Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How has The Mix helped you, and what is the best thing it does?

thomthom Deactivated Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
edited July 2018 in We Need You
Hey everyone,

As part of my work experience at The Mix one of my tasks it to answer some questions for a project - funnily enough, the two questions in the title are a part of that. So how has The Mix helped you, and what is the best thing it does? Please, share your stories and experiences!

We might use some of your responses in a report that The Mix is writing. If you don't feel comfortable with that, do let us know and we will make sure not to include your post.
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    TheMix's telephone counselling has helped me the most (I've had it 3 times) and also I'de say that's the best thing TheMix does aswell (just my oppinion).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Originally I joined the board to be supportive to my girlfriend, but when we split up, I remained an active member. Mostly my posts have been supported, but a few have not been though the staff are aware of my issue. It was probably because my being a single 'parent' to my 12 year old ward, there was insufficient support available, and my other problem being Selective Mutism, mainly because on the board there is no-one with experience who could help.

The board's overall activity depends on the time of the year, when like now most are off college or school for the summer recess, so they flock here more often whereas I'm off sick and visit when possible. And the Christmas season I expect would be a busy time for the board. For me, the greatest support and encouragement I have ever received has been in Support Circle either Sunday evenings or Tuesdays. That is greatness! =)

Also I find general chat supportive in its way for chatting along with friends on lighthearted subjects. This again is in the evenings when one feels a bit lonely at times. Not so much the support chats because the chat software isn't capped, so any number of people wanting help could turn up, and at times it gets so busy that I have had to say goodnight and log off.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to run a poll, @thom
    Example:
    # The Mix Board/forums
    # Support Circle
    # Support Chat
    # General Chat 

And then when others vote, you should get some pretty good feedback. :)

The Under 16's Chat was very good in its time, too. Earlier on a Saturday evening meant our younger ones could get log in and get much needed support. Once a decision has been made as to its return, I would hope it would carry on because it was very loved.

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I first joined the mix when I was 13 to get support through chat. I liked the idea of a group environment for support. Still, to this day I find chat a very helpful and supportive place, and general chat a good place to chill.

As Floxy said above, I also found the under 16s chats helpful when they used to happen (I’m 15 now). 

And the boards. Can’t forget the boards! They’re amazing too!

I think in answer to your questions:
    1. The Mix has helped to me to get support and improve my skills in supporting others too.
    2. I think the best things (I can’t choose) are chat and the boards :)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2018
    Aw, great question cause The Mix has helped me a lot in few ways. Joined when started getting bad with suicidal thoughts & low motivation and i was recieving some offline help aswell. But i found it really hard to speak to like my gp and then they didnt know how to help & all got frustating. Was hard to be honest about how was feeling as felt was shameful thing. But joining has made me feel less alone & that it is okay to seek that sort of help if need & now i actually speak with health professionals lot more than used to & feel more comfortable seeking other help aswell

I mostly use the discussion boards and group chats (mostly just support chat). Ive used other sites before but not found half as helpful & havent stayed.

And also like listening to others (which another way feel less alone) & like supporting others but insight has helped me bit more understanding & empathy with people in generall too

Is a lot of comfort with lovely people who take time to read & listen & then think my worth may not be completly nothing. And then can truley empathsis & understand to feel less alone. & wish i found site sooner. And also advice & other peoples opinion & perspective is great help.  
    So just think the best thing is it is ; nice place to get support & say whats going on or any issue. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
This discussion has been closed.