Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Welcome to the new boards!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    edited May 2018
    The Mix said:
    -snip-
    Hmm, it doesn't look like there is currently but we should be able to add it. Let me look into this - it would be good to have them.

Mike

Another concern is when I'm not logged in, my profile info can be read publicly. I don't want that, and would imagine some other members might not either. :/

Also, what is the maximum image size allowed for the boards? Does Vanilla not auto-correct images to a preferred size?

• TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    edited May 2018
    Floxy said:
    The Mix said:
    Floxy said:
    Will one be able to edit one's posts? I don't see how to at present. This would be very useful so we wouldn't have to keep asking staff to make edits and changes.

This new Vanilla forum is amazing, yet a little daunting at first, think I will find things out as I go along.

Cheers,

Mandy
    Yep, everyone should be able to edit their posts for one hour once they're posted. You should be able to do that by going to the cog icon in the right hand corner of the post, then 'edit'. If that doesn't work for you, let me know. :smile:

Glad you're liking it btw!

Mike

Sorry to be monopolising your thread, but my profile has no 'Privacy' section in it like the old forum and also, I am unable to use the block option.

We were promised that the option to block someone would be available. Means we'd not read their posts on the forum, useful if happening upon a triggering post.

To sum up:
    No privacy section in my profile
    Unable to use the block option (and not read their posts)
    Unable to be "Invisible" on the forum
    Unable to underline text
    Login unsecure (see attachment)
    And please, where is the full list of emojis?

Not at all, Floxy - we're making a list of all these things for us to look into, and you guys asking these questions helps us find things we need to look at. Plus, it's really important that we clear up this questions for everyone else who might be reading. :smile:

• What kind of things would you like to change in a 'privacy' menu?
    • We're currently exploring options for an 'ignore' feautre - another thing that's still in the works. :smile:
    • I'm not sure whether we have support for browsing invisibly, but I'll look into this.
    • The boards use BB code, which means you can use ctrl+U to underline highlighted text (although I'm not sure why it doesn't have a dedicated button). You can also use ctrl+b to embolden, +I to italicise, etc. Very similar to how Microsoft Office programs work.
    • (answered in previous post - didn't see this one before)
    • Here is the full list of emoji.

Mike :smile:

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    edited May 2018
    Skive said:
    Floxy said:
    No privacy section in my profile
    Unable to use the block option (and not read their posts)
    Unable to be "Invisible" on the forum
    Can't see an option to underline text
    Login unsecure (see attachment)
    And please, where is the full list of emojis?

You can block people seeing your email. What other privacy setting do you think are required?
    I can't find the option to block someone either.
    An invisibility option is avaialable here http://community.themix.org.uk/profile/online providing you have made enough posts
    <u>underlined text</u>
    The mix doesn't have ssl certification, but it doesn't really require it your not transimitting sensitive information.
    And the full list of emojis has been posted above ^

:)

Got there faster than me! Thank you @Skive.

Good spot on the invisible option - I hadn't clocked that.

Mike
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    Floxy said:
    The Mix said:
    -snip-
    Hmm, it doesn't look like there is currently but we should be able to add it. Let me look into this - it would be good to have them.

Mike

Another concern is when I'm not logged in, my profile info can be read publicly. I don't want that, and would imagine some other members might not either. :/

Also, what is the maximum image size allowed for the boards? Does Vanilla not auto-correct images to a preferred size?

The point of profile info is that it's readable to everyone on the community, so if you're not sure you want it publicly displayed then it's probably best to remove it. :smile: I believe this applied to the old boards too, if I'm not mistaken.

Hmm, I'm not sure on maximum image size... let me look into that.

Mike

edited May 2018
    Hi Mike, thank you for the useful info. In reply to your question "What kind of things would you like to change in a 'privacy' menu?"

-In my 'Edit Profile' here, I see no privacy section. I remember questioning why there was no privacy section on the old board until either you or @Aife made it available for me to use.

With grateful thanks to @Skive I was able to make myself 'Invisible'

Blocking a user from contacting me would help keep me safe on the boards. By using the Mute option in chat already is useful, so why not here? I am not alone in wanting to feel safe on the boards. I realise the Spoiler option can be used, but not everyone is going to remember using it.

Thanks I've already started using the BB code.

It would be more convenient to have the full range of emojis on this reply box. Otherwise I'll have to make a colour copy of it and stick it on my computer.

Also by blocking a user, I wouldn't want to read their posts, or they read mine.
    Floxy said:
    Hi Mike, thank you for the useful info. In reply to your question "What kind of things would you like to change in a 'privacy' menu?"

-In my 'Edit Profile' here, I see no privacy section. I remember questioning why there was no privacy section on the old board until either you or @Aife made it available for me to use.

With grateful thanks to @Skive I was able to make myself 'Invisible'

Blocking a user from contacting me would help keep me safe on the boards. By using the Mute option in chat already is useful, so why not here? I am not alone in wanting to feel safe on the boards. I realise the Spoiler option can be used, but not everyone is going to remember using it.

Thanks I've already started using the BB code.

It would be more convenient to have the full range of emojis on this reply box. Otherwise I'll have to make a colour copy of it and stick it on my computer.

Also by blocking a user, I wouldn't want to read their posts, or they read mine.
    Sure - there was certainly a privacy settings menu on the old boards. What type of things are you looking to change? As @Skive said, you can hide your email address from view, if that's the concern. :smile:

We are looking at block/ignore features, it's just going to take a little time. It wasn't something we had implemented at the time of launch, but we're working on it. We certainly agree that it's a useful feature for everyone to have access to on a community like this.

Yep, ideally we'd have a whole display box full of every emoji, but that isn't currently an option for us. It might be worth bookmarking the full list for quick reference if you need it, but hopefully it won't take long to familiarise ourselves with the commonly used ones. :smile:

Mike

Hi Mike!

I've hidden my email from view, grateful to @Skive for that. :) 

I'll bookmark the emojis for quick reference. Thanks.

I'd be grateful to be able to have the block/ignore feature which incidentally the old forum lacked, and should imagine any other member feeling vulnerable would welcome this feature. Personally, I don't want someone contacting me. :no_mouth:

Regarding the privacy feature: on the old board, it enabled a member to choose whether friends, members or the general public could view profile content. I had that enabled that for me by Aife.

The whole world and its dog can read my profile for all I care. There's nothing personal on it. :joy:

• MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    edited May 2018
    Where is this member blocking feature I was promised? The blocking feature on the old forum clearly never worked, and we should be able to block/ignore people who have upset us, or those who continually break forum guidelines whom I for one have no wish to be triggered ever again!

My being triggered happened over and over again on the old forum as did the member(s) I wanted to block from contacting me. This has clearly not been considered or seemingly worked on before the migration to the new boards. I'm furious! :rage:

Belle
    We're all in agreement that an block/ignore feature would be very useful. :smile:

It certainly is something we considered. Ideally we'd have had it place before we went live, but unfortunately that didn't end up happening. As with any project, there are a lot of moving parts and sometimes things don't go as expected.

Even though it sucks not to have this feature quite yet, some things are going to take more time than others with a project this big. It was never going to be the case that everything was perfect and in place on day one.

We are working on it and we will update everyone when we have something in place. A block/ignore feature shouldn't take too long for us to implement now.

In the case that you're having trouble with specific members or you feel someone is breaking guidelines, please get in touch with us or report the post and we'll look into it. :smile:

Mike

• MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    The Mix said:
    We're all in agreement that an block/ignore feature would be very useful. :smile:

It certainly is something we considered. Ideally we'd have had it place before we went live, but unfortunately that didn't end up happening. As with any project, there are a lot of moving parts and sometimes things don't go as expected.

Even though it sucks not to have this feature quite yet, some things are going to take more time than others with a project this big. It was never going to be the case that everything was perfect and in place on day one.

We are working on it and we will update everyone when we have something in place. A block/ignore feature shouldn't take too long for us to implement now.

In the case that you're having trouble with specific members or you feel someone is breaking guidelines, please get in touch with us or report the post and we'll look into it. :smile:

Mike
    Hello @Mike

In the old forum I was assured that the block feature (preventing certain people from pm'ing me and ignore option (option not to read the blocked person's content on the boards) feature would be in place in this new Vanilla form. Consequently I am very disappointed.Yeah, is sucks. :-1:

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be reporting content by specific members who break forum guidelines because I don't want to be triggered anymore. And I've been triggered far too much.

Trigger Warning inside spoiler
    You already know my family's history of tragic suicides of young relatives, and the heartbreaking affect on my finding them when very young. Three young people under 19 plus my mother last Christmas. Did my head in. I can't handle reading suicide threats.

Because I am fighting emotional problems stemming from the spoiler including alcoholism and substance abuse which I'm presently fighting in rehab for, I feel it would be best if I don't frequent the boards until this block/ignore feature gets put in place.

I am having to be very careful now; I remain vulnerable. And :bawling:

Belle

Just wondering, but is coloured font available please? That could be really useful and quite stylish, too.

Thanks,
    Mandy
    Floxy said:
    Just wondering, but is coloured font available please? That could be really useful and quite stylish, too.

Thanks,
    Mandy
    I'll add this to the list, thanks Floxy. It's not something currenty available, but it might be something we can look into adding/developing. :smile:

Mike

The Mix said:
    Floxy said:

Thanks,
    Mandy
    I'll add this to the list, thanks Floxy. It's not something currenty available, but it might be something we can look into adding/developing. :smile:

Mike

That would be cool. Thanks!

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited June 2018

Hi @The Mix

Dont mean to sound negative.  I mean i like the new added stuff. But just a few questions cause i dunno if its just my phone or.  im wondering why cant see avatars around the forum. And by that i mean like before you click on the thread and when you click on the thread. I know the avatares still exists but its only when you click on the profile of the person. ( im guessin it may be different on a laptop). But personally i feel it makes the forum look a bit boring and dead. And i can imagine it will get boring seeing all words and no avatars (until clikc on profil) And also where there used to be someones avatars - used to be the memeber name too - so now before clicking on a thread you cant see whos posted it. What if someones triggered by everything i write and dont wanna click on the stuff i write, ah? And before you could see the avatar of the last person who replied to it on the other side of the unopen thread. But even when you open the thread still cant see the avatar - like could do before.  I hope that makes sense. Will screenshot what i mean - to show where i mean the avtars used to be & cause I dunno if its just my phone. 

Also wondering why all the poll discussions have had the comments removed?

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited June 2018

Also what sort of stuff can we share here ?

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Hey @Shaunie it's different on my laptop so I'm guessing it's a forum bug affecting what you see on your phone.
    edited June 2018
    Shaunie said:

Hi @The Mix

Dont mean to sound negative.  I mean i like the new added stuff. But just a few questions cause i dunno if its just my phone or.  im wondering why cant see avatars around the forum. And by that i mean like before you click on the thread and when you click on the thread. I know the avatares still exists but its only when you click on the profile of the person. ( im guessin it may be different on a laptop). But personally i feel it makes the forum look a bit boring and dead. And i can imagine it will get boring seeing all words and no avatars (until clikc on profil) And also where there used to be someones avatars - used to be the memeber name too - so now before clicking on a thread you cant see whos posted it. What if someones triggered by everything i write and dont wanna click on the stuff i write, ah? And before you could see the avatar of the last person who replied to it on the other side of the unopen thread. But even when you open the thread still cant see the avatar - like could do before.  I hope that makes sense. Will screenshot what i mean - to show where i mean the avtars used to be & cause I dunno if its just my phone. 

Also wondering why all the poll discussions have had the comments removed?

Hey @Shaunie

Unfortunately it's not currently possible to see avatars around the forum if you're using a mobile device. It works if you're using a computer though :) We'll look into this and see if there's a feature we can enable for this to work on mobiles. It would be a useful feature to have.

We're not quite sure why the poll discussions have been removed. We think this might have happened when we migrated to Vanilla. We've reported this to our tech team though so hopefully we can find a way to get them back on the boards. 

Oh and with the other feature you found on your profile. It looks like a wall that people can post on and it will show on your profile! 

Do let us know if you have any other questions! 

- Aife

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The boards search function doesn't appear to be working. Is anybody else having the same issue?
    Weekender Offender 
    Hey @Skive

It's seems to be really slow when I've tried to use it. I've written it down as a bug so hopefully our tech team can fix it for us! Thank you for reporting this :) 

- Aife

I'm sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but I loved the old software's "Sent" in private messaging. Then, I could keep a tab on what was last sent. But here on this vanilla's private messaging system, there is no "Sent" displayed which can means some messages get missed.

I'm finding it hard getting my head around this new software, generally. Thought it could have been easier.

Also, I would really appreciate knowing if the Block/Ignore option will be set up. That would make me and others here feel a lot safer. Just saying.
    Please it is possible to add 'Like'  to the list (Flag, Quote, Agree, Hugs) underneath the poster? I think it would increase the member's popularity when others show appreciation of their post.

Special thanks to @Mike for adding Ignore List to one's profile edit. Much appreciated.  =)
    edited June 2018
    Hey folks,

We've come up with some answers to questions that have been asked so far:

GIF avatars: Unfortunately GIF avatars are not supported by Vanilla. We also don't have the ability to view all members or add a 'members page', but it has been highly requested to Vanilla, so it's possible we'll see it in future updates.

Picture size limit: The maximum photo upload size is 50MB.

'Underline' button and coloured font: It doesn't look like we'll see a dedicated 'underline' button on the text editor or coloured font just yet. These features are likely to be included in a future update, so we've got our fingers crossed (we're missing coloured text too).

'Ignore': We now have an 'ignore' feature. You can 'ignore' someone by going to their profile and opening the menu. If you 'ignore' someone, you will no longer see any of their posts.
    I'm sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but I loved the old software's "Sent" in private messaging. Then, I could keep a tab on what was last sent. But here on this vanilla's private messaging system, there is no "Sent" displayed which can means some messages get missed.

(@Floxy) PMs work slightly differently than they did with the old boards. Now, chains function more like 'conversations' (think WhatsApp, FB Messenger, etc). PM chains still get bumped to the top when someone says something new, so hopefully it's not too much hassle.

Please it is possible to add 'Like'  to the list (Flag, Quote, Agree, Hugs) underneath the poster? I think it would increase the member's popularity when others show appreciation of their post.

This is actually something available to us, but as a team we decided against adding it for now. We're keen for 'popularity' not to be a measurable thing on the community, so feel free to use the 'promote' or 'agree' reactions instead. :)

Hopefully that helps answer the majority of questions you guys have. There are a couple of things we're still looking into (such as the missing posts under polls), so we'll keep everyone updated as we go.

Mike

Thanks @Mike for your helpful and detailed info =)

Picture size limit of '50MB' is awesome. But it could fill the entire screen! :joy:

edited June 2018
    Heya

thanks

just wondering. But liek I cant change my avatar because theres no link to where i can paste to where i have found it on the internet. If make sense?

also cant get youtube links to properly work

And when i go on my laptop (which i hardly dont but still found it weird and thought would say anyway) - but the threads are in the wrong order and not time basedEsp in travel and free time. 
    Shaunie said:
    just wondering. But liek I cant change my avatar because theres no link to where i can paste to where i have found it on the internet. If make sense?
    You'll need to save a copy of the image and upload it as your avatar. Being able to set it using the URL is something we lost with the old boards, unfortunately.
    Shaunie said:
    also cant get youtube links to properly work
    In theory, just posting a YouTube link should get the video to display normally - is that what you're doing?
    Shaunie said:

And when i go on my laptop (which i hardly dont but still found it weird and thought would say anyway) - but the threads are in the wrong order and not time basedEsp in travel and free time. 
    Sounds like something might be wrong here... they should definitely display in time order. It looks okay from our end, so would you mind sending us a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Thanks for the input Shaunie. :)

Mike

oh wouldnt that be copyright without the link?

yeah i post youtube links but it just comes up as a link. and have tried to post in the link thing too

its in lot better order than the last time i looked but like on a lot of the sections t,here is a post from a few months ago or something as the first one,

Also keep getting this when i click on things - refresh it once or a few times and its works again. 

edited June 2018
    Shaunie said:
    oh wouldnt that be copyright without the link?
    Strictly speaking, it could be, depending on the usage rights. Although we haven't had an issue with this before, you can usually filter image searches to show photos you can reuse. :)

Shaunie said:
    yeah i post youtube links but it just comes up as a link. and have tried to post in the link thing too
    Hmm... is this happening on both mobile and laptop, or just one?
    Shaunie said:
    its in lot better order than the last time i looked but like on a lot of the sections t,here is a post from a few months ago or something as the first one,

Well, this is very bizarre...! Does it still appear this way when you're logged in? We'll investigate this - let us know if things go back to normal. :)
    Shaunie said:
    Also keep getting this when i click on things - refresh it once or a few times and its works again. 

Looks like everything's been okay at our end... have you noticed it happening with other websites or is it just us?

Cheers for the feedback Shaunie. :)

Mike

Hmmm. It's strange seeing Mirabelle's 'Mouthwatering Indian Recipes' positioned above my Sangria recipes, but not having any posts since last April. Yet, I only took this a minute ago and Mirabelle's recipe has vanished. Kinda weird. :confused: