Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What to tell my parents?

AshleenAshleen Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
So I'm a 17 year old girl and I don't really know how to tell my parents I'm bisexual.. I don't know what they will say.. I don't think it'll be a bad response but I'm nervous and scared how do I properly tell them? How do I  Explain to them what it means if they don't know? I'm not sure what to do about it ...

Comments

• AshleenAshleen Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
    Thank you Aidan... I'm hoping to talk to my mom tomorrow.. Hope everything works out.. I want to tell them so they know.. I just don't like keeping things from them... Its not healthy for our relationship... I'll let you know how it goes
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Ashleen!
    Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow :)

Remember that parents are often misinformed and that's why they get confused about these things. 

Sit down talk to them and make sure you explain it in depth.

Many parents are just confused for their children's well-being so it's important to let them know it won't change anything.

We're here for you every step of the way :) x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    So told my mom..
    totally wasn't expecting the reaction I got tho.. I'm kinda happy crying right now!!
    My mom doesn't care who I like as long as I'm happy.. She doesn't mind she loves me for me!! I'm so happy she's not mad or disappointed
    Thank you Aidan

Now I gotta wait till 4:30 to tell my dad.. Hope he takes it just as well
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Congratulations Ashleen I'm so happy they took it while! 

I told my mum first too when I come out and I found it really helpful to have her with me when telling me dad,  not to gang up on him but so she can help inform him so he doesn't think anything bad is going to happen x

Best wishes <3

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    That's what I'm worried about.. My dad is old fashion.. I'm worried what he may say and how he may react.. I'm not sure I wanna tell him yet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Ashleen said:
    That's what I'm worried about.. My dad is old fashion.. I'm worried what he may say and how he may react.. I'm not sure I wanna tell him yet
    Then don't. You are not under any obligation to tell your parents, or anyone. In the meantime enjoy being your chosen sexuality and let the world deal with it.

Frankly we shouldn't be under any pressure to tell our family anyway, be it nearest or dearest - even friends of our sexuality because plainly it's none of their damned business. Whether they feel bad or judgemental, it's not going to change you in anyway, and I would much rather you be happy and content with your lifestyle that fretting about coming out. Perhaps when you feel you would like to tell your father, then when the time is right. But it doesn't need to be right now, so don't go feeling the slightest bit guilty, ok?

We have lives to live. Therefore, go live. :)