Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Things to do if you're feeling anxious

LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
Being anxious is something I do well and while I can't stop that anxiety happening there are many things I do to calm that anxiety.
First off I'd like to mention 4 little reasons why anxiety isn't helpful, not to say you should stop being anxious as its out of your control but to remind you that just because the fear is in your head doesn't make it real. 

1. The thing you're worried about likely won't happen.

2. If the thing does happen it can be fixed, solved, replaced, treated, forgiven, or forgotten.

3. Being anxious will not solve the problem, it will only make you feel worse, the problem can either be solved or it can be out of your hands, either way anxiety does play a helpful part

4. Anxiety in itself can manifest into many physical symptoms which may lead you to the death assumption, it can cause a range of symptoms here's a list of the most common, if you have any of these it's likely anxiety: https://www.healthline.com/health/anxiety-symptoms#symptoms

Now I'll move on to what you can do for what the fear is(some of the suggestions will be the same for some but I wanted to sort of name them so you can skip to what you need right now. 

Anxiety without a known cause. 
If you feel anxious or have a beating heart without an underlying cause or without a yet known one what you can do is tackle the symptoms head on. 

1. Sip on something without caffeine, a warm herbal tea,  a decaff tea, some water.  Caffeine and sugar will make symptoms worse as it will increase the adrenaline you feel. 

2. Some breathing exercises.
It's very likely if you have heart palpations your breathing will be laboured,  be it short or frequent, if you find your breathing abnormal don't panic and instead use some exercises to regulate your breathing here's an NHS link on one: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/ways-relieve-stress/

3. Distraction methods work great here, whatever works best for you is what you should do, if exercising helps go for a walk, Watch some TV, listen to music,  color in ect. 

As for anxiety around health.
If you are anxious about a potential health problem theres some things you can do. 

1. Challenge your thoughts.
draw a table with two columns write your health worries in the first column, then more balanced thoughts in the second for example, in the first column you may write, "I'm worried about these headaches" and in the second, "Headaches can often be a sign of stress".

2. If your worry is about one specific health problem write down what you think it is, write down all its symptoms, write down your symptoms, and see if they coincide, also rationalize your thoughts, for instance you could think you're having a heart attack, and if writing down the symptoms don't help then go to logical thinking "well my chest hurts but not bad enough to stop doing things" "I'm not old nor a smoker so it can't be likely" rationalize.

3. Once the evidence proves not distract yourself like I suggested earlier. 
If you do an activity you enjoy it can take your mind off it and help you understand it's not serious,  if it were bad you would stop doing said and be in a lot of pain,  seek attention then(although that is rare and I've never had a fear of mine come true)
I find it helpful to tailor the distraction to your fear.  If you're worried about a heart attack for example go for a walk, if it's about your breathing sing along to some music,  if it's about your eyesight watch some TV with subtitles and seeing you can read them. 

I've got more advice for different ones like social fears, a phobia,  and panic attacks ect I'm just going to add them further down so this section isn't too big. 

I will also add things you can in general to help or become calmer after those,  it's sort of an anxiety all in one :)

Stay tuned! <3

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld

Comments

• petal123petal123 Posts: 21 Boards Initiate
    Thank you🧡
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    As promised guys an update! (and that's okay Petal you're welcome :) )

Anxiety around social situations:
    if you find yourself talking to or having to talk to someone and your social fears are kicking in try these few things. 

1. Try to identify and rationalise your
    thoughts, for instance. 
    If your thought is "they will think I'm really weird" try to rationalise it, will they really?  If they do is it all that bad? All throughout college I had the same fears until I found the friend group for me,  granted they weren't on my course but we had some real good times! 
    If your thought is about "I will mess up" such as ordering from a cafe or speaking in a class ect, this was a big one of mine and I still really muck up but people have never cared so far in all my years of "messing up" if I stutter I correct myself,  if I say a wrong word or put one before the other I continue with it but with my Yoda voice of course,  I love laughing at myself and making jokes it cheers others up and I get to laugh with them. 
    Feeling like a weirdo isn't bad you can use it to your advantage and be that person in the friend group :)

2. Try breathing Exercises.
    As mentioned before breathing exercises are great for anxiety, they cna Alis be beneficial in social situations. I personally mess up more when I'm breathing too shallow or too much I find it harder to talk. 

3. Try to rehearse your words. 
    Don't read too much into this one! 
    Getting the gist of what to say is good but if you over think the words they will come out wrong. 

4. Try listening to music. 
    This one is a favourite of mine, I've always got one earphone in my ear and I talk to people while listening with the other,  it really helps it keeps my brain busy so I can't overthink owt. 

Most importantly just don't try too hard it will be okay :)

Anothet update coming soon x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I read these earlier and good reminder as sometimes I forget in time I get anxiousThank you for sharing! <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    You're welcome Shaunie :)
     I hope to help others with my experience of anxiety and the many ways it manifests. 

An update will happen very soon for tips around OCD (the various sub forms specifically magical thinking which I struggle with a lot) 

And then I'll post various things I find helps when I'm feeling really anxious yadda yadda I've rambled enough haha

Hope you're doing okay x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

As promised guys here are a bunch of things I do when I feel anxious, have physical symptoms or am having a panic attack (so multiple times a day aha)
    1. Listen to music. (be it happy, sad,  calming, however you're feeling put some music on! I've got some emo/alternative on at the moment i'm usually in the mood for something to sing along to to regulate my breathing, other times I'll go for something soothing to do breathing exercises with or caws like this just one to cry to ) 

2. Colour In or draw. if you're artsy draw or paint a picture!  If you're a shocking drawer, (I feel you) get yourself some pencils and a book or paint by numbers it's really good to just focus on and not whats worrying you.

3. Take a walk. 
    depending on how you feel taking a walk can help,  if you're agrophobic or have social anxiety though this may not be beneficial, instead get some fresh air stand on the doorstep :) 

4. Watch some TV or Netflix. following the distraction method watch a good show that interests you go neutral,  if you have health anxiety no medical shows like 24 hours in A and E, if you have intrusive thoughts no ghosts,  no scary things if you have phobias of like clowns,  burglers,  murderers,  death etc. 

5. Have a bath or shower. this ones pretty self explanatory, get yourself some lovely chocolate, a nice drink of your choosing, and just relax. 

6. Get support. does your family know of your struggles? Are you at school or college or university?  Do they have student support?  Have you tried talking to your GP and getting refered for something? 

I will be adding another update soon just wanted to post this now before i made more :) 

Stay strong ❤

🌈Positive thoughts🌈