Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Laxative regulation in shops

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited November 2018 in Home, Law & Money

Heyy

Thiis maybe triggering if find talking about pills or medication triggering. Will try my best to keep within guidelines

So basically Wondering is if this annoys anyone else, Idk how to stop getting annoyed & how do people put their concerns out there about the law regulations or what not -  when i am basically no one. And just ranting tbh

Because just really annoys me is the fact anyone can buy laxatives and they never ask for your ID or anything and there is no restrictions on them. In supermarkets. And some people may be more at risk of using them or just anyone use them too much by accident when not nessicarly and then get dependant on them. I just dont think there is enough restriction as it is actually really damaging to the health when misuse yet can buy it how many times you like - like youre buying anything else. And i dont mean should need a doctors prescrition every time you need laxatives as some may find that embarrassing - i just think it should be more like how paracetmol is and other meds are. And where they ask for your ID - but can see how that could be embarrassing for some but shouldnt be  and id think it would pretent damaging behaviour esp in young people. And it just confuses me how it isnt more restricted 

For a few years i have read that they “may” be restricted on the news but nothing ever seems to change when they say it. 

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited November 2018
    Did you pay for them at a self check out? Or by a staff member? Because when you scan most medications it comes up where they need to ask for your ID and sometimes they just choose not to for whatever reason. And even if did - probably wouldnt let you buy lots of it. As for painkillers youre not allowed more than two boxes or something - would be illegal if did( i think) And like even at self check out for laxaitives nothing comes up no matter how much you scan it. I think asking for ID would stop some people and staff member would start recongising their faces & how much people are buying. Obviousy it cant stop all misuse but it could mimise it. 

And thank you for replying!
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited November 2018
    And also younger people are at a higher risk of abusing them so ID would defintly help. I think:). Or they could get their parents to get them if they needed them
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I do agree that ID would be helpful but i just wonder about those who don't have any form of ID on them. would they need to get a parent or older sibling to buy them?

It depends on the shop, home bargains doesn't like me buying even one box of feminex because of how young i look so need to use student ID but my antihistamines are fine.

i defo think laxetives need the same rule, and i weren't aware you could actually buy some. i've always gone to my doctors and gotten something subtle like fybogel but i weren't aware you could, defo could do with being regulated in some way

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    edited November 2018
    Hey thanks for repling Aidan and Laine

and i agree. But tbh just because it might be hard for someone of the right age and may need it - to get it - shouldnt be a less of a reason — than making people more at risk of health problems. As if people need it for actual reasons - theyd find ways to get it. Cause mis use cause some health risks are long lasting affects. Then wasting more money on the NHS for the affects

But ive been struggling with laxative abuse for awhile and really do think if they ask me for ID that would put up a lot of barriers and make me not get it as would find embarrassing anyway and hard to find ways around it if it was made more obvious about behaviours like that with local shops ect. As people do actually remember faces and start to become aware of that sort of behaviour when they need that ID. 

Though i dont blame the regulations and stuff but i still think is wrong either way

and not sure why there is a such a difference in something like Painkillers compared to laxatives. 
    edited November 2018
    Yeah and i guess soemtimes that is the case with addiction ans mis use - if its on purpose - that theyd find a different way. But a health professional actually told me things like painkillers are in a way so cant buy so much at once - because a lot of the times - if on purpose - its from impluse and once that is made hard and they get given more time to get it - the less their impluses are and the more calm they are  and they are able to think more clearly and more about the affects of what they could be doing. - if it has been made hard they would wonder why. And time is important for calming people  -  If that makes sense. And once they make that affect & calmer wont even want different way or alternative - like self harm or something. Ive actually personally experineced that with something that made it harder to get cause of Id from something OTC. Then wouldnt get addicted in first place

Ive read a lot of views around it and still think is wrong. I just dont get how i can vioce my opinions about it ah
    Ah yeah i see what you mean. Thanks Aidan for replying with thoughts. 

Though i still think asking for ID for laxatives has lots of positives aspects that outway the negative. Ah

but yeah the laws stuff can be shit &  dont think anyone would listen to me 
    Hi. Has anyone wrote a petition before. I’ve found some on this but they all stop awhile ago. 

I still abuse laxatives so ive read up about it and many people have died from it and so upsetting to read 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 anorexia is the most fatal mental illness and laxatives have 0 restriction on it just upsets me and confused on why it’s not like paracetmol
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Shaunie!
    I've not made one before but it's pretty straightforward to do :)

I do think there should be a regulation on buying them maybe limiting it like they do paracetamol? Laxatives should only be used for a few days before going to a doctor if they haven't worked so people don't need more than one anyway?

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld