Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Welcome to the new boards!

Comments

• AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    Shaunie isn't alone with this issue. I've had it myself this is the 3rd time in 1 day. 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    edited June 2018
    I get it constantly, but refreshing the page makes it go away. :)

Edit. Until 5 minutes later, when it's back with Whoops! There was an error.

Indeed. :neutral:

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited June 2018
    Hey @The Mix

Thank you

The Youtube links dont work on my phone or laptop. 

And the layout where a random post is first
    - is still the same when i am logged in.  But i mean the order was in a mess awhile ago, so maybe will sort it self out soon

That page “something has gone wrong” only happens on this site and keeps coming up. :S

Sorry. Also have something else to say - maybe im just the only one who thinks this so probs ignore it. - But dont like the “hug” button. I think i remeber reading something like —‘getting views but not getting any replying -would be a chance to show people are listening’ — um im thinkin what if people dont care that much that they dont even wanna click on a hug button and then youre getting views but then feeling more shit. Atleast i knew people maybe dunno what to say when they view it, so they dont reply. But many views but no response or Reaction after days is even more shit feeling. Esp when others getting responses straight away. Then i feel until i say something like ‘no one cares’ then someone only reads to reply not because they wanna understand or care. Idk. Maybe not. So probs ignore. 

Sorry that was longer than meant. 

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited June 2018
    Im so sorry to write again or annoy with little things.  But i Also cant see signatures on my phone or ipod. only can see it on laptop.
     not like it annoys me or something just thought id point them out  :)
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    edited June 2018
    Hey folks,

@Floxy @Abigail @Shaunie Hmm, so it looks like the 'something has gone wrong' message is appearing for quite a few of you. We actually noticed it ourselves as well, so it looks like it's a problem at our end. It seems to be the same for the funny ordering of threads. We'll pass these on, and for now, it might be a case of refreshing and bearing with us. :)
    Shaunie said:
    Im so sorry to write again or annoy with little things.  But i Also cant see signatures on my phone or ipod. only can see it on laptop.
     not like it annoys me or something just thought id point them out  :)

Little things are just as important as big things. :) We reckon this is the same for everyone and that it's probably part of our custom theme for the website. We'll see if there's any possibility of changing it though, because it would be nice to see them on mobile too (same with avatars).
    Shaunie said:

Sorry. Also have something else to say - maybe im just the only one who thinks this so probs ignore it. - But dont like the “hug” button. I think i remeber reading something like —‘getting views but not getting any replying -would be a chance to show people are listening’ — um im thinkin what if people dont care that much that they dont even wanna click on a hug button and then youre getting views but then feeling more shit. Atleast i knew people maybe dunno what to say when they view it, so they dont reply. But many views but no response or Reaction after days is even more shit feeling. Esp when others getting responses straight away. Then i feel until i say something like ‘no one cares’ then someone only reads to reply not because they wanna understand or care. Idk. Maybe not. So probs ignore. 

Sorry that was longer than meant.
    This is a really interesting piece of feedback. Reactions are something we'll look at a bit later down the line - we'll be thinking about how well they work, whether we could add or remove some of them, and generally see how everyone feels. The reactions aren't set in stone.

It doesn't feel great when we don't get a response, and there can often be a lot of different reasons behind that. Someone may not be comfortable with the topic, the post may be difficult to respond to, they might have simply not seen it, etc. Our feeling is that reactions have helped people contribute to discussions overall, but we can totally appreciate that there could be some negative feelings there too. This is something we'll consider - thanks for saying. :)
    Shaunie said:

The Youtube links dont work on my phone or laptop.
    Hmmm, this is a weird one. It may be an issue with mobile YouTube links being formatted differently to desktop ones. We did have some trouble on mobile but desktop links seem to be working okay for us. Could you give us an example of a link that doesn't show the video player?

Cheers,
    Mike
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The Mix said:

GIF avatars: Unfortunately GIF avatars are not supported by Vanilla. We also don't have the ability to view all members or add a 'members page', but it has been highly requested to Vanilla, so it's possible we'll see it in future updates.

This is a shame. The GIF is working on my profile page, but not on the actual boards.  :/
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive said:
    The Mix said:

GIF avatars: Unfortunately GIF avatars are not supported by Vanilla. We also don't have the ability to view all members or add a 'members page', but it has been highly requested to Vanilla, so it's possible we'll see it in future updates.

This is a shame. The GIF is working on my profile page, but not on the actual boards.  :/
    Huh, so it is... we hadn't noticed that. That is a bit peculiar, so we'll double check on this one. :)

Mike
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    edited June 2018
    Hey folks,

A few updates:

• The 'search' function has been fixed and is now much faster
    • The boards are now loading properly
    • Avatars now display on mobile (we're still looking into signatures)

Mike
    Post edited by JustV on

Thanks @Mike for your various explanations of the peculiarities of the forum as a whole, but I may be the only member here who continues having regular meltdowns as I navigate the boards. Example, when accidentally brushing my mouse over the notifications or my Inbox, down they drop a shed load across my screen, causing me to get into a rage. What worries me is rarely have I ever got into a rage. Until Vanilla. :scream:

So I've just this minute unchecked a lot of notifications. I hope that is going to be a good decision. As for the rest, I guess I'll have to see. :confused:

I'm relieved @The Mix allows the use of VPNs, otherwise my Spanish/Mallorcan ISP Duiaz blocks access here and also chat which I've tried many times to, but with little success. Now I am using a VPN (Viper) it allows me access to blocked sites our ISP disallows and in other countries, too.

I've my VPN to their London server. This means I get access all the time and delightfully, it speeds up our internet very well. Also, the VPN makes it safe to use in WiFi areas where phishers often lurk, such as airports.  I just wanted to let staff know therefore, that I am not being deceitful showing a London IP when really I'm in Mallorca. B)
    Hey @Aife and @Mike has our new board got a membership list? I want to look a member up, but can't. :/
    Floxy said:
    Hey @Aife and @Mike has our new board got a membership list? I want to look a member up, but can't. :/
    Currently, no. It's something we're hoping to see in future updates, but right now there's no dedicated page or way to search for a member. That said, if someone has posted, you can search their name using the regular search bar, which should show you their profile. :)
    Floxy said:
    So I've just this minute unchecked a lot of notifications. I hope that is going to be a good decision. As for the rest, I guess I'll have to see. :confused:
    This sounds like a reasonable solution. :) Particularly for more active members, this can sometimes be easiest. Unless you include private messages, you shouldn't be getting more notifications than you were previously. Have you noticed an increase?
    Floxy said:
    I just wanted to let staff know therefore, that I am not being deceitful showing a London IP when really I'm in Mallorca. B)
    No worries about this. People are welcome to use VPNs of course, and we don't monitor IPs. We'll only check them if we have a good reason to. :)

Mike

Another update: signatures now display on mobile.

Mike

Hi Mike @The Mix

I haven't noticed an increase in my notifications since unchecking several 'popup' boxes, though some still spring up and that's ok. Not nearly so invasive. Thanks for that! =)

Unfortunately when searching for a member by using the regular search bar, all it shows is 'Recent Activity'. :/

You're going to bawk at this though. When starting a new discussion earlier and I was wanting to underline a title in the header box, when I pressed ctrl and u, up appeared this.

and that's just one small sample!  :joy:  :joy:  :joy:  :joy:  :joy:
    Floxy said:
    Hi Mike @The Mix

I haven't noticed an increase in my notifications since unchecking several 'popup' boxes, though some still spring up and that's ok. Not nearly so invasive. Thanks for that! =)

Unfortunately when searching for a member by using the regular search bar, all it shows is 'Recent Activity'. :/

You're going to bawk at this though. When starting a new discussion earlier and I was wanting to underline a title in the header box, when I pressed ctrl and u, up appeared this.

Oooh! Hahaha. It looks like Ctrl+U is a shortcut for viewing the source code? Interesting find. :p

Hmm, noted about the 'recent activity' result. For now, it might just be the case that you can't look through someone's posting by searching. I know this is slightly different, but if there are particular threads you don't want to lose, you can bookmark them for easy reference by clicking the star icon. :)

Mike

The Mix said:
    Floxy said:
    Hi Mike @The Mix

Oooh! Hahaha. It looks like Ctrl+U is a shortcut for viewing the source code? Interesting find. :p

Hmm, noted about the 'recent activity' result. For now, it might just be the case that you can't look through someone's posting by searching. I know this is slightly different, but if there are particular threads you don't want to lose, you can bookmark them for easy reference by clicking the star icon. :)

Mike
    I hope that my find doesn't cause some nasty person to gain unauthorized access to your data. But thank you for the suggestion, Mike. When my health is fully restored, then I will be more active on the forum and in chats.

Thanks anyway. :)
    edited July 2018
    The Mix said:
    They used to be in more places, like before clicking on the actul thread, with the name. Like i liked seeing who wrote the thread before actually clicking on it. But yeah not that important sorry. 
    Floxy said:
    The Mix said:
    Floxy said:
    Hi Mike @The Mix

Mike
    I hope that my find doesn't cause some nasty person to gain unauthorized access to your data. But thank you for the suggestion, Mike. When my health is fully restored, then I will be more active on the forum and in chats.

Thanks anyway. :)
    Interesting thought, but shouldn't be a problem. You can view the source code to any website by using that shortcut - it's nothing sensitive. :) Appreciate the concern, though!

Get well soon, by the way.
    Shaunie said:
    The Mix said:
    They used to be in more places, like before clicking on the actul thread, with the name. Like i liked seeing who wrote the thread before actually clicking on it. But yeah not that important sorry. 
    Everything is important. :) This is an interesting point, and you're right - avatars did used to show in the list of threads. It would help if we could see the author of the thread before clicking on it... we'll take this to our tech team and see what we can do. :+1:

Mike

The Mix said:
    Floxy said:
    Also, I thought Vanilla would enable a more secure log in, ie. https:// but instead it seems to remain http:// as is shown in my screencap 'This connection is not secure...'

This is a good question. We will have this very soon, but for now we're still working on it. Watch this space. :wink:

Mike
    I'm still watching this space. And that's been since May 26. :/
    edited July 2018
    Update:

• The avatar of the most recent poster in each forum and thread will now display on mobile (note that it's not currently the avatar of the author, but the last poster)
    • You can search for a specific user and their posts via the advanced search bar (if you click the 'down' arrow before searching, you see different criteria)

Floxy said:
    The Mix said:
    Floxy said:
    Also, I thought Vanilla would enable a more secure log in, ie. https:// but instead it seems to remain http:// as is shown in my screencap 'This connection is not secure...'

This is a good question. We will have this very soon, but for now we're still working on it. Watch this space. :wink:

Mike
    I'm still watching this space. And that's been since May 26. :/
    It'll take some patience, unfortunately. SSL is in the works but we can't prioritise it. No sensitive data is sent via the boards (bank details, personal info, etc.), so it's more of a precaution than a necessity for us. We didn't give an exact date for this reason - it's something we'll implement when we can. :)

Mike

edited July 2018
    Hey everyone,

An update here:
    • Avatars now display on mobile for most recent and latest posts. 

Aife

edited August 2018
    Hey 
    i like the avatars on there - even if it not showing the Orignal posters - is nice to see something other than text!

I keep wanting to point this out. But dont wanna annoy you if not important  or you already know - but the times of posts are wrong when not logged into account. It is an hour back for some reason- i found it the same with my laptop too. But when i log in its goes an hour forward - the correct time. 
    edited August 2018
    Shaunie said:
    I keep wanting to point this out. But dont wanna annoy you if not important  or you already know - but the times of posts are wrong when not logged into account. It is an hour back for some reason- i found it the same with my laptop too. But when i log in its goes an hour forward - the correct time. 
    Definitely good to mention this kind of thing. :) Even if you think we might know already, it doesn't hurt to raise it (generally, you can safely assume we don't know!).

We'll look into this - might be something to do with a back end setting... thanks for flagging. :)

UPDATE:
    We are (finally) using SSL on the boards. This means data going between the boards and your device is encrypted end-to-end. You'll see the green padlock symbol next to boards URLs:

@Floxy I know you were interested in this particular security update.

Mike

URLs:

@Floxy I know you were interested in this particular security update.

Mike
    @Mike and @The Mix thank you so much for telling me of this super security update. It means a lot to me, and have no doubt will be great news for all your members.   =)

Best regards also to Aife and many thanks again,
    Mandy
    Skive said:
    The Mix said:

Just realised we never got back with a final word on this. Turns out some GIFs just happen to work when viewed on profiles, but none will work on the main forum pages. Again, hopefully we see this in future updates, but safe to assume we won't for now. :+1:

Mike

Hey,
    how do we get notifications for when people quote what we say? I think this was something before ? so just wondering if an option& ive missed it somewhere :)
  • LabraBellLabraBell Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Shaunie said:
    Hey,
    how do we get notifications for when people quote what we say? I think this was something before ? so just wondering if an option& ive missed it somewhere :)
    If I recall when someone quotes you it comes up as a regular "X Commented on..." notification right? I would definitely like to see something like this too but with the quote being an option for writing anything in that might be difficult. Does that even make sense?

Come to think of it, I might be mistaken but it comes up with the whole "X commented on..." message even when someone mentions you I think? Would be good to see that someone has mentioned you if I'm not completely mistaken already :P
    What do you mean I have to think of an intelligent signature?
    edited October 2018
    Ah yeah @LabraBell , there is a notification for things like when soemone tags your name. And being notified of when soemone comments on somethin you have participated in, but I dont have that option on - as too many notifcations. But there not one for quote & realise ive missed when someone quoted and only realise a lot later so kinda annoying. 
    Hey @The Mix  these gaps between sentences have returned. Please could you tell the tech team to get a move on to prevent it? Even when I close the gap between paragraphs, it still doesn't look right. :/
    Floxy said:
    Hey @The Mix  these gaps between sentences have returned. Please could you tell the tech team to get a move on to prevent it? Even when I close the gap between paragraphs, it still doesn't look right. :/
    Thanks for this, @Floxy. Just to clarify, is it gaps between paragraphs or gaps between sentences that are the issue? Or both? It would also be useful to know your browser/device so we can try and replicate the problem. :) 
    LabraBell said:
    Shaunie said:
    Hey,
    If I recall when someone quotes you it comes up as a regular "X Commented on..." notification right? I would definitely like to see something like this too but with the quote being an option for writing anything in that might be difficult. Does that even make sense?

Come to think of it, I might be mistaken but it comes up with the whole "X commented on..." message even when someone mentions you I think? Would be good to see that someone has mentioned you if I'm not completely mistaken already :P
    Shaunie said:
    Ah yeah @LabraBell , there is a notification for things like when soemone tags your name. And being notified of when soemone comments on somethin you have participated in, but I dont have that option on - as too many notifcations. But there not one for quote & realise ive missed when someone quoted and only realise a lot later so kinda annoying. 
    This is a good point - well noticed! Notifications for quotes aren't available anymore, but we do have notifications for being mentioned/tagged. And of course, the usual notifications when someone posts on something you've commented on (although totally hear that could mean a lot of notifications for some of you).

Tagging should be a fine substitute for this, though. Maybe we could add something to the good manners guide, asking people to tag someone when they've quoted them. What do you reckon?

Mike