Home Home, Law & Money
We are writing some music with the help of a professional band! Share some small positive stories from lockdown to contribute our song over on this thread!

Wanting the age to adopt a child to be 18 or 19

Sholay09Sholay09 Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 100 The Mix convert
edited January 2019 in Home, Law & Money
Hello I am 20 nearly 21 and I have been thinking in my mind about wanting to adopt a child or wanting the age to adopt a child and other things that have a minimum age requirement of 21 or 25 to be lowered to age 18 as 18 is the adult age in this country and most other countries. I don't know why not many countries have a minimum age of 18 to adopt a child as 18 is an adult at the end of the day and we can do many things at age 18 too like become a police officer, work as a nanny I think, get married, buy cigarettes, alcohol, fireworks and many other things drive most types of vehicles, gamble and vote? I just wish that people would listen to me more and understand what I am saying too.

[moved by moderator]

Comments

• AidanAidan Potato Posts: 1,775 Postholic
    Hey Sholay,

I'm sorry that nobody has responded to you yet, it's a subject that not a lot of people know a lot about.

I think the age limit may be higher because adoption is something that requires a lot of thought and maturity, as well as financially stability and a home which is more difficult to come by at a young age. It isn't the same as becoming a parent, it's a lot more complicated legally but I couldn't go in depth about it as I'm no expert.

Sorry I can't really help, hope you're doing okay,
    Aidan
    This shit is bananas
    b - a - n - a - n - a - s
    Sholay09
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Fanatical Poster
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kasa2103Kasa2103 This Is Me! ❤👅👌🤓💃🎤 South EastPosts: 3,171 Ultimate Poster
    You have to be financially stable and have a good home with a spare bedroom which can be hard to do at age 18 or 19. I do like the idea though.
    I'm sick of covering up. I'm tired of feeling so broken.  I'm tired of falling in love. Sometimes I'm shy and I'm anxious. Sometimes I'm down on my knees. So I won't wear makeup on Thursday. Cause who I am is enough. And there are many things that I could change so slightly. But why would I succumb to something so unlike me? I was always taught to just be myself. Don't change for anyone.
    Sholay09
  • Sholay09Sholay09 Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 100 The Mix convert
    Well Meggles I have read on the internet about the minimum age to adopt a child and it still says that someone still has to be 21 or over to adopt a child.
  • LaineLaine Llama Mama Posts: 1,591 Postholic
    edited December 2018
    I do find it quite fascinating that you may have a child at a young age but can't adopt one until your much older.  But I believe it is about having that sense of maturity. Financial stability. And having enough proof of identity as there are various DBS checks etc  xo

An adopted child be also be rather vulnerable and so requires more checks and paperwork :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille
    Sholay09Past User
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Fanatical Poster
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sholay09
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 170 Super Moderator
    Hey @Sholay09

It's an interesting point you raise about the discrepancy between the legal age where you can have sex (and consequently bear a child) and the legal age for you to adopt.

My question would be, what is making you think it's so important to be able to adopt now? Rather than waiting a few years, and making sure your mind is truly made up about adoption? 

Hope you have had a peaceful holiday season. 
    Sholay09
  • AuroraAurora Part of the furniture Posts: 11,718 Part of the furniture
    According to the Gov website, (https://www.gov.uk/child-adoption) - You do have to be 21 years or older, often this is the age where people leave full time education, are able to support themselves financially and emotionally and are mature enough to go through the process of adopting. Often young children going through the adoption process have had a difficult up-bringing, are in a position that really they shouldn't be in. 

You do make a great point about the age to have sex and become pregnant and rear an adopted child, unless you've been planning on adopting since the age of 12 and are full on certain you want to adopt, people need time to think and process and go through the process of adopting a child. 

I think at the age of 18, you are still too young to deciding for certain whether or not you want to adopt a child, I know myself at that age, I was getting pissed most nights with my Uni friends. 
    I do quite half understand in what you are saying when you said that you think that 18 is still too young to know for certain when it comes to adoption Aurora but the reason why I said I would like for it to be 18 because the United Nations only consider a child to be someone under the age of 18 and also because 18 is an adult and should have all the rights and freedom of adulthood without any restrictions at all.
    There are good reasons that the adoption age is as it is, and it strikes a balance between an old age and a young age- 21 isn't 18, but it isn't 25 either.

There are freedoms and rights that come at different ages, because frankly an 18 year old won't be in as good a position to adopt as they would be if they waited until they were 21.

You become an adult at 18, but adulthood isn't a state of you either are or aren't an adult- you can become more adult. Although at 18 you're an adult, at 21 you are probably more so.

Is there a reason adoption is an problem for you at the minute, do you have anything else you want to talk about?

Take care, 
    Aidan

This shit is bananas
    Well Aidan 21 and 25 is still quite the same as we can do a lot more things at those ages. Also we become adults way before the age of 25 and I still don't get that we can do most things at age 18 but not the rest in which it does not make any sense and it is quite weird that rights and freedom even for adults comes at different ages. Also when we are adults we should not have any age restrictions applying to us anymore and we can do what we want to do with our own lives.
    Hey Sholay,

After 18, there's still a development of experience and skills and character that continues even if most of the physical development has stopped. It happens through your whole life. As someone mentioned earlier, children reliant on adoption services are often already put through a lot and are very vulnerable, so there has to be caution and services have to know a person is mature enough to make that decision and that they are willing to, and most importantly able to, follow it through in the long run. Age itself doesn't equal maturity, but I'll try and explain this later and why it can seem like it does.

Frankly, an 18 year old is less capable of thinking to the future, and foresight, and making long term decisions, than a 21 year old- even if there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in years. It's to do with the brain still developing and changing til even up to 25, and the experiences in that time making you wiser.

I hope this helps to explain the idea that although you can be an adult, there a certain things that you can be not adult enough for, and you can become more adult (although age itself has nothing to do with it, it's often to do with experience and as this takes a lot of time an older person just generally has more experience than a younger person). For this particular example (adoption) an age restriction of 21 does make more sense than 18, even if at 16 or younger you could have a child of your own- but these are different circumstances and have different aspects.

Again, it may have to with some legal aspects of adoption, but, again, I couldn't go into this as I'm no expert.

As I said before, is there a reason adoption is an problem for you at the minute and is there anything else you want to talk about? It seems there are some things that trouble you, and it might be helpful to talk them through.

It grows late so I doubt I'll reply again tonight, but take care <3

Aidan
    This shit is bananas
    Sholay09