Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what's the rule on offensive weapons here?

L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
Is this weird?

bassically i went to see where a cycle path went i haven't been down came to a dead end as there was a private gate but the most weirdest thing is there was a bike with no lock and a hammer and flat head screwdriver next to it. Right opposite there were parts of a bike frame just the frame and fork, with no wheels or handlebars. with a kids toy on top some sort of small heater. I dunno if the police should know about anything above?

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey

So i guess they used those sort of weapons to steal the bike wheels. If the weapons where by themselves that would be more concerning and may of been used for something else as defence or something. And maybe the person of the bike reported it.
    Im not sure

- i guess you could always call 101 for non emergancy crime or concerns to the police. And ask them. With these sort of things
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Sorry to be late to your post @L100 but I think Shaunie is right in her advice, but also perhaps you could ask the police if the bike you found was post coded? Bicycles can be post coded and linked with owner using an invisible ink that shows up under a special light. That way they might be able to trace the owner and hand it back to them. I've got an old Moulton bicycle that has been stamped similar. Or, what you found might just be thrown away as a second thought. You were observant though. :)
  • L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    Floxy wrote: »
    Sorry to be late to your post @L100 but I think Shaunie is right in her advice, but also perhaps you could ask the police if the bike you found was post coded? Bicycles can be post coded and linked with owner using an invisible ink that shows up under a special light. That way they might be able to trace the owner and hand it back to them. I've got an old Moulton bicycle that has been stamped similar. Or, what you found might just be thrown away as a second thought. You were observant though. :)

I meant to update this thread

i just asked other pedestrians about hammer and stuff turns out to be left behind by a boat owner. i didn't even know bikes could be marked other then serial (that's what i have written down on my bike) number (also known as frame number). I haven't gone back due to my bike being broken at moment and you can only get down their by long walk or cycle a bit.

I was thinking about back then that's why i thought about asking peds about hammer and stuff etc... I didn't want to mention anything about the other stuff because there were homless guys nearby. (Not saying it's theres but you never know because homeless guys can be odd sometiems)
    Well, post coding has been around for years apparently. I think the idea originated from the USA. Hope I was helpful in letting you know. :)

Mandy
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    These aren't weapons. They're tools.
    Weekender Offender 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Skive wrote: »

I think a hammer is an offensive weapon. An offensive weapon is an - object that can be adapted to cause injury or an object that can be intended to cause injury. A hammer can definetly be intended for injury. And things like hammer attacks happen
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Outside a DIY area a hammer would be thought of as an offensive weapon. Good thinking @Shaunie
  • L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    Thanks but that's what i find weird is why would a boat person need a hammer? Especially when there's docks nearby. Don't boat owners just use ropes to tie near docks?. but if it was related to the stuff opposite it would make sense. Because you don't use a hammer for a bike. Hammers mostly just used for woods and nails right?
    I was only wondering at the time because the ducks had recently been injured due to some sort of weapon. (Not saying what as don't want to reveal my location)
    @L100 just report it to the local police and don't worry any more about it. That's what I'd do.

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Shaunie said:
    Skive wrote: »

I think a hammer is an offensive weapon. An offensive weapon is an - object that can be adapted to cause injury or an object that can be intended to cause injury. A hammer can definetly be intended for injury. And things like hammer attacks happen
    No a hammer primary function is that of a tool. It only becomes an offensive weapon when somebody intends to use it to threaten or attack another person or their property.
    Nothing in this story suggests an intent to use this everyday tool as a weapon.
    Weekender Offender