Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Emotional drawings thread (HEAVY TRIGGER WARNING: READ FIRST)

LabraBellLabraBell Posts: 203 Trailblazer
edited November 2018 in Creative Corner
Not going to post a drawing straight away because I want anyone looking to see what I've written here first, before seeing any drawings.

I'm going to post some of my recent drawings here, a comment at a time, and you're welcome to add some of your own. 

I make these drawings as a way to pour out the emotion inside of me, so many of them are going to touch on sensitive, triggering subjects, This is why I've put a heavy trigger warning on the start.  I have an unfortunate (Or fortunate I suppose. Depends how you look at it) talent, which allows me to put a large amount of my own emotions into drawings. While this is a good thing for keeping my own emotions at bay, some of my drawings have a tendency to stir a lot of thoughts and feelings in other people. It's like I'm sharing my emotions with people; and that worries me sometimes because I tend to feel like I have so much of the stuff that it'll overpower others :sweat_smile: 

Things I draw will touch on both subjects I've experienced myself, and subjects I've witnessed others experience. The two drawings I have so far touch on Eating disorders and Depression respectively. There's a chance I'll touch on self-harm, mental health, depression, suicide, behavioural disorders, etc etc as I post more, so consider yourself severely warned. Some of these images will have a pretty high trigger risk, so please don't go any further if you think what I'm drawing will hurt you. I don't want to hurt you :cry:

I'll put the necessary trigger warnings on each comment anyway, and if I can get the spoiler option to work (I've had trouble with it in the past) Then I'll use that too. 

-------
The trigger warnings on this thread will vary in intensity by each comment. Therefore I'll be adding a RAG (Red/Amber/Green) rating to each image, to better explain the intensity of what you're going to see.

Red: High trigger chance. This includes drawings that are about highly sensitive subjects, such as suicide or self-harm, and may explicitly show an aspect of it. 

Amber: Moderate trigger chance. This will include drawings about highly sensitive subjects but with little detail, or less sensitive subjects with a lot of detail. 

Green: Low trigger chance. This is for drawings that still have a chance of triggering, but are much less likely to do so than Amber or Red. These drawings are usually about subjects that are less sensitive than others, but still can trigger. This could include eating disorders, isolation, general sadness, etc.

No warning: The drawing is generally safe to view, because it is about a general subject that is too vague to trigger. 

-----
What do you mean I have to think of an intelligent signature?
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• LabraBellLabraBell Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    Not going to TW this one. It's a pretty generalised drawing about depression. 

Funny story, I was originally intending to draw an anime character when I drew this. I made a really simple design, gave up and started scribbling on it just 'cause. And then i saw potential in it and came up with this. It's also the fastest drawing I've ever done and not trashed; taking only 15 minutes total.
    edited November 2018
    Trigger warning here for EDs. While I havent had an issue with this side of EDs myself (I'm on the other side of the scale, pun intended, and really DO need to lose weight), I've seen the issue quite a lot and know a lot of people struggle with the thought that they are overweight when they aren't as bad as they think.

Trigger Intensity: Green

Post edited by TheMix on
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited November 2018
    Hey. These are great! :). Im thinking that probably as long as you dont show methods of self harm or suicide would probably be okay (?). I don’t know

But Look forward to seein others:). Totally want to draw something else myself but lacking motivation and concentration but will post if i do 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited November 2018
    Heh, thanks for that Shaunie. I got to use the new Insightful option now :)

Thank you also for the compliment. I don't often receive compliments when I show people in person because my younger sister outshines my drawings by miles lol

As for the methods thing, there are some drawing ideas I have that wouldn't specifically show the methods for self harm, but that concept would be insinuated. 

When I say concepts:
    I mean such as an image of an empty pill packet. That could be talking about antidepressants, need to take pills overall, sleeping tablets, etc, but no one would know. It would be up to the person who sees it.

Or an idea I'm going to draw in a bit, about a person on a computer, telling someone that they don't deserve to die, shouldn't commit etc, but they would have antidepressant pills, or a lot of alcohol, or something like that that would insinuate that they aren't practicing what they preach.

^Of course that one is a bit more graphic, so I'll have to think on how to work it. But you get the idea.

[tweaked by moderator]

Naturally I'm going to be adding spoilers and trigger warnings where they're needed (Like here^), and explicitly stating what is going to be found on the image, so it's really up to the person looking to judge whether or not they should see it. I'm considering adding a RAG rating on each trigger, so that drawings with a higher trigger chance would be classed as red, and would explain to people more than just "Trigger warning" 

In fact I'm going to ask staff to edit a bit about it onto the bottom of the thread now, so keep an eye out lol

Glad you're looking forwards to more drawings though. It's quite inspiring to know that they're being enjoyed. 

I rarely have the motivation or concentration to draw either. So when I do, I end up getting 3 or 4 drawings done in a day usually :sweat_smile: 

Post edited by JustV on