Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Welcome to the new boards!

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited May 2018 in Help Desk
Hey everyone! :smiley:

Welcome to the new boards!

We've been working hard to get this space ready and we hope you like it!

As you can see, we've tried to make it feel as familiar as possible. It looks very similar to the old boards and we're hoping you shouldn't have any problems finding your way around :)

Posting, threads and polls

As before, you'll see a New Discussion button at the top of every forum. From here you can start a new thread or a new poll. In exciting news though, you can also create one from the homepage of the boards and choose the forum you'd like it to sit.

Posting looks a little different too. For example, you'll notice that emoji are different (we went with your first choice: Twitter style smilies) :sunglasses: - try typing a colon : when writing a post and see what happens!

Here's the full list:

You can also post spoilers!
Spoilers hide things like this until you click on them.

Another exciting feature is tags. These are key terms you can assign to your threads to help them be found more easily and give people a good idea of what to expect when opening them (this is especially useful for Health & Wellbeing, which covers a huge range of topics). We've added over 90 different tags covering pretty much every topic we could think of. Feel free to start adding them to your threads!

For more detail about all this, head to our How to start a discussion or a poll thread and our How to use emoji thread.

Reporting posts and spam

Reporting posts works in a similar way to the old boards. At the bottom of each post, you'll see a 'flag' button, which you can use to report posts (e.g. for breaking guidelines or as post of the month) - just select the 'report' option.

Reporting spam is a bit different. You can use the same flag button as a normal report, but then select the 'Spam' option. You generally seemed pretty keen on the idea of everyone being able to take down spam together http://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3585816/vanilla-survey-results when we asked, so if 5 of you report a post as spam, it will be automatically hidden and sent to the mods to review. Remember though that these reports are public, so we'll know if anyone uses it for non-spam posts ;)

For more detail about reporting posts and spam, head to our How to report a post or spam thread.

Private messages

Good news everyone! Gone are the days of hitting your inbox limit! PM inboxes are now unlimited :mrgreen:
Private messages are still pretty similar otherwise. It's useful to know that the way to delete private messages is now to leave them. This is just a change in language (as you're still only removing the message from your inbox and not the other person's).

For more detail about private messages, head to our How to use private messages thread.

Post reactions

As we mentioned in the consultation, you can now react to posts. Because a lot of you seemed a little unsure about these, we've only added two: Hug and Agree.

:heart: A hug is an easy way to show someone you're listening and there for them, even if you're not quite sure what to say. Try not to let it stop you from posting a proper reply though (you can always send a hug and reply!)

:) Agreeing is an easy way to acknowledge some good support someone else has given and let them know. Again, try not to let it stop you from posting yourself

Other stuff

As well as all that, here are a few other things that are new or different: 

Badges - we now have badges on the boards! We asked you about these too, and based on your replies, we'll be taking this slowly. For now, we've only introduced a small number of starter badges: You can get them for the number of posts (comments) you've made, how long you've been a member, mentioning someone in a post, uploading an avatar and receiving 'agrees' on your posts. In the future, we want to have badges for lots more things that reward the quality of posts people make and for completing e-learning courses (like our course on 'Essential skills for giving support online').

Drafts - you can now save and manage draft posts! Whenever you start typing a new post or thread, the boards will automatically save a draft every couple of minutes. You can also save it manually by clicking the 'Save Draft' button at the bottom. To view your saved drafts, just go to any forum page and click on 'My Drafts' in the menu on the right (or at the bottom if you're on mobile).

Notifications - the new boards allow you much more control over the kind of notifications you want. You can get pop-up and/or email notifications for lots of different things and manage each setting individually. Just head to your edit profile page and click on Notification settings to see them.

Bookmarks - you can bookmark threads you're interested in by clicking the little yellow star at the top of the thread. Access your saved bookmarks from the menu at the top right of the page.

... Plus more! No doubt as you get used to the new boards, you'll notice other little changes and new features here and there ;)
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
Post edited by TheMix on
Tagged:

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    OMG THIS IS SOOOOOO COOOOOL!!! Is gonna take a bit of getting used to though haha!!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Looks nice. Getting used to it though.
    A couple of questions:

Am I right in saying that members who haven’t logged in since March were not migrated? If so how will their comments be displayed in historical threads? Was this due to GDPR?

Also previously we were able to view a list of all members and list a-z or by post count. Is this function still available?

Thanks
    Weekender Offender 
    I have a question already... Are we able to change our user titles ((like where mine says boards baby) and if so how? I won't be the baby forever (considering that I'm 16 this year) ;)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    I have a question already... Are we able to change our user titles ((like where mine says boards baby) and if so how? I won't be the baby forever (considering that I'm 16 this year) ;)
    I had the same thought. This is going to take so long to get used to. Probably a few meltdowns will happen ... Oh well. Looks ok they. 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    This will take some getting used to but thankfully it works for me so i can still use the boards :3

will the former members be able to get their accounts back? I've seen a lot of them around x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Also, is it just on mobile that all of our pictures and signatures have disappeared? Or are they gone for good? X

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Skive said:
    Looks nice. Getting used to it though.
    A couple of questions:

Am I right in saying that members who haven’t logged in since March were not migrated? If so how will their comments be displayed in historical threads? Was this due to GDPR?

Also previously we were able to view a list of all members and list a-z or by post count. Is this function still available?

Thanks
    Glad you like it, Skive!

Yep, that's right. Due to the GDPR, we could only migrate the accounts of active members. We sent out a few emails to our entire community in the months leading up to the migration, explaining that they'd need to either login or before the date or let us know they wanted their account migrated. Members that we couldn't migrate are now displayed as 'former member' but their posts will remain.

I'm not sure what the answer is to your second question, but I've noted it down for us to investigate. I'll get back to you when I find the answer. :smile:

Mike
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    Abigail said:
    I had the same thought. This is going to take so long to get used to. Probably a few meltdowns will happen ... Oh well. Looks ok they. 
    Good question. :smile:

We've set things up so that once you have over 500 posts, you can have a user title (in addition to your 'rank' - Newbie, Incredible Poster, etc.) Let me double check how this works - I'm pretty sure you guys can change them yourselves but it may be that we need to set it for you. I'll look into this and then get back to you when I find the answer. Thanks for raising it!

Mike

Laine said:
    Also, is it just on mobile that all of our pictures and signatures have disappeared? Or are they gone for good? X
    Another good question! As far as I know, signatures weren't migrated, so you'll need to set that up again, but they definitely exist (as do avatars). :smile:

Mike

Laine said:
    This will take some getting used to but thankfully it works for me so i can still use the boards :3

will the former members be able to get their accounts back? I've seen a lot of them around x
    Glad you're liking it!

Anyone who didn't have their accounts migrated won't be able to get them back. They can re-register, but their old accounts will remain as 'former member'. A side-effect of the GDPR, unfortunately.

Just copying what I wrote to Skive because it seems relevant:

Yep, that's right. Due to the GDPR, we could only migrate the accounts of active members. We sent out a few emails to our entire community in the months leading up to the migration, explaining that they'd need to either login or before the date or let us know they wanted their account migrated. Members that we couldn't migrate are now displayed as 'former member' but their posts will remain.

Mike :smile:

edited May 2018
    The Mix said:
    Abigail said:

We've set things up so that once you have over 500 posts, you can have a user title (in addition to your 'rank' - Newbie, Incredible Poster, etc.) Let me double check how this works - I'm pretty sure you guys can change them yourselves but it may be that we need to set it for you. I'll look into this and then get back to you when I find the answer. Thanks for raising it!

Mike
    Another update on this one. I actualy just didn't turn on that setting - entirely my fault! Those of you with over 500 posts should now see an option to set a custom title in 'edit profile'. :smile:

Mike

• AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    The Mix said:
    The Mix said:
    Abigail said:

Mike
    Another update on this one. I actualy just didn't turn on that setting - entirely my fault! Those of you with over 500 posts should now see an option to set a custom title in 'edit profile'. :smile:

Mike
    Mike 1 question how the hell are you meant to get 500 posts? That's might end up being impossible for some of us. 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
    edited May 2018
    Abigail said:
    Mike 1 question how the hell are you meant to get 500 posts? That's might end up being impossible for some of us. 
    It can take a while, for sure. This is part of the bonuses/rewards in place for people who post a lot. Here's the full list, although keep in mind we haven't updated this for Vanilla yet. It'll still be the same for PMs and user titles, but we'll be doing some work on this soon to revamp the rest. :smile:

Mike

EDIT: Turns out this thread seems to be dead... I shall investigate and hopefully repost the list.

I keep getting a permission problem message when I try to open threads on my laptop, saying that I need to enable Javascript (which is already enabled). What's going on? Is it just my computer haha!
    I keep getting a permission problem message when I try to open threads on my laptop, saying that I need to enable Javascript (which is already enabled). What's going on? Is it just my computer haha!
    Hey :smile:

It's not just you. I thought there was an issue with the thread and then I realised we archived it, haha. I've reposted it here: http://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3592278/user-titles-and-bonuses/p1?new=1

Mike

It's not just on that thread, it's happening on other threads as well - basically any thread that isn't marked as an announcement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Will one be able to edit one's posts? I don't see how to at present. This would be very useful so we wouldn't have to keep asking staff to make edits and changes.

This new Vanilla forum is amazing, yet a little daunting at first, think I will find things out as I go along.

Cheers,

Mandy
    It's not just on that thread, it's happening on other threads as well - basically any thread that isn't marked as an announcement.
    Oh, that's not good! Can you link me to a few threads you've tried to access but can't?

Your permissions are setup normally, so in theory there shouldn't be an issue. It might be that the threads you're trying to access have been archived for some reason... hmmm.

Mike

edited May 2018
    Floxy said:
    Will one be able to edit one's posts? I don't see how to at present. This would be very useful so we wouldn't have to keep asking staff to make edits and changes.

This new Vanilla forum is amazing, yet a little daunting at first, think I will find things out as I go along.

Cheers,

Mandy
    Yep, everyone should be able to edit their posts for one hour once they're posted. You should be able to do that by going to the cog icon in the right hand corner of the post, then 'edit'. If that doesn't work for you, let me know. :smile:

Glad you're liking it btw!

Mike

edited May 2018
    Update: I've just edited this thread to include the full list of emojis available, along with their shortcuts:

Mike

It's strange, cuz I can access all threads on my phone. I'll get you some links when I'm not procrastinating getting ready to go out in 10 minutes aha!!
    The Mix said:
    Glad you like it, Skive!

Yep, that's right. Due to the GDPR

Mike

I work for Ordnance Survey and am technical manager of the OS Map shop and a number of applications. Becoming GDPR compliant has been a big bit of work for us. As an individual I think it's a good bit of legislation, but as an IT professional I could have done without it.

With regards to this place, it makes me a little sad that all the converstaions I had with people I got to know quite well over the last 17 years are all now anonymous. :(
    Weekender Offender 
    Abigail said:
    How the hell are you meant to get 500 posts? That's might end up being impossible for some of us. 

It's possible. Trust me. 

Happy posting
    Weekender Offender 
    edited May 2018
    The Mix said:
    Floxy said:

Cheers,

Mandy
    Yep, everyone should be able to edit their posts for one hour once they're posted. You should be able to do that by going to the cog icon in the right hand corner of the post, then 'edit'. If that doesn't work for you, let me know. :smile:

Mike

Thanks Mike. I remember seeing that cog, so will give it a try next time.

Next question, is it possible to be invisible on the forums? Like as before, @Mike

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Is there support for animated avatars? Mine now appears to be broken?
    Weekender Offender 
    Also, I thought Vanilla would enable a more secure log in, ie. https:// but instead it seems to remain http:// as is shown in my screencap 'This connection is not secure...'

edited May 2018
    The Mix said:
    Floxy said:

Cheers,

Mandy

Mike

Sorry to be monopolising your thread, but my profile has no 'Privacy' section in it like the old forum and also, I am unable to use the block option.

We were promised that the option to block someone would be available. Means we'd not read their posts on the forum, useful if happening upon a triggering post.

To sum up:
    No privacy section in my profile
    Unable to use the block option (and not read their posts)
    Unable to be "Invisible" on the forum
    Unable to underline text
    Login unsecure (see attachment)
    And please, where is the full list of emojis?

Skive said:
    Is there support for animated avatars? Mine now appears to be broken?
    Hmm, it doesn't look like there is currently but we should be able to add it. Let me look into this - it would be good to have them.

Mike

Floxy said:
    Also, I thought Vanilla would enable a more secure log in, ie. https:// but instead it seems to remain http:// as is shown in my screencap 'This connection is not secure...'

This is a good question. We will have this very soon, but for now we're still working on it. Watch this space. :wink:

Mike