Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Online safety?

EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
There is something I want to get online but I'd have to meet with a stranger to buy it, it doesn't cost much so I'm only bringing cash just incase and I have asked some friends to come with me. I also looked up the strangers name and don't see anything suspicious, just wondering what else I can do to stay safe. I have picked a public place to meet but I'm still a bit scared. 

Online he said he wanted to get rid of it asap which seems suspicious, or maybe I'm being paranoid. :/ I keep worrying if what I'm buying is stolen? but I don't think so as no one would steal something just to sell it at such a low price.  

Anyway, small paranoid ball of stress could use some advice or reassurance right now :S
"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 

Comments

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    That sounds risky. Don`t meet him
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Eyepatch :)

I'm a frequent users of apps such as olio and often meet up.

You've already taken great steps in regards to taking friends, research and a public place.

the only added measure i do is make sure i have my phone on hand. if i were buying something i would make sure i only had the agreed upon amount.
    of course don't give out any personal information, and trust your gut during.

much love xo

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    @Laine Thanks, Im going to have my phone in my pocket and only the amount cash with me. Plus my friend who is tall and will stand with me, and another friend watching from the side who can call out if anything goes wrong. I've not done this before so its really nerve racking (@Kasa2103 I can always leave before the meeting as he doesn't know what I look like.)

I just want to get the item and leave as soon as I can, I'll let you know how it goes. From his messages it seems he just wants it gone. I have looked online and nothing has been reported stolen or missing recently so I think it will be okay. I just get paranoid about strangers :/ 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited September 2018
    Hey. 
    I think these things are usually okay. I did this once with my older sister. She wanted a second hand bike as her brought ones always get stolen.  and the people was buying the bike from- was actually lovely. Never actually thought about that the  bike could of been stolen though. But im sure whatever youre buying ,will be okay, they usually just wanna sell the item and nothing else
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    @Shaunie

Thanks :) If this goes well then I'm sure I'll feel less nervous next time I buy stuff online. He's selling an animal very cheaply and from the messages it seems like he doesn't care where it goes so I'm only buying it so I can take it to the vets and then find it a better home. I think their pet might have accidentally got pregnant so they just want to get rid of the babies. I've heard loads of horror stories about animals just being abandoned here so I don't mind spending a little bit of money to help this bunny find a better home.
    Just an update, everything went well!

The rabbits this guy had were being kept in a cage too small for them and he said he 'just wanted to get rid of it' (he sold the other young ones) no one wanted it and he 'just wanted it gone.' Other than how little he cared for this rabbit he was quite friendly and I went into the back garden from the side of the house so I didn't have to go inside.  

Anyway, taking care of the bunny now until I can find it a good home. I've had to buy a few things for the bunny but the guy only wanted £1 for it so I don't mind buying a few extras so that it has a warm bed, good food and a few toys. 

Thanks for helping! Im so glad we saved this little bunny from being stuck in a tiny dark cage.

(And don't worry, my snake is far too small to eat a bunny and I'd never let that happen anyway.)
    Awesome why would anyone mistreat a ickle wickle bunny and sell them for a pound?

I'm super glad they're doing okay keep us updated

What you've done is amazing!  Xo

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

He has so much space now, a bit shy but Im learning how to free rome as he is an indoor breed. Not sure about names yet, its between Benedict Cabbagepatch and Cinnamon Bunny. :P
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Glad everything went well! He's so cute :) also, I like Cinnamon Bunny! =)  
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Aw he’s cute!! Like the possible names too
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    I love Benedict Cabbage patch that's so cute on my lord 😍

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    oh my - CUTE BUNNY ALERT !!!! It is adorable @Eyepatch <3
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Thank you everyone :D 
    Bunbun is slowly getting used to me, this morning I woke up because he'd somehow got on my bed and was licking my nose! :blush: