Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Balancing work and study

JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
Hi,

So I have a part time job and am doing a full time college course, but I am finding it difficult to cope with both. I had agorophobia until last year, and I have BPD and PTSD as well... so stress can make me quite unwell. My medication has been doubled as things are tough right now.... and I ended up having to call in sick to work for two days because i got so stressed i was throwing up 4 days in a row which my doctor said was due to stress an anxiety. The problem is I had previously tried to swap the shift so my manager thinks I just rang in sick because I wanted the time off.... but was genuinely ill. They did a "recorded conversation" which is like a warning which goes on my disciplinary record. I cried during this as was so upset. I said I would get evidence from my doctor but she said it was not necessary, but clearly it is because she doesnt believe me and i dont want a discipline on my records. I dont know whether to just quit my job now while i still have it rather than be fired.... or quit college... but thats my future, Im doing access to nursing. Or maybe I should quit both and just focus on getting better. I am really worried and dont know what to do. I feel like im doing to much and its making me ill, physically as well as mentally. I keep getting chest infections and colds as well. 
The sun will rise and we will try again 

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited September 2023
    Heyy Jelly <3

( im so sorry this ended up really longgg. So sorry if not helpful)

Sorry youre struggling so much. Sound like a lott. :(<3 glad youre seeking support

I can hear how hard it is to know what to proritise for yourself and how things are stressful. And hard to know if you make the right  healthy decisions & i do think that your mental health comes first but do you think dropping out of both work and study to try to focus on getting better - may actually have the reverse affect - with all the time to spare and not really having anything to do. Although may not feel like it - it sounds like you have come really far. 

But obviosuly something needs to change either way - as massively affecting you physically as well as mental:(So need to focus on whats more important to you & your aims or maybe find things to make things less stressful. Have you thought about going to your gp & getting a sick note to ask for time away from work so you can have some more time to self care and more time for activites you wanna do. Ive had a few weeks off work before for my mental health so maybe could try that?  

It does sound like work could be more supportive :( Do you know why or what things cause your more stressed at work? — cause Have you heard of a Wellness Action Plan? I have not use this myself but only read about it. But says under equality act - work places should make adjudments to your needs. Like maybe having more breaks if getting anxious or going into work at different time so dont get rush hour. And appaerently if you fill out a Wellness action plan - you can show this to your manager and they can work on it with you.https://www.mind.org.uk/workplace/mental-health-at-work/taking-care-of-your-staff/employer-resources/wellness-action-plan-download/ This site says about it more (you can click on the guide and then they email the plan to you with some info)

I was off work recently for my mental health and i was given a leaflet about retailEAP - apperently uk based which offer free couselling and i only work in retail Maybe could search if have something similar or find out — if intrested in that?

For your college corse, i think you should keep seeking help. There should be some more supoort you could get. Even if that is getting extentions for some college assigment  work and focusing on one peice of work / studying at a time so not over whelming & setting your self realistic goals

Do you have any ways to cope with stress that work - mindfullness, meditation ect?  I think so important to look after yurself and do more activites you enjoy to ease some stress & also hope you dont neglect other parts of your life with all this going on like eating and getting enough sleep. 

Sorry if not helpful. But hope youre okay
    X
    Post edited by JustV on
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey there @Jellyelephant .

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time lately, it definitely sounds like you're having to deal with a lot on your plate all at once. I can't really say whether you should outright quit your job or college but if it's what you feel is best for you then that's your decision. Just to echo what @Shaunie said talking to your GP about time off might be an option too.

I'm glad you felt able to talk about your issues here on the boards and I was wondering if you have anyone in your life you feel you can talk to about what you're dealing with. For example is there a counsellor at your college who can help you decide what you want to do? Somebody like that might have more options and advice available for you so it might be worth a try if it's something you feel comfortable with.

I hope this helps and be sure to keep us all updated with how you're getting on or if anything in your situation changes! :)

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.