. If she's quick to dismiss it then somethijg may be up.  

Have you got another family member you can talk to about it? 

Keep us updated we'ee all here xo 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    edited December 2018
    Hey bud,

Sorry about that situation, you can always chat on here as much as you like if you need support <3

It sounds to me like she could have an addiction problem, or is about to develop one, though I could be wrong (she might even just need to see a dentist/doctor ha).

Perhaps you could try to talk to her about it if you're up to that? Just approach her at a good time and be honest; say you're concerned. If it's worrying you a lot, it could be a good idea for you to tell someone else trustworthy about this?

Wishing you both the best x
  • SkyeIsNotTheLimitSkyeIsNotTheLimit Posts: 86 Budding Regular
    Thanks @Laine and @kathleen0172 for replying!

I know my mum has been in a lot of pain, I just get worried about her because she always seems to be taking something for some kind of pain. So either way it's sad for me to see.

I know it's bad, but sometimes I read her messages because I'm scared she's up to something, and the things she says confirms my fears sometimes. 

I guess the most important thing I can do is be there for my mum bur also remember I'm not her therapist or punching bag if things get rough for her.
    I told her once I wasn’t good at anything. She told me survival is a talent
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey again Skye,

Yeah, I get that, it must be difficult to see :(

Don't worry, I've regrettably read others' messages before haha. I think it's very understandable that you're worried.

I think you're right. The best thing you can do is be there for her, but take care of yourself.

I think if up to it, telling her your concerns is definitely a good idea. And if needed remember there's always help available for her and for you <3