Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Has your relationship strengthened from your sibling leaving for Uni?

AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
Image result for leaving for university cartoonHey everyone,

There was some really interesting research that was done that found that with some siblings, when their brother or sister left for Uni, their absence strengthened their relationship. Has your relationship strengthened from your sibling leaving for Uni? 

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Comments

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Yes!!!! I think it's strengthened my relationship with my big bro as firstly he grew up a bit but also I find that I appreciate him more when I don't live with him. When we're both back at home for weekends I sometimes feel childhood annoyances slipping back, so I think it helps not living together (uni or not) :grin:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    edited December 2018
    Hey Lucy thanks so much for sharing! It's lovely to hear your relationship strengthened :) 

What do you think has changed the most from not living together? 

Has anyone else felt their relationship strengthened by their sibling going to uni? or if you've gone to uni, has your relationship with your siblings changed? 
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I think it's strengthed significantly so. 

I don't think uni did it for him just more moving as a whole he's completely changed become this lovely nice brother instead of well saying mean things 😂 

It was really creepy at first for us all because it was like who is this boy?  But now it's great. 

I think the time away really strengthed it the most, don't get me wrong I always loved him but now I'm happier because hes doing so much better I look forward to seeing him and I'm sooo glad he's coming down before I leave for Christmas x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.