Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Struggling with anxiety

Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
Hiya Guys,

ive been really struggling with my anxiety over this week since starting college and I’m finding it really difficult to settle in.
my anxiety just seems to be the highest it’s ever been right now and I’m just so overwhelmed with everything especially since my mum told me that’s she’s currently going through the process of reporting Sexual abuse from when she’s was 13 - she’s just waiting to hear back from the CPS.

i just don’t know what to do anymore everything’s just so overwhelming and too much I just can’t cope anymore. At times i just sit in my room and scream as everything just - I don’t even know how I feel anymore like I don’t be mean to sound selfish but why does everything have to happen at once like starting college and Mum telling me that last week. I just want to cry all the time , like today I had a panic attack when I was just sat in G25 in college - no one wasn’t in the room it was litreally me and the learning support assistant that was on duty 

Everything just seems like an endlessness Uphill battle !! 
Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.

Comments

• EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Its okay to feel like this, you've just started something new that you find difficult plus everything at home. Its understandable that you are feeling overwhelmed right now. 

Try to focus on one thing at a time, even if its just something like eating lunch or doing one page of homework. Splitting all those tasks you have up into bite-sized chunks can really help you focus and get though them. 

Are you talking to your mum about what she is going though? Its very brave of her to report something from long ago, it means she has found courage and feels ready to face this challenge. She's doing something good even though it might be hard on her to recall negative events from when she was 13. 

You can get though this, try to find small bits of time to relax, the trip to and from collage or when you are just about to go to bed. 

Let us know how you are getting along with all this,
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert

Hi there,

It is understandable you are feeling overwhelmed by everything. And everything is getting to much that you are struggling to cope.

Like Eyepatch said take things one step at a time. and try speaking to someone like your mum or someone else. Your mum is making a brave step. Or maybe that learning support assistant that maybe saw you crying in the room- THis will help be a release of emotion.

Keep going,

IN_me

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    @Eyepatch @Invisible_me Thank you  both - it’s quite difficult to talk to my mum about things and the Sexual abuse stuff for a variety of different reasons 
    i think I’ll probs talk to whichever LSA is on duty in G25 when I’m in there in my free - i might not mention the Mum stuff to them but maybe the not settling in and everything else that’s getting in top for me 

CAMHS want me to start a 6 week CBT course on Wednesday but I don’t think I’ll be able to go in the room and it’s a group of us and i can’t sit in groups like in college I sit on a table by myself 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
    @Eyepatch @Invisible_me Thank you  both - it’s quite difficult to talk to my mum about things and the Sexual abuse stuff for a variety of different reasons 
    i think I’ll probs talk to whichever LSA is on duty in G25 when I’m in there in my free - i might not mention the Mum stuff to them but maybe the not settling in and everything else that’s getting in top for me 

CAMHS want me to start a 6 week CBT course on Wednesday but I don’t think I’ll be able to go in the room and it’s a group of us and i can’t sit in groups like in college I sit on a table by myself 

Hi there,

Ok- that sounds like a good idea, speak to them, that's fine mention what you feel comfortable with.

Group sessions are hard. I had a 1-2-1 session and that was very useful. Mention your anxiety on it see what they say.

Take care,

Hi there,

Ok- that sounds like a good idea, speak to them, that's fine mention what you feel comfortable with.

Group sessions are hard. I had a 1-2-1 session and that was very useful. Mention your anxiety on it see what they say.

Take care,

@invi@Invisible_me There 6 weeks of group therapy desinged for those with anxiety and/or depression i dont really want to do it but bassically if it gets me any type of help sooner - ill just try anything
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand

Hi there,

Take care,

@invi@Invisible_me There 6 weeks of group therapy desinged for those with anxiety and/or depression i dont really want to do it but bassically if it gets me any type of help sooner - ill just try anything
    Have you started the CBT yet? I hope everything is going well for you  <3
    @TheAprilFool I started it last week , it’s annoying that I’ve already done most of it but I’ve made some new friends and I laughed more with them than I’ve ever laughed before - for 20 minutes of that group I was happier than I’ve ever been before- for that 20 minutes I felt all my problems had dissapered , that nothing was wrong and that for once in my life I felt like I belonged.
    everything else is still a uphill battle but I’ll get there , hopefully thing will get better but I know I’m gonna have utter shit days and good days x
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @TheAprilFool I started it last week , it’s annoying that I’ve already done most of it but I’ve made some new friends and I laughed more with them than I’ve ever laughed before - for 20 minutes of that group I was happier than I’ve ever been before- for that 20 minutes I felt all my problems had dissapered , that nothing was wrong and that for once in my life I felt like I belonged.
    everything else is still a uphill battle but I’ll get there , hopefully thing will get better but I know I’m gonna have utter shit days and good days x
    I'm glad to hear that it went well. There will always be bad days, but at least you now have more people who can support you through them.  <3
    Hi Guys -

things are still ultra difficult for me at the moment - My Anxiety is still Being a pain - I missed last weeks session of CBT becasue I couldn’t get there but I’ve got it’s again this week  , Mum and Dad are constantly arguing - I sometimes think things would be better if it was just me and my mum . I love my mum and she loves me but I feel like my dad just doesn’t make time for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hi Guys -

things are still ultra difficult for me at the moment - My Anxiety is still Being a pain - I missed last weeks session of CBT becasue I couldn’t get there but I’ve got it’s again this week  , Mum and Dad are constantly arguing - I sometimes think things would be better if it was just me and my mum . I love my mum and she loves me but I feel like my dad just doesn’t make time for me.
    Hey @Millie2787 I just want to tell you that you are in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

Love,
    Mandy <3
    Thank you @floxy you know how much that means to me 💖
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I hope your CBT is helping a bit <3 Glad youre getting support. Im also on a 6 week group therapy but only have one session left but its really anxiety provoking just going to it, so think youre doing well!
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Thank you @floxy you know how much that means to me 💖
    You're never far from my heart ((HUGS)) Prayer is strong, @Millie2787 and you will get through this coming week, I know.  <3
    Shaunie said:
    I hope your CBT is helping a bit <3 Glad youre getting support. Im also on a 6 week group therapy but only have one session left but its really anxiety provoking just going to it, so think youre doing well!
    @shauine hmm im not sure as ive already completed the anxiety half of the course previously and its the same for me its very hard going as theres 12 is of us in the group so for many of us it takes a good 10/15 minutes for us all to get in the room
    but ive just got to push on 
    hope your doing ok x
    @shauine hmm im not sure as ive already completed the anxiety half of the course previously and its the same for me its very hard going as theres 12 is of us in the group so for many of us it takes a good 10/15 minutes for us all to get in the room
    but ive just got to push on 
    hope your doing ok x
    Was your other anxiety course in a group? Maybe even being able to relate to what others say and knowing youre not alone is helping? And learning about how other cope too?

Ah oh 12 is a lot! The group i go to, did have 8 to start but now is like 4 as half dont come anymore :/

keep talking to us if is helping. geuinerly care and wanna help <3

X
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    @Shauine it was , it was a serivce set up in my lcoal area last year as a sservice to prevent refferals to CAMHS by proving groups - The CAMHSgroup is litreally based on that group i did back in december - But i got told if i didnt go then i would be dishcagred from CAMHS
    edited October 2018
    well after todays session i am no longer doing the CBT group 
    I hadnt done the home activity of doing a postive activtiy and the psycolgist whos part of the team delivering it asked weather i hadnt done it becasue i just didnt or weather im frustrated with the group

i bassically had a whole massive rant at the psycolgist about how annoyed i was ghat its been nearly 6 months onthe waiting list and to only go and be put in a group that ove done before and she bassically said she uderstnads my frustration and that i dont neeed to ome to the rest of them and that my postion in the waiting list wont be affecting - ill be put back on in the right place but she was also suprised that ive been on the waiting list nealry 6 months ! 

im due to have a 15 minute assessment appoitment with the college councellor but unsure on how long the waiting list will be for the appoimtent
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Millie2787

Hope you're doing OK after the CBT group today. First off it's amazing to see how many people in the Mix community have been here to support and talk to you. 

When is the 15 minute assessment appointment with the college counsellor meant to be? What are you hoping to talk to them about?? (I ask the question only because it's good to go into these sorts of meetings with a clear agenda as to what you hope to get out of it.) 

And before I say goodbye, I was just wondering whether you've tried mindful meditation before? You say in your previous messages that sometimes there seems to be e little too much all going on at once. Meditation is a practice that teaches you to focus on just one thing at a time, so it might be useful for you? 

Anyway, hope this might be useful and just remember we all care about you a lot! :) 

edited October 2018
    Hey. 

Understand the frustation. But to be honest waiting nearly 6 months isnt as bad as could be. I waited 12 months ( or i think maybe more) to be put in the group i am in now when i was in crisis nearly all the time. But 6 months, 12 months is all so bad and a very long time when youre struggling. But understand is hard and dont wanna sound like am minising it but i just mean that youre not alone & is great youre getting any support now as some people are offered none.  All can be abit shit

hope the assessment goes okay
    Hey @Millie2787 I wondered if at home you could make a sensory room? Transform a room to relax and chill in, scattering cusions on the floor or bean bags, and have a large pot with a house plant or two in it. Go there when you or Mum feel stressed.

Have a diffuser using a few drops of essential oil. These diffusers are cheap enough, cost barely a tenner from a.mazon. They can be easilyrecharged via usb. Since you mentioned wanting to decorate your room, perhaps muted colours would be nicer to relax in. We have such a room in hour hotel, called Quiet Room. Wals have been painted ivory and cream in dead flat emulsion paint. It's got books and magazines to read, a few bean bags and music if guests want it. So far it's been very popular so it could work for you, Hon. :)
    It sounds amazing @floxy butt unfortunately we don’t have a spare room that I could use 

@shauine  @Floxy @jamjar    i had the counselling assessment with Mark the in college one today and he said from what I’ve said I’ll definitely be seen but there’s a waiting list of about 4-6 weeks at the moment so I’m about the 16 person on the list but will all depend on my timetable and when either Him or Steve ( The woman only works on the days I’m not inn 😭) have a free session that fits in with my timebale so it could be sooner than that or abit ter than that .
    They say 6 sessions max but if they still feel and that’s i show I still need support that it will be extended and that The door what just be shut  on me after I’ve had the 6 sessions if they feel I need longer than they can extend that 

but Mark seems lovley and from what he said so is Steve

the Counselling room is a room situated in student serivces - there’s many room in there so no one know which one to going to - it’s a good plain room with two seat opposite teach other a little table inbtween Im tissues and a jug of water snd in the corner is the desk with the computer on and a book self with a few books - hopefully this should Be a calm environment for me and it dosent overload my senses 

l
    Before embarking on the real sessions, however long long you have to wait, remember these tips.

1. Immediately after your first session, stay alone and try not to engage in conversation. This is to assimilate what the counsellor will have advised. Listen to soothing music (such as classical) through earphones, so to keep your mind in a calm state. You may need to apply this after each subsequent session. It's what I didn't do, and should have, so I'm just passing this advice on! It would be good to warn mumma bear about this. I'm sure she'll understand. :)

2. each session will be exhausting, so don't be too quick to book the next one. I'd allow a fortnight between each session but it's up to you.

Lots of love,
    Mandy

Sounds kinda hopeful &  postive @Millie2787 Hope you dont have to wait too long and that you find it helpful. Think floxy has shared some good advice
    We are all here for you aswell. But wish I could help more. 
    X
    SO update ,

things have been so hard these these past few weeks especially with missing my nans - had a couple of times where I’ve just been sent home from college becasue I was so emotional 

college have offered for me to do the blue programme but it’s turns out It’s being run on a Tuesday which is a placement day so I won’t bé able to do that and god knows how long it’s going to bé with CAMHS 
    Can you ask to see your GP again? Something has to be doe even if it's a prescribed short course of medicine as below.

My insomnia was cured thanks to my doctor prescriping a short couser of Zopiclone. After the course I felt  able to sleep naturally and much of my anxiety has gone.

Your Mum could hand you a tablet befor bedtime, so to be on the safe side. That sleeper has made a remarkable difference to my life.

Love you buddy,
    Mandy

@floxy they won’t prescribe me anything - my slee isn’t to bad st the moment and they won’t prescribe antidepressants it’s only really CAMHS who can prescribe somthing for my mood

might try and get on for Friday when I’ve got a TED
    Sounds promising. I'll be praying for you for then. :) So in the meantime stand on CAMHS and don't let up on them. Shout loudest - get most attention. (But it shouldn't have to be like that!)

Zopiclone is for help with sleeping. It is not an antidespressant, though it is highly addictive which is why only short courses are prescribed by GPs or possibly by a CAMHS, but still ask. No harm in asking, Honey. :)

Mandy 💖

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Hey everyone,

Not going to weigh in on this discussion too much as there's a lot of great conversation happening already.

Just wanted to drop in a gentle reminder that only a medical professional can tell you what medication you should be taking. Making suggestions and sharing personal experiences is okay, but it's always best to check with a GP before following advice you receive online. Pretty sure you all know this, but thought I'd mention it for the record. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Hi @floxy and @mike I went to the docotrs this morning before placement and spoke to him about feeing quiet tired and sick and just having now energy and I’ve got to go back for a blood test next week to check my iron levels , that I’m not diabetic and other things like my thyroid to check it’s not under or overactive he also confirmed my belief that becasue I’m under 18 he’s unable to prescribe Antidepressants hence the reason I’ve been referred into CAMHS 

aimee 
    Thanks for updating me, sweetheart.