Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni on crutches

starfish_17starfish_17 Posts: 226 Trailblazer
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey, i really need some reassurance here. 

Last week i injured my foot but didn't quite know how bad it was. Yesterday i was in hospital and after many x rays and CT scans the surgeon told me i have broken my foot in 2 places. I am in a air-cast boot and on crutches which i have to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks and then go back to a hospital to see how i have healed and whether i need surgery or go straight into physio and start walking on it again. 

I was scared for uni before this and now i am going to be on crutches and im really scared that i will be judged and not make friends easily because i wont be able to go out with people or do many activities. Also scared for doing shopping, laundry etc, 

Does anyone have any advice or tips that could make things easier for me?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• LabraBellLabraBell Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    Just a forewarning: I'm going to say this bluntly, and not sugar coat it. I don't believe in beating about the bush, sorry.

Trust me when I say you'll be fine. If people are going to judge you for something you have NO control over, then they don't deserve to have you in their life anyway. Someone who judges you for that won't ever be the kind of friend that's important.

You will find a friend. I'm sure of it. I felt exactly the same as you did when I went into college last year. Most of the students had been there for a long time, coming from level 1 and 2, so I was one of the least experienced. I thought I'd be left out because of my being one of the youngest, because of my being overweight and extremely unfit, because I was quiet and different and didn't really like to talk to anyone.

And now, a year later, I have the respect of everyone in my class. One person noticed me, even while I was standing in the shadows, and started encouraging me to smile, to cheer up. Started talking to me, being around me, etc etc. I was accepted into his friend group (even though I don't speak their first language) and I'm now close friends with him. I'm growing feelings for him as more than just a friend, and I'm 90% sure he feels the same.

It's inevitable that you'll find at least one person to respect you. Particularly since you're in uni. You're going to be in lectures and classes (Do classes even exist in uni?) with other people, all of whom have CHOSEN to be there. You already have one thing in common with all of them. 

You'll be alright, I believe in you. And even if by some rare chance you don't end up making a friend, well, you at least have your friends right here! :)

Besides that, regarding shopping:
    Maybe it's a good idea to bring one of those "granny bags" with you? the ones that you can pull on wheels? At least then you would struggle a little less with holding items as well as moving. Alternatively you could shop online, and get things delivered to you. That way you don't have to worry about getting to the shop and back, and getting all the items. Plus I believe the people who deliver can bring it into the house for you if you can't get it there yourself. 
    What do you mean I have to think of an intelligent signature?
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey Esme,

So sorry to hear about what's happened! People at uni will understand if you can't come out with them, given that you're carrying an injury. Ask your hallmates for help with things, or you could even ask the uni to have someone help you out while you recover. You're not alone in this - ask for help, and you shall receive :)

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Many people at uni will be curious about how you broke your foot, turning the story into something funny can help lighten the mood and show that you are a fun friend to hang out with. I had a large bandage on my face at one point and used to joke that I got it in an all-out battle with Cuthulu. Or you could always go with the classic 'you should see the other guy' then laugh and explain how it was broken (or say you don't want to talk about it, thats fine too) 

People at uni are mostly polite and will hold open doors or let you pass because they see you are on crutches. Sometimes it can be embarrassing but it can also be helpful. 

For shopping you can order online and ask the delivery person if they can carry it inside, they are eager to do a good job and get good reviews so usually don't mind helping. As for activities, you could always look at clubs that watch movies, do crafts or play games, as you wouldn't have to move around a lot. If you can stand without crutches for a while then archery might be possible, darts or maybe table tennis or pool. 

If you can, how about asking some people in your class to decorate your cast with you? You could cover it with stickers together. Someone I knew had a brace, air-cast boot and crutches yet still managed to perform amazedly as Lady Macbeth in my drama class. Im sure you can still make friends :) 

Let us know how it goes :) 

P.s- Ive been told air cast boots can feel cold, so you might want to buy a thick pair of socks to keep your foot warm :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • starfish_17starfish_17 Posts: 226 Trailblazer
    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply! I moved into my room yesterday and spent the day trying to make my room pretty! (Very hard when you can hardly walk). It has been okay so far! Weird saying bye to my dad but it hasn't sunk in yet that i am actually on my own. That will be in a couple days time!

The amount of times i have been asked what happened and how my foot is already is a joke and i have only been at the uni about 15 hours and 10 of that i was asleep! My dad did a massive shop for me yesterday before he left and so i have a big box under my desk with tins etc in so that should last me quite a while and then a girl i have met has said she will get any fresh stuff i need when she goes shopping. 

Dont worry. I have lots of thick socks haha. Thanks for taking the time to write to me! 

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    edited September 2018
    Hey Esme,

It's great to hear things are going okay so far. Starting uni for the first time can be so scary and I can't imagine how you must have felt having found out your foot was broken. It's really nice that the girl you met has offered to get you some stuff from the shop when she goes. Maybe she can help you with your laundry too. :) 

You mentioned you were feeling scared about being judged for not being able to go out or join in many activities. How are you feeling about that now? 

Hope things went well today too <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
    Hey @Aife !!

Im not feeling too bad about being judged anymore but i still dont like going out anymore than i need to just in case. We had a practical to get to know people yesterday which i couldnt do but the group i was in helped and made me feel included which was nice! 
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Aw that's really nice Esme! Keep us updated with how things are going! I hope you enjoy the rest of your first week :) 
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey @Esme17 How are things with you at uni? Settled in yet and how's your foot?
    Hi @Floxy

Things are going good so far at uni thanks! It feels quite strange being away from home and when i dont have anything on i do miss home alot but apart from that im good!

My foot is okay. A little bit sore but not too bad. I have an appointment around the 17th to find out if i need to stay on crutches or if im all good. 
    I'm sure that once you get settled in to uni that your courses will get underway and you will begin meeting some really nice people. Universities always have good refectories, and serve up delicious food which is quite reaonable, so am told.  Do you have a roomie?

I hope your appoinment on the 17th goes well. These accidents will happen, but as we get on in life it all adds up to Life Experience in which we become strengthened through adversity. I look back to see how far I've come and the new friends I've made and also, gotten closer to family who I never really knew, ones living in southern Ireland.

I'm sure you'll also find some good university socials and might even find an outdoors club. Keep in touch! =)
    Hey @Esme17 how are you? Has your plaster cast come off yet?

How are you managing at uni, too?
    Hey I’m good. How are you? @Floxy

Im off the crutches and out of the boot now which is so so good cause it means I can walk around and actually do things! Uni is so much easier without the crutches so it’s going good. I am really missing home though and can’t wait to go back at Christmas which seems like ages away. 
    I bet you can't @Esme17
    Good your cast/boot is off and the crutches gone.

I have cellulitis again, but staying at home this time and on a high flucloxaccilln dose. By Thurday  I hope to be going home.

You must miss home so sadly. I feel the same not being at East Dean, but time flies when you're busy, Esme and before you know it, going home for Christmas will be joyful. I will pray for you.

While I remember, Sophie and I are marrying 1st December in a civil partnership. Should have married her long ago, such a sweetie she is.

I'm pleased you sound so upbeat. I wish you much happiness.

Floxyx