Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Books suggestions please!

Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
edited January 2023 in General Chat
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Heey!

Without hesitation I recommend you In Search of Lost Time: The Way by Swann's Volume 1 by Marcel Proust. Though a little difficult to begin with, Proust’s serpentine seven volume novel, In Search of Lost Time, is arguably the greatest ever written and indisputably one of the masterpieces of world literature. Translated from French, Proust's wonderful novel was written in 1913 and is evocatively poetical in style making the book an enthralling read, one which I will probably return to many times.

I also suggest the Classics, here are some favourites of mine: Rudyard Kipling, Mark Twain, Jules Verne, Charles Dickens - his books perfect for winter reading; Lewis Carrol, Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott, Frances H Burnett, Anne Brontë and my current love being The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón whose the opening paragraph of Chapter One 'The Cemetary of Forgotten Books' had me hooked:

"I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetary of Forgotten Books for the first time. It was the early summer of 1945, and we walked through the streets of Barcelona trapped beneath ashen skies as dawn poured over the Rambla de Santa Mònica in a wreath of liquid copper".

WOW. Just. Wow - I am unable to put the book down!

To make your bookworming much cheaper, get an amazon account and buy their out of print books for as low as 1p and pay postage, or go to www.abebooks.co.uk for the same, where they state what condition the books are in. Aunty's latest bargain from amazon was The Renaissance of Italian Cooking by Lorenza De'Medici, a beautifully illustrated cookbook with glorious colour photos and I only paid £1 + postage of £3.75 as a pressie for her, and another by Leslie Forbes, A Table in Provence for little more. If Lorenza's book could still be bought, it could cost as much as £50

Other than mainstream books and classics, my other genre is LBGT fiction of which a great favourite was When The River Flows Out Of Its Bed by Gaëlle Cathy. I've been reading another of her's, One Breath at a Time, but lesbian fiction may not be to your liking.

You don't need to buy an ebook, for amazon will give an app for your phone to read ebooks on. Though reading a real book for the love of paper in one's hand is very lovely, books will stack up to the point where one has no more room. Therefore a Kindle ebook reader means carrying virtually a whole library in one's bag. In our country house is a library of books and already are stacking up on the floor. This is why ebooks are so useful.

Wishing you all the best,

Belle
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey @Meggles

You should definitely read The Girl on The Train, that book was so good I couldn't put it down! I also recently read a book called Brain on Fire which was really good too, I think they've made it into a movie now.

I'd also recommend The Light Between the Oceans and Behind Closed Doors!

All the best,

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster

Here are some I enjoy no matter how many times I read them-

Artemis Fowl 
    The knife of never letting go
    House of Leaves
    Kafka short stories
    Tokyo Ghoul (Manga)
    Fahrenheit 451

Whats your favourite book? :) 

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    I'm reading a great book, a real page turner called Sycamore Row by John Grisham.

Also a lovely book described as 'Finding joy in every day and letting go of perfect' called Happy by Fearne Cotton.

Prior to the above I read Working with Anger and Young People by Nick Luxmore. I loved reading his stuff, helping me help Sophie through her difficult times. I found Nick Luxmore's book nice and easy to read and Sophie was helped enormously. :)

Sophie read a lovely book by James Patterson called Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports. It was first published in 2008 and still reads good. She's read other books by that author and enjoyed every one of them.

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Aife said:
    Hey @Meggles

You should definitely read The Girl on The Train, that book was so good I couldn't put it down! I also recently read a book called Brain on Fire which was  really good too, I think they've made it into a movie now.

I'd also recommend The Light Between the Oceans and Behind Closed Doors!

All the best,

- Aife
    Id also recommend Behind Closed Doors. Was the last one i read.

I liked the Girl on The Train book too. I wouldnt recommend the film though - watched that after. -was so slow and boring
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan is a beautiful tender book, flawlessly written capturing my heart, my whole emotions. It's a charming story of self-discovery which I totally recommend. The book received Richard & Judy Reader's Award and is a Sundaty Times best seller. :)

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    How about Sister Sister by Jess Bright? I have read it before. It is about 2 girls who never realised that they are sisters. However, one of the sisters has aplastic anemia. Nobody except her sister is a close match for a bone marrow transplant. But a fear of needles has got into the way. Can she conquer her fear or will she let her sister die? It was impossible to put down.

Overall, I would rate this 6 out of 5 stars.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
     Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine -  by Gail Honeyman
    I find hard to like any book. But i really like this one. 

Really recommend🙂

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    A literary classic: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

This book has everything. It's thought provoking, nostalgic, humorous, charming,...Stephen Chbosky changed how I see life, how I see myself and others. My fiancée read it and wowed as did our youngster Peggy who now has her own treasured copy.

Not recommending as only read a few pages. 

But has anyone read this?

looks quite good anyway
    Shaunie said:
    Not recommending as only read a few pages. 

But has anyone read this?

looks quite good anyway
    Dont recommend. Kinda boring
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
  • ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    Guilty Feminist - by Deborah Frances-White. 

Funny, plus gives a really easy to follow overview of the history of feminism.  If your not into reading, check out her podcast!  So funny :) 

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    The Hate You Give.
    The one where crow is sailed in a box and that man rescues and looks after her.

"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    I want to read Thin but not sure if that would be triggering or not
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Just about to start this so will let you know how it goes 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    If you're into horror, I recently finished The Good House by Tananarive Due. Truly, truly chilling. It's one of those books you can't put down once you get going.
  • SkyeIsNotTheLimitSkyeIsNotTheLimit Posts: 86 Budding Regular
    One Day is a wonderful book, waaaaay better than the shoddy film  :)
    I told her once I wasn’t good at anything. She told me survival is a talent
  • MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood!
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    I've just finished reading This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay. It was so good! Has anyone else read it? 
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What's this book about @Shaunie
    GreenTea said:
    What's this book about @Shaunie
    The girl looks in peoples eyes and sees numbers. And it is their death date. I've only read like 5 pages lol. But it seems good. My dad brought it for me cause he liked it and thinks i will
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    I read 'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine' a while ago and I keep re-reading it because it was so good! Has anyone else read it?
    Alis propriis volat 
    I read 'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine' a while ago and I keep re-reading it because it was so good! Has anyone else read it?

I have it. Yet to read it though
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @GreenTea You should read it, it's great! 
    Alis propriis volat 
    I'm going to start it soon @MountainPeak