Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to use private messages

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited July 2020 in Help Desk
Once you've registered and got involved in the community by posting a bit, you'll get your own private message inbox. 
Note: if you signed up to the old boards and had private messaging there, you should have it here too :wink: 

What are private messages?

Private messages (often shortened to PMs) are threads that can only be seen by you and the other person/people included in them. Think of them like a WhatsApp thread or group. 

Why use private messages?

We strongly encourage everyone to have conversations on the main boards where everyone can get involved. That's where you're most likely to get support and input you're looking for :)

But, if you need to get in touch with The Mix staff privately, you can use private messages to drop us a line. This could be for a number of reasons, such as wanting help writing a thread, feeling worried about something or someone in the community, to report something that breaks our guidelines and so on :+1:

How can I check and send private messages?

Private messages are available once you've registered and started posting. Although there are some exceptions. For example, we tend to disable private messages for members that use them to break guidelines (such as sending spam messages).

You can preview your inbox by hovering over (desktop) or tapping (mobile) the in-tray icon in your user settings at the top right:

From there you can either click into any messages you have or send a new message. To send a message to us, just click New Message and then in the Recipients field, start typing: The Mix. An auto-suggest box will pop up 
and you should be able to just click (or tap) on 'The Mix'. Then, type your message and press Start Conversation when you're ready.

Note: you can also access your inbox from your profile page:
And you can also send someone a message from their profile page.

How can I delete private messages?

It's not possible to delete private messages, because doing that would mean also deleting it for the other person/people involved. However, you can simply leave a private message thread.

You can do this by heading to the private message in question and hitting the 'Leave Conversation' button:

This button is on the right if you're using a desktop/laptop and underneath the message if you're on mobile.

How much space does my inbox have?

Once you have your inbox, you get unlimited space to store messages :grin:

How can I report a private message?

There is no specific 'report' function, but you can add @The Mix to any conversation by clicking 'add people' if you're worried about something, someone is breaking guidelines, or just using them inappropriately. You can also screenshot the message and send it to us if you want to be more discreet, and then we'll look into it from our side.

It's better to be safe than sorry with this. Whenever you're unsure about a PM, it's best to tell us. :)
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
Post edited by JustV on
Tagged:

Comments

• fadedangelfadedangel Posts: 263 The Mix Regular
    I’m a bit confused about why I’ve been blocked from starting new messages. I’ve onky just got here so I apologise if I did something wrong but I didn’t know what I was doing but I’m not sure what I didn’t wrong? 
    « I have been through hell but the best is yet to come « 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2018
    Thoughtsy said:
    I’m a bit confused about why I’ve been blocked from starting new messages. I’ve onky just got here so I apologise if I did something wrong but I didn’t know what I was doing but I’m not sure what I didn’t wrong? 
    Hey, it might be to do with the fact you dont have many posts on the boards- cause i think ive read you need certains post count to start certain amount of messages. Though i dont really know ah sorry
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie said:
    Thoughtsy said:
    Hey, it might be to do with the fact you dont have many posts on the boards- cause i think ive read you need certains post count to start certain amount of messages. Though i dont really know ah sorry
    Ah thank you Shaunie, may well be :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here

I think Shaunie could be right though now your postcount being '10' should enable you to message us. You defo haven't done anything wrong :)

Now, when visiting anyone's profile you should see an envelope icon with Message beside it as in this screencap.

and that is what you click on to write a pm.

You'll be ok B)

Mandyx

Floxy said:

I think Shaunie could be right though now your postcount being '10' should enable you to message us. You defo haven't done anything wrong :)

Now, when visiting anyone's profile you should see an envelope icon with Message beside it as in this screencap.

and that is what you click on to write a pm.

You'll be ok B)

Mandyx

Thank you so much, I read a thread about titles and bonuses and then I realised where you were coming from. I have now been moved up and I can write messages. I just had no idea what I was doing 😂
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Ahh @Thoughtsy, getting used to this new vanilla forum took me ages and still is, so you're not alone. ;)
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Can we please be able to delete pm's or edit them like you can on the boards for an hour? 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    edited April 2020
    Can we please be able to delete pm's or edit them like you can on the boards for an hour? 
    Totally agree that this would be great, @BubblesGoesBoo! Unfortunately this one's out of our reach for now, but it's on our wishlist for sure. Maybe some time in the future. :) Like your thinking!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    edited July 2020
    There was a bit of a gap with this thread about reporting PMs, so we've added this to the guide:

There is no specific 'report' function, but you can add @The Mix to any conversation if you're worried about something, someone is breaking guidelines, or just using them inappropriately. You can also screenshot the message and send it to us if you want to be more discreet, and then we'll look into it from our side.

It's better to be safe than sorry with this. Whenever you're unsure about a PM, it's best to tell us. :)

While staff have the ability to read PMs, we take privacy seriously and as a rule we don't use that ability unless something serious is brought to our attention. That space is yours and we don't feel a need to oversee that without good cause. The downside to that is that we rely on people reporting questionable PMs to us, so please do that with any PM you're unsure about. :)
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Mike said:
    There was a bit of a gap with this thread about reporting PMs, so we've added this to the guide:

There is no specific 'report' function, but you can add @The Mix to any conversation if you're worried about something, someone is breaking guidelines, or just using them inappropriately. You can also screenshot the message and send it to us if you want to be more discreet, and then we'll look into it from our side.

While staff have the ability to read PMs, we take privacy seriously and as a rule we don't use that ability unless something serious is brought to our attention. That space is yours and we don't feel a need to oversee that without good cause. The downside to that is that we rely on people reporting questionable PMs to us, so please do that with any PM you're unsure about. :)

So if you tag a user in your message they can see the messages too?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    @Shaunie said:
    So if you tag a user in your message they can see the messages too?
    Sorry, that's my unclear wording - I mean if you add us to the conversation via 'add people'. :)

My understanding is tagging someone in a PM doesn't notify them in any way.