Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Friend in abusive relationship

BryiBryi Posts: 2 Newbie
My friend is in an abusive relationship at the moment and she is trying to get out. Shes really struggling and wants ways to try and get out, she tried avoiding him and that ended up in him climbing the building she stays in to get to her. I'm really worried about her but also myself as I am battling overeating, ive not overeaten in four weeks but my personal stress and my constant worry for my friend is really making me struggle. Any suggestions on to how to help me or my friend? 

Comments

• GretaGreta Deactivated Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
    edited June 2018

Hi @Bryi,

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend’s situation and how it is affecting you.

Women’s Aid is a site that helps women experiencing domestic abuse, and they have a free helpline that can be called at any time. There is also an article on their site on how to support a friend going through domestic abuse that you might find helpful. The Mix also has an article that touches on how to leave an abusive partner that you may want to send to your friend.

It’s really great that you’re reaching out for help for your friend. Would you feel comfortable passing on these resources to her? The best thing you can do right now is to just let her know that you’re there for her and that there are resources that might be able to help her get out of the situation she is in.  It can be really difficult when a friend is going through a tough situation, but it’s important to remember to look after yourself too. Do you feel like you can reach out for support yourself about everything that’s been going on if you need it?

Best of luck to the both of you <3

Greta

• Russell ToresRussell Tores Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
    she needs to lock her windows
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Heya. 

Like greta said i think is important to encorage her to seek help and support. Understand you must feel helpless, but im sure youre helping her just by being there for her. Maybe you could also encoarge her to spend more time with people who care about her like friends and family could also help?

I think its important to look after yourself. Finding other ways to self sooth instead of binge eating as other ways to relieve emotions and hope you seek more support for yourself

take care

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi Bryi,

She needs to go to the police and apply for a restraining order on him. It doesn't look like he will simply leave her alone, so she needs to get the law on her side. As for you, the best thing you can do for her is to be there for her and support her!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.