Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Starting Uni. Please help!!

starfish_17starfish_17 Posts: 226 Trailblazer
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello! 
I was wondering if anyone had some advice that could help me. 
I am starting university in three weeks and I am super super scared. I wasn’t sure if it was something I wanted to do so I took a gap year and then decided to apply and go this year. In some ways I am really excited (making my room pretty, meeting new people, starting my course) but I am also terrified about starting as well. I don’t know how I am going to cope with cooking and doing my own laundry and I am scared that I won’t make friends and will miss home lots and wont know who to turn to for help. 
Its all started to get really real now with getting things ready and packing them into the boxes and I keep crying every time I think about starting uni. I get upset about missing out on things back home and I won’t see my friends or family for ages.
Is it normal to feel this upset and scared? Is there anything I can do to help me calm down about starting uni and not feel as anxious and stressed as I am now. I don’t want to feel like this for another three weeks ☹

Sorry it was so long, Thanks in advance for any advice.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert

Hello There,

Firstly I completely sympathise with the way your feeling and it Is ever so understandable. Going to uni can be challenge as well as exciting. I started uni last year and never the less was so the same, I never thought of going to uni but ended up going and was a complete nightmare to say the least.

Your staying away from home which is an extra challenge, but will give you so much independence and many more opportunities.

- Before you leave schedule some weekends where you'll come back (start off regularly then make the gaps longer gradulally as you feel.

- Make your room YOURS, take as much from your current room. Maybe have a look at someof the accomdation pic so you know what your in for.

- With regards to feeling homesick, somewhat this is natural. Don't forget you can always call them and look up some tips to help. (I'm sure theMix must have something).

- Find out about student support at your uni, so you know who you could talk to...

Hope this helps for now. Take care, best wishes x

• starfish_17starfish_17 Posts: 226 Trailblazer
    Thanks for your comment. I have brought loads of decorations etc for my room already to try and make it as cosy as i can. That's about as prepared as i am at the moment!

Hi.

Your welcome. That's good. I'm conscious you've said you've brought? Is there anything you've already got you could take to make it more cosier?

When are you due to move in. It's good if you could move in before you start uni so you have time to settle in before you start uni.

That's atleast a step forward. Maybe you could now get your worries and using the strategies I've given (few) and anything else you could come up with your own and write them in like a strategy sheet or something, so you've got things planned out. I don't know, I FInd having some of my strategies written down on one sheet helpful.

Best wishes,

IN_me

Hey.

Im taking a couple of blankets and my teddies and then ill probably take photos from home to pin up too. Im meant to be moving in on the 21st but i have nationals on the 22nd/23rd so im not moving in until the 24th. Thats making me scared too because in turning up late and dont have long to get ready cause i have talks from 2pm that same day that i need to go to. 

Thanks xx 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi Esme,

I know how you feel - uni starts in just a few weeks! Feeling a little nervous because it's a big change, but also looking forward to it. 

For cooking, cleaning etc, it's never too late to learn and start! Practising a little at home is good in preparation for moving in, but there's always tutorials online in case you need a little help. Millions of recipes online are a great help for cooking! For laundry, there's plenty of advice online - here's an easy-to-read resource - https://www.whatuni.com/advice/uni-life/guide-to-laundry-at-university/55310/

A lot of people find that when they first move in, they feel a little homesick, and that's okay - you're living on your own properly for the first time, so it's natural! Of course, you do have the option to visit home, but I'd try and stay in halls most of the time so that you can enjoy the halls experience. You can still contact family through Whatsapp, Skype etc, so you won't be completely isolated from them!x

I think that being worried is quite normal - it will be the first time that almost anyone living in halls has lived away from home for an extended period, so of course you worry about leaving people behind, missing things out, and the general change of your lifestyle. That's okay - remember that you can still keep in touch with friends and family, and that you can come back for the holiday breaks as well!x

I hope that you find uni a good experience this year - I'm sure the both of us will have a great first year at university!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Its normal, lots of people will be having similar worries because for loads of students its the first time they have lived away from home. Over time you will find your way and there are always student support centres and friends to help you.

Try focusing on your course, all of the cool new things you are going to learn and do. Think about decorating your new room, thats really fun. How about doing some research about where you are living? where the laundry rooms/washing machine are, you could even make a list of meals that you can cook. How about practicing some before you leave? You can ask your family if you can help in the kitchen and learn how they prep food :) 

You can also make a facebook chat with all your friends and ask them to update you, snapchat or instagram pages are cool to ask you can share photos of your new place. Don't forget you can always message your friends and even visit them whilst at uni :) 

When packing how about doing it in small amounts, or make a list first? You could even try to just fill two boxes a day if you can.

Good Luck with university! 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
    Hey Azziman. 

Thanks for the message, its really helpful! Hope your move to uni is good too  <3

Thanks @Eyepatch
    I am trying to practice cooking at home but it hasn’t been going so well really. That is a great idea about the chats thought, I’ll do that!! 
     <3 
    What are some of your favourite foods? Ive been a student for ages now so I might be able to give you some pointers as to making healthy food easily and cheaply :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
    @Eyepatch i dont really have any favourite foods. I guess i will be cooking a lot of chicken and pasta dishes though if you know anything good to cook with that?
    Well often Quorn chicken is cheaper and can be frozen to last a lot longer, plus you don't have to worry about food poisoning and its healthy. You can cook it in loads of different ways too, with real chicken using a frying pan with a bit of oil is probably easiest, wait until its all white and then cut the largest piece in half to make sure its white all the way though. 
    Pasta is great because if you make too much you can keep it in a Tupperware box in the fridge and it will last a few days. How about chicken carbonara? You can buy carbonara sauce, cook some chicken and pasta, then stir it together with the sauce :) 
    Buying the little jars of supermarket herbs is great too, as you can add them to meals to make them taste better, anything with tomato tastes good with basil and anything with meat is tasty with a bit of Cajun or Paprika (little bit spicy) Sometimes I would buy a microwave meal for when Im feeling lazy but mix some spices and herbs in to them so they taste better :) 
    Esme17 said:
    Hey.

Im taking a couple of blankets and my teddies and then ill probably take photos from home to pin up too. Im meant to be moving in on the 21st but i have nationals on the 22nd/23rd so im not moving in until the 24th. Thats making me scared too because in turning up late and dont have long to get ready cause i have talks from 2pm that same day that i need to go to. 

Thanks xx 

Hey...

Good idea with the blankets and teddies and photo's most certainly.

I know the moving on the date isn't ideal but it seems the earliest you can do? Try to take the day slowely and as it comes, try not to be so overwheled- so much more easier said than done!!

The earlier you et coier in your room, you'll feel better. When do your actual lessons start?

Take care,

In_me

When do your actual lessons start?

Thanks for the cooking tips @Eyepatch ill keep them in mind for shopping and cooking!

Lessons start on the 1st October but induction week starts the day i move in with talks about timetables etc. which i need to go to them all. 
    Esme17 said:

When do your actual lessons start?

Thanks for the cooking tips @Eyepatch ill keep them in mind for shopping and cooking!

Lessons start on the 1st October but induction week starts the day i move in with talks about timetables etc. which i need to go to them all. 

Hi there,

OK!... Induction week is talks about like the uni and your course and some activities to help you get with the group, meet the lectures and get to know the whole feel for it. Though, every uni does do it slightly different. No dount, you have to go if you can. I was just trying to wonder if you start lessons soon after moving in, but you have a bit of break which will be fine and hopefully help. You won't have the academic pressure during the settling in period.

Take care.

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Esme17 said:
    Hey Azziman. 

Thanks for the message, its really helpful! Hope your move to uni is good too  <3
    Thanks Esme - I'm nervous, but looking forward to it at the same time!

Just a couple of extra cooking tips for you:

1) There are apps that let you get ingredients or even meals for cheap. Too Good to Go allows you to pick up cheaper food from nearby shops, as it would be thrown away at the end of that day anyways. There's also Olio, which allows you to pick up and share unwanted food from others.

2) If you make friends with someone who's a good cook, you can swap favours - for example, they cook you both a meal, and in return, you give them a lift to the shops/uni etc. It's a nice way to meet each another's needs while gaining a good friend too :)

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.